SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    “Oh, he’s friendly”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Oh, he’s friendly” Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My last dog bite occurred as I was passing a guy on a walking trail who had a Beagle on a leash. As we passed, the dog jumped up and bit my hand. The dog owner did not even see it happen. I turned around to confront the idiot but stopped because it became clear to me that expressing any kind of logical argument to someone who let this happen would be a waste of time.
Did not break the skin but did puncture my GoreTex glove.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16063 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
My own dog is the derelict that Burton describes: 1 year old Golden Retriever, and she assumes the whole world is her best friend and there to give her hugs and pats on the head.

I do keep her on leash where ordinance is posted, have let her off leash on walking trails where there is no instruction posted or where it's considered a "leash free" area (Shelby Farms, etc). Generally I can call her back when she is greeting the next person, but on occasion she is too excited and I have to physically restrain her.

I do agree with Burton's sentiment to control your animal. I also think some of you have some real aggression issues if you think kicking someone's (non-threatening) dog is a reasonable way to resolve a problem. Merry Christmas, by the way.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I do agree with Burton's sentiment to control your animal. I also think some of you have some real aggression issues if you think kicking someone's (non-threatening) dog is a reasonable way to resolve a problem. Merry Christmas, by the way.

If somebody kicked my dog, it's open season and there's no limit. I don't put up with that kind of thing from anybody.

The same would apply if they kicked somebody else's non threatening dog in my presence.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Sounds like somebody's is having a case of the Mondays Fridays.

Seriously though, i have three dogs, all vero friendly and all stay on leash. I have though seen people at Dog Beach get upset because strange dogs run up to them (it’s a beach, off leash beach against the Pacific Ocean)

I love dogs but they need to be respectful. We were at the beach and guy had his dog off leash. The dog popped our volleyball. Not a sorry or offer to replace it.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lurking for years!
Picture of Vegas_Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

If somebody kicked my dog, it's open season and there's no limit. I don't put up with that kind of thing from anybody.

The same would apply if they kicked somebody else's non threatening dog in my presence.

AGREE 100% I have a German shepherd and I was at a park throwing a ball for him. We took a water break and then a guy is walking by holding a tennis ball. He was squeezing it as he walked. My dog walked up to him wagging his tail...stopped about 5 feet from him and sat down ... expecting the guy to throw the ball. The guy yells...get your dog away from me or I will kick him...I calmly said... he is being friendly but if you kick him that is likely to change and I will be talking my dog's side. He turned around and talked away calling me names under his breath. My dog watched him then ran over to me for more fun at the park.

Dave
Not a Newbie! Posting on rare occasions, but lurking for years!

Posts: 585 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Dog hater. Big Grin

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like dogs. I get bit - so? Razz

Posts: 2539 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

If a dog approaches me or my kids unsolicited I'll stomp a mud hole in its ass quicker than I let it bite on of my kids.

If the owner lacks that control over their dog then I guess we go too.

At the dog park is one thing, but in a neighborhood or my area all bets are off.

It's these ignorant ass, "it don't bite" comments that I don't give a shit about, I know it don't bite cause im gonna stomp its ass before it can, don't like it? Keep the damn thing in your yard.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6303 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you define a threatening manner?

Many of the dog-bites I have seen were accompanied by zero warning.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
You are so right. A friend's dog bite me in the thigh so quickly that I had no chance of kicking him away. Luckily, I had my hunting pants plus insulated underwear on and all it did was leave a bruise.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone who loves dogs never met a chained "Junk Yard" dog.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

Sure they have. When I was 14 I inadvertently went in a friend's back yard and encountered a chained German Shepherd that was an Army K9 dog.

It opened up my thigh pretty good, but I didn't need stitches. I had to roll away from him because he was on me.

I still love dogs.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I like dogs and I like hiking but I absolutely hate dog owners who do not leash their dogs in hiking areas.

A couple of weeks ago, I was out hiking and was coming down a trail and came around some trees and got surprised by three barking dogs running towards me in an aggressive manner and was just about to kick the first dog before their owners ran up yelling at the dogs who moved away from me. The owners then mumbled a "sorry" and wouldn't look me in the eye so I proceeded to yell at them to keep their dogs on a leash Mad

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

Many years back, exiting the office at a salvage yard, a pit bull launched at me from around the corner of the building. Fully airborne and headed straight for my crotch, his chain ran out maybe a foot short. Nobody had said anything, bet they got a good laugh. I wanted to kill those mfer's. Mad Mad

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8327 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally agree. We have two dogs and always leash them when on walks. We have a Bernese Mountain dog and we were in an obedience class with him last spring. There were about 12 other dogs/owners in the class. There was a dog that wouldn't quit barking at our dog. The owner said "he's just being friendly". The instructor stopped the class and said that is the worst statement any dog owner could make. She then gave him a 5 minute lecture in front of the whole class. I appreciated it and the message she was trying to send to the whole class.

Nick
nick_mur

Posts: 98 | Location: Peoria IL | Registered: December 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I don't normally let the dog run free when I'm around the general public but sometimes it's OK I suppose, depending on the dog. Around my property he goes where he wants and when he wants and has never worn a collar. He's a dingbat but a friendly and happy-go-lucky dingbat. The UPS guy is his best buddy and the worst he'd ever do is lick you to death.

I was staying at a motel last night though, and was letting him out of the room to pee before bed. We walked out to the parking and he spied a young girl of probably 6-7 years old and took right off to say hello. Big Grin

She spotted him about ten feet out and screamed bloody murder, causing the pooch come to a screeching halt. He hunched his shoulders and put his quickly wagging tail between his legs as he inched closer and closer to her. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen a 100 pound dog do. They were both scared to death...for just a second, then they quickly became great friends. This morning as we were leaving we saw them in the parking lot again and the boy and the girl rolled around in the snow together having the time of their life. Days like that make life worth living.

I guess it does depend on the dog though. If I have a Golden Retriever running at me with a smile on his face, my reaction is to drop to a knee and give him a hug. Other breeds? Maybe not so much.

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
My uncle had a bull dog mix that turned on him and bit him in the legs and arms. Luckily, his daughter was visiting and got a gun and shot the dog.

He spent two weeks in the hospital.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
I am just the opposite, if the dog is friendly it can expect scratches and a gentle ear rub from me. I don't like pit bulls and do not trust them as far away as I can shoot one!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Sounds like somebody's is having a case of the Mondays Fridays.

Seriously though, i have three dogs, all vero friendly and all stay on leash. I have though seen people at Dog Beach get upset because strange dogs run up to them (it’s a beach, off leash beach against the Pacific Ocean)

I love dogs but they need to be respectful. We were at the beach and guy had his dog off leash. The dog popped our volleyball. Not a sorry or offer to replace it.

Were they at an off-leash beach?

I was referring to people sitting down at an off-leash beach, with a hundred plus dogs enjoying their afternoon there, and then getting upset because dogs are interested in the peoples' food, shake themselves off after getting wet, chasing each other/a ball too close, etc.

This beach is dog friendly enough Over the Line is not allowed and playing catch with a hardball is seriously frond upon due to the potential of a dog getting hit (football and Frisbee are okay).

Strangely, the people most upset do not appear to be tourists either.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of compdocjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Strangers: can I pet your dog?
Me: nope. She bites.

My pit bull really does bite so I don't let people pet her. She is always on leash except in our fenced yard or inside the house.

Always good to keep your pit under control, mine is very protective too, he'll let you know "Don't Touch Me" when he's on the leash.

Posts: 16 | Location: Down South | Registered: September 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post