SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Braces (teeth)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Braces (teeth) Login/Join 
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted
I get it- you went to college. Then Dental School. Then extra for Orthodontist.

But SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS to glue some wires on my kids teeth for 12-18 months?! And insurance doesn’t pay shit towards it?

Robbery.

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Teeth are luxury bones.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I went through this with both of my kids, one of whom graduated college and just emigrated to Israel to join the IDF and the other is a senior in college. BOTH had "pre-orthodonture" = more money. We went with a monthly payment plan, which spread out the hurt. Also, our insurance paid a LITTLE toward braces, like maybe 10%

It hurts, but your kids will thank you for it. Cheers.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I don't remember a kid wearing braces in the 50's-60's. Now every kid wears them. Both my kids - now in their early 40's wore them but at least my insurance did pay one-half the cost and I flexed the rest.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I don't remember a kid wearing braces in the 50's-60's. Now every kid wears them.
Not just kids. We had friends that got them at 30-some years old. The invisible kind.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Not just kids. We had friends that got them at 30-some years old. The invisible kind.

My ex-mother-in-law got braces at 70ish.
The non-invisible, metal bracket kind. Roll Eyes

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Pretty uncommon, but I've had a few patients in their 70s. One was a woman who had spent the past decade caring for a very ill husband and wanted to do something for herself. Another was a farmer that broke his jaw and needed the teeth straightened in combination with jaw surgery. A few others. Maybe a handful in 30 years of practice.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't remember a kid wearing braces in the 50's-60's.
I had a pronounced overbite, had braces from the late 1940s to the mid 1950s.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

My mom had them in her 40s.
My college roommate had them from 6th grade through halfway through freshman year in college. All for a stubborn tooth that took its time getting grown into place enough to put a bracket on.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm 48 years old and may need them soon. My front teeth are shifting and creating a gap and my rear teeth are out of whack too and I keep biting the shit out of the inside of my mouth. Confused

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Both my younger kids went through it. four grand each. My daughter stopped wearing her retainer. My youngest is still wearing his. Insurance covered $1k each.

My oldest says he needs braces and I told him to make the Army pay for them since he just turned 30.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
I turned mine in on my FSA (Flexible spending account).

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14005 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I don't remember a kid wearing braces in the 50's-60's. Now every kid wears them.

I'm reading this while wearing $6k worth of plastic in my mouth in my early 40's.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I paid for braces for both of my daughters. It was well worth it. I have a hard time understanding people who do not want to pay for professional services.

I guess you could try the dental schools for a discount. Braces are not just for cosmetic purposes.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
But SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS to glue some wires on my kids teeth for 12-18 months?

My folks didn't like to discuss it in front of me, but I think mine, in the mid=1970s, cost ~$1500. Forty years of inflation … well, there you are. BTW, mine were on far longer than that, but before getting them I could practically eat corn on the cob through a knothole.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Weaseldriver
posted Hide Post
I hear ya. I paid for 6 sets of braces, 6 sets of wisdom teeth extractions so they wouldn't mess up the work the braces did, along with 6 cars and tuition for 6 college degrees. Figured it was all my fault for having so many kids in the first place.

Sorry, I know this is your bitch, I was just having PTSD.

Posts: 468 | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
ouch,

Might shop around. My wife (very active 60 year old) just did the invisalign. I'm pretty sure the cost was much lower than you're talking about (or our insurance paid a lot more).

Our Dentist's wife is some well know Invisalign person. Speaks at conventions etc. A real guru. Drop me an email if you want me to see if they know of someone in your area.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:Might shop around. My wife (very active 60 year old) just did the invisalign. I'm pretty sure the cost was much lower than you're talking about (or our insurance paid a lot more).

It's important to compare similar treatments. Invisalign is best suited for mild to moderate crowding with relatively minor bite discrepancies. That type of case wouldn't be at the top of the fee range for conventional braces, either. It's kind of like paintless dent repair for a door ding vs repair/repaint for a major crunch.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are about half way through, with braces on our 13 year old. $4800

Posts: 406 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I smashed my 2 front teeth into a chalkboard tray when I was a kid screwing off so my adult teeth ended up coming in jacked up…. Got braces in 9th grade still had them on when I graduated high school (got them off shortly after)

I’m not sure what it cost my parents for this, but I feel like it’s probably less than any other doctor you visit. Had a buddy spend like 3 hours at ER after an accident and had a $10k+ bill (and they didn’t really do anything)

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post