SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    A Litany of Small Annoyances
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Litany of Small Annoyances Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAgnes:
Eurotrash devices on cars: Push button ignition switches, ...

I love key-less ignition, though I've concerns about its long-term reliability.

quote:
... incomprehensible icons on controls vs WORDS.

Eh... you learn 'em, eventually.

quote:
And whatever happened to LOW Range on auto transmissions? Gone!

Do you mean "low gear?" As opposed to "low-lock" that some trucks and SUVs (used to?) have?

I haven't bothered to look on my wife's 2014 Equinox, but my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee lets me manually select whatever gear I want--including 1st. (And it's damn low, too.)

My 2007 Chevy TrailBlazer had a "low-lock" transmission setting. I experimented with it. I never used it.

quote:
New cars with such small turbocharged high-compression engines that they require Premium gas. Like my Volvo.

Don't buy them if they annoy you?

My JGC with a 5.7L HEMI requires mid-grade. I knew that when I bought it. If I hadn't want to pay the premium for mid-grade gasoline I wouldn't have bought it.

Question: Is it possible the Volvo's performance is so much greater, using with that little turbo-charged engine using premium gasoline, that it (more than?) offsets the increased fuel cost?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would a push button start be any less reliable than a keyed switch ? It's probably just a momentary switch that energizes a relay .

Posts: 4057 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

Why would a push button start be any less reliable than a keyed switch ? It's probably just a momentary switch that energizes a relay .
There are at least two more components that might fail -- the bluetooth or wifi or whatever it is, one piece in the fob, and the other tied in to the vehicle's control system.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

There are at least two more components that might fail -- the bluetooth or wifi or whatever it is, one piece in the fob, and the other tied in to the vehicle's control system.
What about the " smart key " that conventional systems use ? That's a failure point .

Posts: 4057 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
It’s “woke” to use “alright?!?” Huh

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

What about the " smart key " that conventional systems use ? That's a failure point .
True. I miss the days when you could deal with vehicle problems with a the contents of a simple toolbox.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Less gas = less weight = better gas mileage.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't they do those MPG tests for the window sticker under specific conditions (1/4 tank of gas, sea level, flat course, etc)?

If so, 1/4 of 16 gallons vs 1/4 of 18 or 20 gallons shouldn't matter that much, should it?

Posts: 798 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
here's what happened to put me off push button starts. Clearly my fault, though:

Dropped wife off at home after a lunch out. She had driven to the cafe, and I drove home. Let her out and she tells me she needs something from the store, so I drive to the store and shut off the engine. Key fob? In her purse at home.
Get my stuff from the store and get in the car--will not start! I do not have the fob!
See, the car will run until you shut it off, regardless where the key is, but if you turn it
off, you are dead in the water.
Easy mistake to make, too.

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 687 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
"All Right" is two words, regardless of what some woke dictionaries say!

[dazedandconfused] Alright, all right, awl rite. [/dazedandconfused]

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post