SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Helped my niece buy a used car .
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Helped my niece buy a used car . Login/Join 
posted
My niece was buying a car for her teenage daughter . Her husband was at the Deer camp with their son so she asked me to come with her . They had found a 2013 Ford Focus at a local dealer . The Dealer came down from 15k to 12.5k for Black Friday . We tried everything we could think of to get them to move just a little bit more but no dice . We even left in the middle of the negotiations to go eat lunch and halfway expected a phone call ( Been there before ) . She wanted an extended warranty . No flexibility there either . They were very polite but would not negotiate at all . The Finance guy even said those days are over . Whatever . She wrote them a check and we left with the car but it wasn't any fun .

Posts: 3971 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
That’s been my experience. Any “deal” advertised on the web is pretty much non-negotiable around here.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Great time to sell and a poor time to buy. You're probably lucky to get $2,500 off. I doubt there is a good extended warranty on a 8 - almost 9 year old car. But, if you really need one, your phone will ring in the next day or two. I hope she enjoys the ride.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I bought my Rogue at CarMax last November.

Wrote them a check and drove it out. I knew at the time there were no cars to be had and got a smoking deal on it just before prices exploded.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Bought a Bronco Sport around 6 months ago and discovered the same thing. Demand is high and supply is low, so it's hard to get them to come down.

Got them to go $500 below MSRP and that was it. Since then I've heard of people paying a premium over MSRP for the same thing, so I feel lucky.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Seller's market for sure.
My dad spent all day last Saturday helping my sister get a 'new' car.

He's got 30 years in the car business (service side) so he knows the tricks & how to spot a bad car.

She ended up in a 2015 Escape Titanium for about $3k OTD, with a generous trade value on her Grand Caravan.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Great time to sell and a poor time to buy. You're probably lucky to get $2,500 off. I doubt there is a good extended warranty on a 8 - almost 9 year old car. But, if you really need one, your phone will ring in the next day or two. I hope she enjoys the ride.
She got an extended warranty from the dealer and it's pretty awesome . Basically like a new car warranty but it was pricey . While we were eating lunch we called Car Shield and got a quote from them just to compare . The dealer was actually cheaper .

Posts: 3971 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
used car prices are like up 25 percent. I had a discussion on and I said negociating a car price is dead. Its now a best price take it or leave it. And since demand is up and supply is down I dont see it changing anytime soon. be happy they didnt sell the focus to someone else over lunch.

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The housing market and car markets seem to be tracking almost identically, an EXCELLENT time to sell something and a really bad time to buy something.

I stopped at a Honda dealer on my way home a few weeks ago for shits and giggles because I was toying with the idea of getting rid of a 25 mpg Mazda5 for a 40 mpg Honda Fit and they had ONE there.

A 2015 with 55,000 miles and a price tag of $19,000

A six year old car with 55,000 miles on it is now selling for MORE than a new one like 2 years ago, WTF.

I left in disgust but that thing was gone within a week.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You did the best you could. I walked out before Mother’s Day when the dealer wouldn’t move to list on our new Kia Telluride. They called three times. The third time they said they’d take my price. While handing the finance guy the check I told him this was flat out the worst deal I have ever made on a car. He looked a little shocked.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Sigh. I totaled my wife’s Highlander last month. We’ve been sharing my car and dreading the thought of even looking for another vehicle for her.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My other niece wants a Toyota Highlander really badly but there's nothing to choose from around here . She has a nice Explorer but she has the fever and you can't tell her anything . IF something shows up at the dealer she'll pay through the nose for it .

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
guy I used to work with now works at a local Chevy dealer,

he said they got in 10 SUV's (wanna say Tahoe's) and sold 9 of them in a few days,

at list,
with $5K of add on's
and no negotiations,

folks walked in, said I will take it, stroked a check and left with it,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Wife's 02 Camry will be going to my daughter when she gets her license in a couple months. So we started looking in October. Wife thought it was too early to start looking.

Two things I noticed were that if the dealer had plenty of cars on the lot that meant they were added an adjustment cost to the MSRP. The dealers that had no cars on the lot were selling at MSRP.

We ended up going through Costco and ordering a 2022 Subaru Ascent Onyx edition, they said 2-4 months. Costco pricing was $350 under MSRP.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
My other niece wants a Toyota Highlander really badly but there's nothing to choose from around here.

We recently purchased a 21 Highlander Hybrid. We paid full sticker for it. So far, I think it’s the best overall outfit we’ve ever owned out of nearly 40 cars, trucks and SUVs. 36-40 mpg ain’t bad for a 3 row SUV.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Wow. We just got back from a local dealership. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Mad

I was texting with a woman in the dealership's internet sales dept this afternoon. No, I don't want to come in and put a deposit down on a car that might be delivered next week. But, I'm ready to buy today if you have something that matches what we're looking for.

She said they did and I said we'd be there in a couple of hours. We show up 2.5 hours later and - surprise, surprise - the car had just been sold. Uh huh, sure.

I was ready to walk out, but we'd driven 30 minutes to get there. So, we agreed to stick around while they pulled a similar model around so we could get a feel for how it drove.

We take it for a drive, get back, and me and the wife head for my car.

The salesguy says: "Where are you going?"
Me: "Home".
SG: "My manager wants to talk to you."
Me: "That's not necessary since we're not buying a car tonight."
SG: "It'll only take a minute. I gave you 15 minutes of my time, and you can't give my manager 2 minutes?"

I wanted to say 'Fuck you. You wasted over an hour of my time when you told me you had the car here on the lot and didn't'. But, I bit my tongue, said "I'm sure he'll get over it" and left.

That was an hour ago and I'm still fuming. No wonder why Carmax and Carvana are killing these dealerships.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
coworker and his wife just bought a new pallisade. $3500 over msrp. when they were doing the paperwork another couple walked in to test drive it. too late.

had my daughter's car in to subaru for a $35 oil change, every new car was marked $1500 over.

not going back, the $35 oil change had to be argued about. Cheaper to do it myself.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
We bought my Venza last May. One dealer was willing to do a dealer trade as all they had were black. A dealer in Seattle had a red one. They’d bring it down. OK,haggled, did the paper work and waited. After an hour I hunted the salesman down. Supposedly “someone was looking at it.” Then got that they had texted the salesman. When I suggested The phone, the story became that the other dealer didn’t want to trade but we could go up and deal with them. We left.
Next day we went to another dealer. Was told a hauler would be in Wednesday. If one was on it we’d have to rush down. Next morning it had arrived and we got to the dealership. Test drive and started dealing. Meanwhile, another couple showed up and started kicking the tires with a salesman. Then that salesman cam and asked for the keys! We’re signing the papers and they want to drive the car?
I confess our salesman was fairly honest and didn’t make you want to shower afterwards. When we picked it up he gave a good class on the bells, whistles and such.
Checking, it looks like the price has gone way up.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:

had my daughter's car in to subaru for a $35 oil change, every new car was marked $1500 over.

not going back, the $35 oil change had to be argued about. Cheaper to do it myself.
A dealer oil change for $35 is a good deal. Especially if they use synthetic oil .

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:

A dealer oil change for $35 is a good deal. Especially if they use synthetic oil .

I wouldn't even consider doing it myself if I could get it for $35.00. I get it for a little less than that from a local mechanic.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post