SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    “Watch for Motorcycles!”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Watch for Motorcycles!” Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My riding style is a mix of very cautious and aggressive, depending on the environment. Around town I ride like everyone is going to hit me, turn in front of me or pull out in front of me. When the roads open up, I do what I need to do to get out and in front of traffic so I am by myself. I use the bikes acceleration and maneuverability to get this done.
I want to be alone, so if there is a mistake made, I want it to be my mistake!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I was headed over to pick up dinner a couple hours ago. I was stopped at a light. Light turned, I started off, and this guy on a crotch rocket goes blasting by me on the right side of the left turn lane--no more than 2-3 feet away <smh>

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I don't see many people around here practice ATGATT

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
My riding style is “everyone is sincerely trying to kill me”.
I never have the Right of Way.
I out accelerate city traffic most of the time (I do NOT “charge” green lights), and ride faster than most traffic when on the interstate. It is, IMO, much safer to be passing rather than being passed.
Also, check those mirrors. Just because you can get stopped before hitting something in front of you, doesn’t mean the guy behind you can or will.

I am also NOT one of those guys that feels retaliation is in order for every single infraction against my ROW by someone with more wheels than me. Honestly I’ve never really understood that attitude. I know I have had lapses in judgement and attention, so I give them the benefit of the doubt. Plus I’m usually too busy with handlebars, levers, and a twist grip to perform “public relations sign language”. Plus you’re just not gonna win a fight against a vehicle bigger than you.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ this is exactly the same mentality I have when I ride. I have drivers pull out in front of me occasionally and always try to anticipate it and know how I am going to evade. These days I spend most of my time in rolling hills and rural areas with very few cars so I am lucky to be able to minimize the number of cars that don’t see me but it can happen anywhere.

I’d rather see a bumper sticker that says “listen for motorcycles” because you will probably hear my 90° 1000cc V Twin sport bike before you see it. The siren song of my flat plane crank inline fours are even louder. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I ride. In fact, I have four bikes licensed and insured right now.

I also drive 18 wheelers. I can tell you that riders seem to want to die. When a gaggle comes up on me, and they start to pass, the first few bikes will pass and then resume normal speed. That doesn’t give enough room for the rest, but who needs room? All the rest pass anyway, and they will tuck up a few feet off my front bumper. Every. Single. Time. I have to kick down the cruise, slow 80,000lbs, and wait for them to clear out, then bring my 40 tons back up to speed.

How about this. Motorcycles stay away from semis. Running you over wouldn’t even scratch my paint. I ride, but I would never ¡¡¡NEVER!!! tuck myself an inch off a truck’s front bumper. In the KW W900L I’m currently driving, I probably wouldn’t even see you until your ground up carcass flipped out from under the rear of the trailer.

All the slogans about motorcycle safety do ring hollow considering how I see many people ride.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
sigcrazy7, If any of those riders had ever been near a semi when it blew out a tire and felt the concussive blast they would know to stay the hell away.

I had a semi in front of me blow out a tire spectacularly and was shocked by the noise. I was about 50 yards or so away and it still surprised me with its violent, concussive blast and extremely loud sound.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I was a little dazed and just couldn't understand why he pulled out when he was looking right at me?

I'm sure you know now that he wasn't looking at you. He was looking past you. He (and a lot of people) never saw you. We discuss that at the MSF classes talking to students about "inattentional blindness" and that we can never assume a driver sees a motorcycle.

Glad you weren't hurt seriously.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
How about this. Motorcycles stay away from semis.

Especially semis hauling cattle, pigs, chickens or bees.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:

I'm sure you know now that he wasn't looking at you. He was looking past you. He (and a lot of people) never saw you. We discuss that at the MSF classes talking to students about "inattentional blindness" and that we can never assume a driver sees a motorcycle.

Glad you weren't hurt seriously.

Yes he was apparently looking right through me, so you can't assume a car driver who is looking at you actually sees you.
Thank you, yes I am probably fortunate.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I avoid semis, large trucks and buses and get around them as quick as I can, the first chance I get and get as far from them as possible. People seem especially stupid around them.
Try riding behind a Yooper log truck. You get an endless high velocity shower of rocks, bark, splinters, dirt clods and grit. And they occasionally have spectacular brake failures. Or roll over! Eek

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post