SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Cabela’s rant.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabela’s rant. Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
Is it just me or is it expecting too much when I walk into the Gun Library and don’t even get acknowledged?

I went there today to use up my Capital One in store points, rainy day with one of the grandsons. We walk in, he doesn’t even look up from his screen or say a word. Either on the way in or out.

I work part time in a Gun shop and we always acknowledge people walking in and when leaving with a “thank you for coming in” even if no purchase is made.

Sad part, I had a little interest in an old Colt Police Positive in .32-20. Not a high degree of interest but if he had engaged me in a conversation it’s possible I would have bought it. Call me hard headed but that’s how I am.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8350 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Last time i was in Dundee, I don't think they even had it open. If they did, it was just used everyday stuff.

Posts: 11282 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brad, it’s been open for awhile now, maybe a year or two. Mostly new stock but occasionally something of interest.

That Police Positive, finish was pretty much gone, Bakelite grips, at least the left one looked good. Only questions would have been mechanical, how tight the lockup was and the condition of the bore.

I may have been in a more receptive mood to ask about it but I just bought a 1964-6 Detective Special 2” in it’s box yesterday from work and my CC looks ugly enough with that, a emergency car repair and a scheduled vet appointment last week.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8350 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
To me Cabela’s is to much Bass Pro now, yes I know they merged.

I don’t go hardly ever.

Posts: 6377 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I quit going to Cabelas when I started noticing that most of their stuff is made in China.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cabela's is iffy down here. Sometimes they have really good prices or guns you can't get elsewhere, other times not so much. They have a 320 Scorpion AXG right now for 999, the "other guy" wants 1299. As far as being greeted, I wish most of those bozos would leave me alone anyway. If I want one I'll get their attention.

Posts: 17245 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
To me Cabela’s is to much Bass Pro now, yes I know they merged.

I don’t go hardly ever.

They didn't merge, they took over Cabela's and destroyed what it once was. They may as well hang a Bass Pro sign out front, because it isn't even close to being a Cabela's.

I hope the lazy ass grandkids of the founder are slowly going dead broke, because they should spend the rest of their lives living in a run down single wide for what they did to Cabela's.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
At least you apparently have an actual Cabela's. Here (Bristol, TN/VA), they kept the Bass Pro on the TN side open and shut down the Cabela's on the VA side. Yes, one or the other may have been kind of redundant, but the now empty huge building and parking lot can't be used for much else.

The Glendale, AZ Cabela's I went to when I lived there (2006-08) had a very good (i.e., nice guns at not-bargain-but-not-ripoff-either prices) "gun 'library.'" Here, not so much, in either of the stores.

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Basically I go there for my “free stuff” with my points I accumulate. They may get a few extra bucks from me, yesterday nine dollars over my points balance but that’s all.

They pretty much burned me out on purchasing any serial numbered item in 2018 after they lost and lied about the results of a NICS check, they tried to tell me that in the past I had declared Michigan as my birth state, this time Tennessee and NICS informed him of the discrepancy. I said “Where’s the 4473? NICS doesn’t work that way, it’s a proceed, a research, a delay or a denial. What’s my NICS number? I do these all the time at work (LGS) and it doesn’t work like you’re trying to tell me.” Amazingly they found my 4473 about fifteen minutes later and it was marked “proceed”. And guess what, my form said Michigan not Tennessee as place,of birth. Why this was, well I had a suspicion not based in fact, we’ll leave it at that.

Day after Christmas 2019 I went to use up a couple gift cards I received. The Library had a BHP in .40 marked $749.00 and an additional 10% off that day. I was tempted but remembered the 2018 debacle and passed taking into consideration that I really wanted it in 9mm and not .40.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Is it just me
... doesn’t even look up from his screen or say a word. Either on the way in or out.

I work part time in a Gun shop and we always acknowledge people walking in and when leaving with a “thank you for coming in” even if no purchase is made.

It's because you were properly trained and managed in the true-form definition of what a retail salesman or employee should be.

I blame management for accepting this irresponsible behavior more than just a bad employee.
It stops at the top, even though we want to blame the young for this, it is really a management problem.
Sad as it is. {sigh}

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The guy in the Library was not a younger person, probably at least in his late 40’s or older. I really didn’t pay much attention to him after his initial ignoring me.

It’s not just Cabela’s. Last night I went to the local Meijer. I’m going down a main aisle and there was a throw pillow on the floor. Approaching me was a store employee literally walked around it and continued on his way past me. Even if he was off the clock what would it have taken, ten seconds to bend over, pick it up and set it back in the display?

Back when I was in management I always stressed to my staff that I wasn’t too good to pick up a broom and neither should they be, I managed by example not by edict.

Not bragging but yesterday I had to stop into work to put a request in for a specific day off. The staff was busy, on the floor was a small stack of cardboard to be tossed out. I’m not on the clock but I still grabbed it and out to the dumpster it went.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^^ I hear ya on the degradation of retail.
Totally agree.
It is a lost art now days, it shouldn't be ~ it should just be a good business practice.
As far as the age thing ~ it was just a general statement and I still put all the responsibility on company management.
A year ago I went into Golf Galaxy after my wife gave me her credit card and said go "buy something for your birthday Smile" .
I walked up and down every aisle and not one person even made eye contact.
There were at least five employees there.
I left and went to a different store.
Haven't been back.
Would never have happened at Golfsmith (purchased by Golf Galaxy/Dick's).
Pitiful how poorly trained and clueless retail is now days.
I could give countless examples of how when I worked retail in AV Business we handled business but what is the point? Frown

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Last time I was at the Dundee Cabela's I had a gift card to use. It was not too long after Bass Pro took over. I spent an hour and a half looking for something worth hauling home for free (gift card). No luck! Mostly made in China crap. I haven't been back since.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1721 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^

I went in looking for pistol gun socks yesterday. None in the store. It’s like a hundred plus mile round trip so I wasn’t going home empty handed, had to find something. So ended up with a couple boxes of .38 Specials, a pack of .38 Snap Caps and a foray into the toy department for the grandson.

A few years ago it was that I’d set myself a spending limit when I went there. Last few times it’s been more of how can I use up the gift cards or the CC point balance.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
To me Cabela’s is too much Bass Pro now, yes I know they merged.

I don’t go hardly ever.

They didn't merge, they took over Cabela's and destroyed what it once was. They may as well hang a Bass Pro sign out front, because it isn't even close to being a Cabela's.

I hope the lazy ass grandkids of the founder are slowly going dead broke, because they should spend the rest of their lives living in a run down single wide for what they did to Cabela's.

Totally agree. What was Cabela's is no longer. They now suck big time. And I no longer look to them for anything.
Here, Scheel's is the way to go for a brick n mortar.
https://www.scheels.com/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16505 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I go to Cabelas to shop for all my guns - let me clarify:
- Cabelas has a LARGE inventory on hand
- perfect opportunity for hands on to test the feel and features.
- after I find what I like - I laugh at their pricing and go to my LGS to order what I like!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4650 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

I was visiting a friend in MT and on the way there, he told me to check out the Scheel's in Billings. GREAT STORE!

Then on our way back to PA, we stopped at the Scheels in Sioux Falls SD, the same - GREAT Store!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I’ll just continue to use their CC and when enough points accumulate I’ll just turn those into ammunition.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Cabelas has been dead to me since the buyout and they were skating on thin ice before that.

They got a whole lot of my money back when they were still mostly mail-order. I used to love getting that big-ass catalog every year. Back then, and even when they had a few scattered stores (I've been to the Mitchell and Dundee ones and they were nice), they were great. Now there's 60-70 stores, their prices suck, selections suck, customer service sucks, and they keep the damn lights turned down so low you can't see a damn thing.

BassPro can blow me, the Scheels' that I've been in have had obscene prices, and Sportsman's Warehouse seems to be going the way of the aforementioned. Most, if not all, of my outdoorsy purchases are done at a small local shop these days.

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

This bears repeating. I got to experience Scheels for the first time myself last Saturday in Sparks, NV. What a great store, filled with great people. I’m definitely a fan and will undoubtedly return. What an awesome store!

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5613 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post