SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why do companies still use USPS to ship?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do companies still use USPS to ship? Login/Join 
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
I just got back my 365 slide I had milled from Maple Leaf. They sent it USPS with signature required. Guess what... it was tossed right in my mailbox with a big old yellow sticker stating signature required. I checked the online tracking and it showed I had signed for it. Which is crazy as I was at work.

Not just USPS. FedEx did that to me twice, left 2 handguns on my doorstep on 2 different occasions, and BOTH times I was home all day waiting for it.

During covid every carrier has quasi-signatures. FedEx and ups always at least knocked on the door waited for someone to answer then left… usps left stuff in mailbox, at doorstep, wherever and never even rang the bell. Always seemed to work out fine for me, but we were running our Ffl out of the house at the time so often guns and expensive parts left at the door… always wondered the same thing if I was a piece of shit and decided to file a false claim how that would go… even if I didn’t pay for insurance if whoever shipped it paid for a signature and they chose not to get one who’s liable?

Unfortunately I’m a decent human and never did that so I guess I’ll never know

It always kinda irritated me because we use the post office to ship a lot of stuff. And it’s $2.50-$3 something like that for a signature…. If their policy was we don’t get signatures that’s ok, but to continue offering the service and taking the $2-3 per package for it is wrong

Their GPS tracking system can pinpoint to the exact address where the package was scanned as delivered, so pulling a fast one on them may not be as easy as you think.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Life is good again. Roy arrived today, all older movies and accompanied by Gene and a Tex Ritter film.

Still not too high on USPS.

Funny-not "ha ha funny," but my Grandfather worked for the Post Office back in the forties-fifties as a Rural Mail Carrier." He'd let me ride with him as long as a Democrat was in office, but when those "Godless Republicans" got in (Ike in '52), he was concerned that he could lose his job if they caught me. He knew everyone, personally on his route.

Even much later, up till couple of years ago, I had a mail carrier here that was crippled to some degree yet he delivered fifty pounds of shot without a whimper.Great guy and life diminished when he retired.

I just don't know what happened to the USPS, but the last couple of years has made me wonder. Got another knife coming, first class, from Oregon. Supposed to be here Monday.

One can only hope.

Bob

Posts: 1557 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
The mail carrier usually delivers a package to my doorstep if it won’t fit in the mailbox. Yesterday I saw her stop for about 20 seconds at the box (instead of the usual 1/2 second), then zoom off. I went out to check. There’s a box WEDGED in my mailbox. I don’t know how she got it I there. I struggled for several minutes before I finally got enough grip on the end and wiggled it out bit by bit. I thought I would have to get a boxcutter knife and perform a boxectomy.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I once had a padded envelope stuffed inside my little PO box. I would get the mail real early on the way to work, before the windows opened and couldn't ask for help, so I had to struggle for a while to get it out the door side. When I finally got it out, it said "Do not fold" on it.
Inside was a 45-RPM record someone had sent me unexpectedly. How they managed to bend it into a U and stuff in the box without breaking it, I'll never know.

As far a cheapest goes? I just shipped a pair of fairly light boots from New York back to Danner Oregon. $33.00 was the cheapest way. Eek

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'll agree w/ others above in that, in my experience, USPS and UPS are better than FedEx (and it seems DHL as well).

I haven't had any issues with USPS or UPS in recent memory. Thankfully, other than Prime, that's how most things get delivered to me.

I bought something recently and the seller used FedEx. Tracking shows the package took a nice detour and arrived days later than it should have. Even though I paid extra for expedited shipping. WTF FedEx? How hard is it to ship a package? There should be automatic refunds when shipments are delayed (not full refunds, just appropriate for how long it really took to arrive).

DHL was similar - took a nice detour but was only a day later than expected.

ETA: let me add that FedEx shipped later from the midwest (by 2 days) and still arrived days later than the DHL pkg that shipped from Asia. In my area, USPS, UPS, Prime and OnTrac seem on the ball. FedEx is the lone shipper who is frequently late without explanation.

ETA2: Wanted to add another WTF FedEx for screwing me over yet again. I think from now on, I need to add a comment to any order I place online - DO NOT USE FEDEX.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: konata88,

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started using;

www.pirateship.com/

You get choices of USPS & UPS. I have found that using their 1st class is better than Priority & 1st class has the same tracking at half the price.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4246 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I use mostly Priority Mail and they've done a lot better than UPS or FedEx.
The exception is what's called Smartpost, a joint service with USPS and UPS.
The absolute worst is DHL but few companies use them and I don't think individuals have that option.

Posts: 9441 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Having so many USPS sucks threads, I’ve come to understand that our mail carriers are great. As to what happens before it gets to town I have low expectations. Nothing has been lost or destroyed, maybe delayed, but again low expectations.

I’ve been in the distribution industry for 25 years. I might be more forgiving, having an understanding of how things happen.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
What does it mean when FedEx indicates that shipping status is “pending a delivery date” while the pkg is in transit? I’m thinking this shouldn’t happen at all since they are in full control of the package. They may be wrong by a day but seems like they should at least always have a target or estimated arrival date. I don’t think this should ever be a status. But at most once.

But three times? In one week? Once after the pkg has arrived the local hub? We can’t narrow to a day when the pkg is only 30 miles away? Call me and I’ll come pick up the damn pkg. another wtf moment brought to you by FedEx.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

I use mostly Priority Mail and they've done a lot better than UPS or FedEx.

The exception is what's called Smartpost, a joint service with USPS and UPS.
I receive my small package deliveries at The UPS Store; SmartPost is never a problem. Just about everything that is sent by SmartPost winds up via UPS all the way, with the Post Office never getting involved.

I typically receive an email from UPS informing me of a "delivery exception," stating that they were going to be in the neighborhood anyway, so they delivered the package directly instead of handing it off to the Post Office.

Makes sense, the brown truck drops many packages at The UPS Store every day, so it's probably more efficient to dump everything there instead of taking stuff to the Post Office.

I usually receive SmartPost deliveries a day or two earlier than originally scheduled, because the Post Office handoff is bypassed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30524 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
I manufacture and sell a battery charger....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33388...3:g:fEUAAOSwopRYe~Z2

I've sold thousands of these and only shipped USPS. Never a problem!!

Posts: 172 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Once sent a package by UPS High priority / signed reciept/ overnight guaranteed delivery..... Time sensitive shipment. ..... Update== no signed reciept / did not arrive overnight delivery (actually 4 days for delivery arival) / then 2weeks later they had the nerve to tell me to come in and pay up for the not correct price their employee had not charged enough..... Replied that they could go pound sand and to get the correct shipping fee from their employee who had not properly charged me and did not provide the service that had contracted for and that if they even thought about contacting me again about this matter that I had documents and reciepts to prove my side and that they would be hearing from my attorney........Guess what...Nothing more heard from UPS. ................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1938 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Sat at home yesterday afternoon because FedEx was going to deliver a "Direct Signature Required" package, a computer.

At 5:45pm I get e-mail that at 5:03 the driver was unable to deliver the package. Exception Reason: "Recipient Location Security Delay". Which after sitting on hold with FedEx means he couldn't get in the Security Gate.

Well there is no "Security Gate" on my house, my street or my subdivision. Phone Rep says he will send a message to the driver.

At 3:10am this morning it shows back out for delivery. IF it shows up today my intention is to get the computer and then refuse to sign for it.

Posts: 1340 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Had some parts supposed to be showing up today for my truck from Rockauto. Was planning to install them thos afternoon, because it's my day off. Checked this morning and they were out for delivery with FedEx (presumably ground). Waited all day and they never showed, so I just now went back to the website, and now they show "In Transit" at the depot in South Bend. FedEx rolled the status back with no explanation, no excuse...it's just magically back at the depot like it was never on the truck, even though this morning they said it was.

So now my truck is still sitting in the driveway with a leaking radiator, not getting fixed on my day off, because FedEx is incompetent and won't do their job. Mad

Posts: 8381 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So now my truck is still sitting in the driveway with a leaking radiator, not getting fixed on my day off, because FedEx is incompetent and won't do their job.

^^^^^^^^^^^
They all make up shit about where your item is. Tracking is a joke.

Posts: 17159 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post