SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People who can’t stop babbling
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People who can’t stop babbling Login/Join 
posted
The Mrs. and I went into a new range today for the first time and the man who greeted us would not shut up about the deals for the range membership. After ignoring verbal and physical cues I finally turned my back to him and walked away. I’ll bet my wife was stuck for 6 or 7 minutes. 20 minutes later he tried to corner me again. I turned my back again and he still kept trying to engage me. What the hell is wrong with people?
This is now the closest range to my house but I may never go back in there. I can’t believe the owner keeps a guy like this on his staff.

Posts: 899 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
How strong were your verbal cues?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They’re a lot stronger when the Mrs. isn’t with me. I’m not too shy about offending rude people.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Gah. That stuff drives me nuts.

Fortunately (for me...) I'm enough of a misanthrope that I can comfortably say something like "I need to get back to work" and just walk away.

There's one neighbor that can't even take THAT as a hint and follows me around while I'm doing whatever. I just ignore him until he goes away. He doesn't seem to take offense, not that I give a shit if he does.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually out in public I tend to have a facial expression that keeps those types of folks away from me. Works pretty well. I can scare a Jehovah's Witness right off my porch just by opening the door!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I can scare a Jehovah's Witness right off my porch just by opening the door!

Opening the door dripping wet and wearing only a towel works, too. Or so I'm told.... Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I have a neighbor who is like that. If I’m getting out of my car coming home from work and see him outside I have to make an effort to avoid eye contact and quickly move inside or he will corner me for 15 minutes. He’s the clueless type who cannot see visual clues (or doesn’t care) such as me looking over my shoulder, backing up etc. He’s just keeps on talking.

I usually just have to cut him off and say “sorry I have to get inside to my wife and kids”.

I can’t stand the people that just go on and on and on and each time you think they’re wrapping it up, they just keep going on and on.

OP: you should consider calling the owner of the business and explaining that you would love to come there but you have been scared away by this guy, he may not be aware that this is going on.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

I can scare a Jehovah's Witness right off my porch just by opening the door!
Opening the door dripping wet and wearing only a towel works, too. Or so I'm told.... Wink
Works without the towel, too.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In my experience, people who do this kind of thing fall into two categories- those who are quite uncomfortable socially, and those who possess almost no self-awareness. And this is kind of odd, since these two groups are very far apart fundamentally.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I would have asked him if he used to be a car salesman.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That behavior can sometimes be an indicator of someone that falls on the autism spectrum. I know a guy that is mildly autistic and he exhibits the same characteristics.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

)[QUOTE]Works without the towel, too.

Yep! Except its best to not to that the first encounter.

The wife used to shovel up the kids and head for her mothers on Saturday morning. Without fail, they'd come by for a chat. I've only lived here for about 46 years now. Every damn Saturday one summer They'd show up. The dripping wet thing finally got them to stop.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

Yep! Except its best to not to that the first encounter.

The wife used to shovel up the kids and head for her mothers on Saturday morning. Without fail, they'd come by for a chat. I've only lived here for about 46 years now. Every damn Saturday one summer They'd show up. The dripping wet thing finally got them to stop.

We had a trio of JW's that would stop by about once a month. We (Mrs. PHPaul and I) were always civil to them but never encouraged them.

One day we got to discussing a particular facet of religion and someone (either my wife or myself, I don't recall) said the Bible warned against that sort of thing. The gent we were talking to said "No it doesn't!" and left it at that.

Next time they visited, I re-introduced the subject and handed them a Bible open to the passage I was basing my statement on. He looked a little funny, started to reply a couple of times, stammered, handed me my Bible back and we haven't seen them since. It's been several years...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a child with Asperger’s syndrome. Didn’t seem like that was the case. It is possible that the owner doesn’t know but I find that highly unlikely. If the wife wasn’t with me I’d have just held up my hand and said you need to stop.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
We had a guy like that when I lived in Santa Barbara. We called him "Motor Mouth". Big Grin

He worked in buying oil leases back in the day and must have been rolling in the money. He had the finest collection of Browning shotguns and seemed to know all the gunsmiths in CA.

We stopped by Pachmayr's one day and I assume they grew up together. They both talked continuously. Frown

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
He might have gotten his ass reamed by management? He was given an ultimatum “upsell or you’re gone.” It happens.

Today especially corporate stores want scripted greetings to include store specials, events, buying into products and promotions even if they are not an integral part of that department’s operation. Kind of like when I worked in power sports store parts department and I was supposed to inform customers of vehicle sales programs, store events, signing up customers for said “invitation only” events. When I go to a parts department I don’t care about a bikini bike wash,I just want to know whether or not they have the part or I have to drive fifty mile away to someplace that has it.

I didn’t play that game too well so I retired a second time three months ago.

Whatever happened to greet, ask what the customer needs, resolve the concern then, and only for as long as necessary to determine if there is any interest try your upsell. And once you as a customer say “no” they need to listen and say “thank you” instead of trying to overcome your objection.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Sir Talksalot.

He used to work at my company. Thought he retired. Guess i was wrong.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had solar panel salesmen approach me when I am in front of my house. Some take a "No Thank You" but others keep going until I order them to leave. Once, "Please leave" turned into "Leave now".

** My Underdeveloped Collection **
Sig Sauer P229 .40 Black with Aluminum Grips
Sig Sauer P250 9mm Black
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact Black
Springfield XD .45 Tactical Bi-Tone

Posts: 645 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My two sister in laws will not STFU!!!! I'm trying to watch my son's baseball game and they always have to park their annoying asses near me in their camp chairs. Will not shut up during the game regardless if my son is pitching, catching, or batting. No matter how many dirty looks they get, they will not shut up. They don't even watch the game. And no, moving is not really an option. I get there early and pick a good spot where I can see what's going on. Eventually I usually get up and watch from behind home plate or something. No wonder they're not married, they'd talk the poor guy into suicide.

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post