SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People who can’t stop babbling
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People who can’t stop babbling Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
These are the same people who won't shut up during a movie. It's one thing to discuss what's going on in the movie itself, but what happened during a date the night before drives me to thoughts of violence. Turning around, giving them a cold stare or asking for silence, doesn't register even a clue.

Entitled, self centered oblivious cretins.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
The really bad babblers I've encountered tend to be that special type of person who is not wired to understand body language or nonverbal cues. They are incapable of taking a hint, or probably even understanding such things exist.

Life is too short. I've become very direct when I'm ready to sign off.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
The really bad babblers I've encountered tend to be that special type of person who is not wired to understand body language or nonverbal cues. They are incapable of taking a hint, or probably even understanding such things exist.

Exactly right. People who babble often lack self awareness. My 94 year old (still living) father in law has always been like that. Everybody has started a conversation with somebody about a hobby, a particular sports team or player, politics or whatever. It usually doesn't take long for me (or most people I know) to pick up on the fact that the person on the other end of the conversation has little or no interest in the subject you brought up. Either that, or maybe they just want to be left alone. So I'll pick up on that cue and move on. Not my father in law. He will drone on and on about his health issues (typical old guy stuff) or something that happened 50 years ago that is completely trivial. It's a family event, so I get trapped. I'll try to get another relative included in the conversation and change topics. Sometimes that works, but not always.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"Can we talk?"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post