SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Setting up tax withholding on Social Security
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Setting up tax withholding on Social Security Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, still old-school here. LOL
Still have a land line for the house and printer/scanner/fax machine.
Do have cell phones for all calls I WANT to receive !!!!
Cell phone is set up to receive only calls from contact list.
All other calls go directly to voicemail.
Does not ring for unknown/spam calls.

Posts: 127 | Location: Northeast | Registered: January 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

Any recommendations for good free online fax services? I don’t really want to sign up for a fax service that has a “free” trial where you sign up for a recurring charge unless you cancel.
I have been using this one for a few years. Works fine. Restrictions for free use: No more than three FAX's / day, no more than three pages / FAX. Anything over that is not free, but you can pay for the excess.

It's for outgoing FAX service. I'm still looking for a free FAX receiving service. Haven't found one yet.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Any recommendations for good free online fax services? I don’t really want to sign up for a fax service that has a “free” trial where you sign up for a recurring charge unless you cancel.
I have been using this one for a few years. Works fine. Restrictions for free use: No more than three FAX's / day, no more than three pages / FAX. Anything over that is not free, but you can pay for the excess.

It's for outgoing FAX service. I'm still looking for a free FAX receiving service. Haven't found one yet.

Don’t see anything listed. FaxZero maybe?

Posts: 3421 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I got you, Bunky. {That's just in my head from watching short video clips of how prisoners cook different food in prison.]

Anyways, here's a free FAX receiving service: FaxBetter Free

With a FaxBetter Free Account you will get the following great features:

• Dedicated toll free fax number. It's yours for life as long as you receive a fax every 7 days.
  • No credit card required to sign up.
  • Fax notification emails. Each time a fax arrives you will be sent a notification email immediately.
  • Searchable fax notifications with a PDF attachment for your first 30 days.
  • Enough storage space for around 1,000 pages. Your faxes are always available online at FaxBetter.

To send to your receiving fax number, I use FaxZero.com

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20113 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ll have to look at faxing. I have a printer/scanner, but I need to find an actual free fax option to use. Not really interested in paying or using a public scanner/fax machine.

Last year was my first year getting SS, and I didn’t have any federal tax withheld, and that turned out to be a costly mistake. I did understand that it would be taxed, and assumed that since I was regularly getting money back every year, I’d be covered and get close to zero refund or owed. My mistake was in not realizing when I reduced my withdrawals from my IRA, from which I was having tax withheld, I’d also reduce the total amount of federal taxes being taken out.

Income tax management is a big deal for retirees making IRA withdrawals, not just for the current year but for future years.

1) Since you know your income stream for the year and you can plan how much you'll withdraw for the year, then you can better plan how much income tax you'll have to pay for the year instead of ballparking a percentage.

2) There's a concept in retirement with IRA withdrawals called tax efficient harvesting especially when you're looking at the Tramp Tax Cuts going to sunset.

Say you're married and will have $150,000 this year in taxable income. that puts you in the 22% tax bracket. Well you can withdraw another $40,000 and still be under the $190,750 ceiling for the 22% tax bracket. The idea is you're going to have to withdraw that money at some point in the future, you might as well withdraw it today and pay 22% instead of paying a higher tax rate on it later on.

3. You still have time but depending on how much you have in your IRA, at some point, I believe it's 75 now, don't quote me on the age because it's been changing. It used to be 72. You'll be forced to make Required Minimum Distributions and it's an ever increasing percentage of your IRA amount. Those future RMDs may push you into the 32% , 35%, or even 35% brackets. So withdrawing money while you can control at what what rate it'll be taxed is better as you can withdraw the money ahead of the RMDs at lower tax rates.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20113 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post