SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Setting up tax withholding on Social Security
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Setting up tax withholding on Social Security Login/Join 
posted
Why is setting up tax federal withholding on Social Security the one thing you can’t do online? You have to fill out a stupid paper form with your name, address, and social security number, and put it in the U.S. mail addressed to your local Social Security office. Might as well just write “steal me” on the envelope.

Posts: 3421 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Paying taxes on something you were taxed to receive.

Not unlike having the state with hold monies for taxes and then when you get a refund from from the state cause too much was with held, you are taxed on the refund.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14174 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can also fax the form to your local SSA Office.
Needed to do this 2 days ago to adjust my and my wives withholding to 0%(zero).
I called the next day to follow up and it was already processed.
Did my taxes last week and was refunded ALL our withholding back plus 1K.
On my 401K witdrawal, my options started at 20% and up. This covered whatever was due.
I also work part time and do not have ANY Federal taxes deducted.
Bob

Posts: 127 | Location: Northeast | Registered: January 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Why is setting up tax federal withholding on Social Security the one thing you can’t do online? You have to fill out a stupid paper form with your name, address, and social security number, and put it in the U.S. mail addressed to your local Social Security office.

Judging by every other online federal computer system I've interacted with, you're not missing much. They're all universally terrible, being horribly outdated and not at all user friendly.

And considering the level of computer savviness of the average member of the generation that's accessing Social Security currently (present company excluded), it's probably much simpler and easier to just keep things analog for at least another decade or so until the Gen Xers start being the majority.

quote:
Originally posted by Vette02:
You can also fax the form

Fuh-axe?

What's that?

Oh, is it that old technology where one printer would scream at another printer through a hardwired phone line? Man, I haven't seen one of those in at least 15 years!

(Both fax machines as well as land lines. Big Grin)

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Still seems to work.
Better solution than USPS!!!!
When I started college, THERE WERE NO COMPUTERS!!!!!!

Posts: 127 | Location: Northeast | Registered: January 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I started college, THERE WERE NO COMPUTERS!!!!!!

But if there were no computers, then there were no forums... So does that mean you just spent all day faxing funny images or pictures of your guns to your friends, and waiting for them to fax back replies?

Big Grin

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm one of those guys who "loaned" the government money and got a refund most years. And even now, I don't cut it too close.

But, on the other hand, unless social security is the only income you get, there are other methods of paying your income tax for the year.

But before I give you those other ways, I want to confirm you have a pretty good handle on how much income tax you owe as each year comes around. The reason for this is because the income tax on social security isn't straightforward and is dependent on your total combined income. For example, if your total combined income on your joint tax return is below $32,000 then your social security income isn't taxable. If it's between $32,000 and $44,000, then 50% of your social security is taxable. So projecting your required minimum tax withholding is dependent on you having a fairly good idea of your total income for the year and the associated tax liability. Oh, and your combined income is calculated by having your adjusted gross income + Nontaxable interest income + 1/2 of your social security benefits.

So, there are several ways you can pay your withholding tax besides trying to get it done with your social security.

1) If you make IRA withdrawals, you can include the tax payments as part of your IRA withdrawal and include the social security portion with it.

2) You can use estimated tax payments by mail or online, or by using the IRS2Go app on your mobile device.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20113 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

But if there were not computers, then there were no forums... So does that mean you just spent all day faxing funny images or pictures of your guns to your friends, and waiting for them to fax back replies?

Big Grin

Just last year, some medical office wanted me to fax over paperwork. They said email is not allowed as it's not secure.

So I have a list of several free online Fax service that I can use.

On the other hand, can I ask a favor? My ran out of paper for my fax machine, can you fax me some?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20113 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sure, but I only have a few blank sheets left. Let me make some copies first.

posted Hide Post
LOL
Accounting major in college

posted Hide Post
Only giving the OP another option!!!!!!!
BTW Rey HRH, thank you for your options

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
SS won't be around for me in 15 years

I don't fax

Posts: 5586 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Signing up for Medicare Part B is no fun either.

I have found it easier to call or go directly to the local SS office itself when I need shit done. The particular one (Johnson City) has been helpful to me twice now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 28756 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll have to look at faxing. I have a printer/scanner, but I need to find an actual free fax option to use. Not really interested in paying or using a public scanner/fax machine.

Last year was my first year getting SS, and I didn’t have any federal tax withheld, and that turned out to be a costly mistake. I did understand that it would be taxed, and assumed that since I was regularly getting money back every year, I’d be covered and get close to zero refund or owed. My mistake was in not realizing when I reduced my withdrawals from my IRA, from which I was having tax withheld, I’d also reduce the total amount of federal taxes being taken out.

Posts: 3421 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FAX Machines are the way hospitals and doctors send records. Apparently it is secure and cheaper than encryption. My CPA uses faxes as do some governmental offices. Frankly fewer faxes are "lost " than other means of communication.

Posts: 17578 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
FAX Machines are the way hospitals and doctors send records. Apparently it is secure and cheaper than encryption. My CPA uses faxes as do some governmental offices. Frankly fewer faxes are "lost " than other means of communication.

Yes, and the faxing is done from copiers/scanners or software apps. The old phone/modem faxing is not very common any longer.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16650 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
You can also fax the form
Fuh-axe?

What's that?

Oh, is it that old technology where one printer would scream at another printer through a hardwired phone line? Man, I haven't seen one of those in at least 15 years!

(Both fax machines as well as land lines. Big Grin)
You need neither FAX "machine" nor land line. Use this instead:

https://www.gotfreefax.com/

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm aware of modern electronic fax technology. It was a joke, V-Tail.

I do find it funny that someone concerned about mailing paperwork for fear of identity theft would then turn around and gladly upload a scan of the same document to some random "free fax" website without any clue who it's hosted and run by, what their security is like, who else has access, or what all they do with the documents uploaded to their website. Big Grin

"I don't wanna mail this personal information because I'm worried that someone might break into a mailbox and steal it, so instead I'm going to hand it to some random stranger and ask them to go fax it for me, and pretty please don't read it, and pretty pretty please destroy it after. But he seems like a trustworthy guy. I'm pretty sure he's Canadian."

posted Hide Post
The "how" part of your question has already been answered. The "why" part (you can't do it on line) has something to do with IRS. The form W4V used to request withholding taxes from your SS benefits is an IRS form, not an SSA form. It requires a signature. There may be some sort of legal issue with the signature requirement. Anyway, the SSA web site is not set up to accommodate an electronic signature that would satisfy IRS requirements. That's why you can't do it on-line.

Posts: 1073 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any recommendations for good free online fax services? I don’t really want to sign up for a fax service that has a “free” trial where you sign up for a recurring charge unless you cancel.