SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Modern business practices in the construction/renovation industry
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modern business practices in the construction/renovation industry Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
I needed four new windows.

I go to the local hardware store to order them, plus the installation. All in, about $4K.

Guy comes to the house to measure the old windows. Mind, two are in a wood frame wall where the interior studs are 100% accessible (no drywall).

Eight weeks later, 3.5 hours AFTER the appointment I get a text making a unilateral change of the install date to today. I called to express my displeasure. No one answers. I call the store and ask for a manager. On hold 15 minutes, and I hung up. So, I go over and express my displeasure in person. No meaningful response.

The install crew arrives at 0800 today instead of the 1100 arrival I was expecting (good thing I was here).

To tell me ALL, AS IN EVERY MOTHERFUCKING ONE of the windows are the wrong motherfucking size. ALL OF THEM!!!

HOW THE FLYING HELL do you screw up measurements when you can visibly see the GODDAMNED STUDS?!

I am livid. Two days taken off, house asunder making space around the windows for the installers to work, and no goddamned windows.

I hope the store manager brought his best customer service skills today.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31373 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
They have you at the base of your snardlies!

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8197 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I missed the 8 WEEKS initially. Mad

I haven't put in new windows since they need to be put in at the same time with wrap and siding to get a good seal.

There is a new wrap that has an R-6 rating, Innovative Designs.

https://lindusconstruction.com...lindus-construction/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I ordered window covering for a new house. Delivery kept getting delayed. I kept calling and talking to the manager. I went and visited to talk to the manager.

I think I was effective because after delivery and installation, I got a full refund.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19579 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
After no one contacted me after their discovery of the monumental fuck up, I went to the store.

And yes, I am now going to disclose the name:

Home Depot #4602
46261 Cranston Way
Sterling, VA 20165

I got a different manager-on-duty who (1) accepted my offer to have the conversation in private; and (1) took notes and in my presence called up his chain-of-command to his District Manager. I was assured the District Manager would call me this afternoon.

No call.

I should have expected that.

I called the store again. Spoke my third manager, who again assured me I would be contacted ON MONDAY. That I informed him was 100% unsatisfactory.

Minutes later, I get a call from the District Manager. According to him, they can reframe my windows to make the ones they have fit.

I told him that is not what I ordered.

The only option I was told was AT LEAST EIGHT WEEKS TO GET NEW WINDOWS MADE!!

I am stuck - without knowing what exactly HOME DEPOT will do next - I can't decide to tell them to go fuck themselves without knowing if they have some magic means of getting the the correct sized windows installed some time before climatological winter arrives.

But I am ready to.

Here is my takeaway [ORANGEHOMESTORE BAD!!!

FUCK HOME DEPOT!!! ESPECIALLY STORE 4602!!!

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31373 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had negative experiences with Home Depot and water heaters. They finally knocked two hundred bucks off the price ten years ago. I would not be inclined to have them make this right. Are there other options available to you?

Posts: 17173 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The District Manager just called.

He is sending an install crew with the incorrect windows back here to try and convince me to let them install them.

Fat fucking chance.

I intend to listen politely then tell them to leave, taking their wrong sized windows back.

I am formally disputing the charges. Once that is resolved, I am cancelling my Home Depot credit card.

I will likely never buy so much as a soda at Home Depot again.

Fuck them.

This is Windows 3.0 Beta Testing, 1995 style.

Nice is overrated

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
I agree. The install of the HD water heaters was less than satisfactory. I used an independent plumber the second time and was very pleased. He did additional plumbing work for me that day. I got his contact information through a friend at the fire department. Most fireman have side jobs and know the good local tradesman.

Posts: 17173 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
The District Manager sounds like a fucking retard. They want to CONVINCE you to install the wrong size? Are you fucking kidding me?

Agree with fuck the Depot. I'll bet any dedicated local window place can support you much better than those assholes. They don't really give a damn if they lose your business, anyway.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We just had a complete gut kitchen remodel.

The cabinets are from Bertch, a major higher end cabinet company, not some IKEA or Home Depot crap.

NUMEROUS cabinet door panels and the fridge end panel were totally messed up. Streaks in the paint, gouges, rounded off corners. My kitchen contractor was like “WTF?” and had to send for replacements.

Some of the REPLACEMENTS were also messed up! Mad

It’s like there’s no quality control anymore and NO ONE GIVES A SHIT

We also had our front and rear doors replaced along with storm doors. The same contractor unboxes, the front storm door and it’s literally missing paint on several sections, not scratched off or rubbed off; more like someone just didn’t bother to paint it. And they boxed it up and gave it to Lowe’s to sell. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s like there’s no quality control anymore and NO ONE GIVES A SHIT

First, shut down the whole country, then hand out several free government checks then expect everyone to return to work.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Jesus.

Can these people really be this stupid?

The District Manager, foolishly included me on an email saying "I was taken care of."

I took the opportunity to respond, since there were other HD execs on the email addressee list.

In my response I disabused him and everyone on that message of the notion "I have been taken care of."

Like I said, fuck Home Depot.

ORANGEHOMESTORE BADDDD!!!!! BAD!! BAD!! BAD!!

ETA: Well, that email got some traction. A person from Home Depot's senior management just called and was appalled at what has transpired.

Maybe there is a tiny dot of light in the darkness? Probably a train.

Nice is overrated

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
American Windows and Siding of VA does good work. I watched five of the neighbors have work done and they were the only one that did things right. I watched them with binoculars. Big Grin

https://american-windows.com/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Jesus.

Can these people really be this stupid?

The District Manager, foolishly included me on an email saying "I was taken care of."

I took the opportunity to respond, since there were other HD execs on the email addressee list.

LMFAO. I love when this happens at work!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
OP: I think your first mistake was having Home Depot use their own subcontractors here. I’ve always heard horror stories about big box stores and all their “services”.

FWIW, back in February of this year when we ordered our kitchen cabinets for a late August remodel date, the rep at the company we used told us that windows in general were out of control as far as weekly price increases and extremely long lead times.

Posts: 33594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Step 1, get an Angies List membership.
Step 2, review all area independent window contractors
Step 3, get quotes from your top 5
Step 4, review quotes, decide.

This is for any and all work on the house you are going to farm out.

As far as window mfr’s. I had beyond excellent results with windows by Don Young Windows.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12567 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Step 1, get an Angies List membership.
Step 2, review all area independent window contractors
Step 3, get quotes from your top 5
Step 4, review quotes, decide.

This is for any and all work on the house you are going to farm out.

As far as window mfr’s. I had beyond excellent results with windows by Don Young Windows.

Locally, I know tales of easily a dozen people ripped off by contractors on Angries List. It’s about on par with hiring off Craigslist.

Then again, perhaps this is how Home Depot hires people.

Nice is overrated

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Home Depot does not have installers employed. They hire contractors. Their contractors suck. Their contractors are thieves. I once had a water heater quote and paid for. When the installers showed up, they started telling me all kinds of lies about how they needed adapters and other parts because it was a different size water heater. I knew for a fact it was the exact same size. I sent them away.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12405 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. I've gone thru 4 GCs so far in a whole house renovation over the past 8 months. The time and money I've wasted is insane at this point.

Posts: 678 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I was to hear from HD HQ today.

Nothing so far. Roll Eyes

Nice is overrated