SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Modern business practices in the construction/renovation industry
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modern business practices in the construction/renovation industry Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I don't disagree that they should have the correct size.
Just out of curiosity how far off were they?
Too Big?
Too Small?
A lot of times you can shim or buildup to the correct size with no harm.
Too big is more of a problem.
Overall I agree with you.

Several years I bought some gutters and I caught the install guy putting the wrong colored ones on.
He was upset and tried to get me to accept.
I did not and they brought out the correct ones.

So I understand your concern. Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The only thing surprising me about 8 weeks is how short that is. The builders, who are buying windows for hundreds of homes, are being told longer lead time than that.

Unfortunately, these problems continue to plague any construction/home building going on now. The super high demand is also employing people who otherwise would be sitting at home because their work is shit. The bottom of the barrel is being scraped now.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Locally, I know tales of easily a dozen people ripped off by contractors on Angries List. It’s about on par with hiring off Craigslist.

Then again, perhaps this is how Home Depot hires people.

Sent off a request for contractor from Angies list for electrical work, guy that showed up was an jerk, trying to sell other work than what we wanted, all kinds of BS upselling. Quote was way out of line.

Angies list is nothing more than a lead generator service...

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Angies list is nothing more than a lead generator service...

Don't know if it's true or not, but I had a contractor tell me that for a price, they would give him top billing at that place.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Too Big?

I was told by the install crew all four windows were 1.5 to 2 inches to big in the lateral dimension and two windows were also 1.5 to 2 inches to big in the vertical dimension.

That big a difference means reframing the existing windows, something I'm not interested in.

ETA:

Still no call. Frown

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Too Big?

I was told by the install crew all four windows were 1.5 to 2 inches too big in the lateral dimension and two windows were also 1.5 to 2 inches to big in the vertical dimension.

That big a difference means reframing the existing windows, something I'm not interested in.

ETA:

Still no call. Frown

No question too big is a deal breaker.
Too small > adjustments can be made.
I would never accept the order or do a reframe either.
If you have alternate sources - cancel the sale and move elsewhere.
If not - you just might have to wait. Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My house was totaled by smoke damage after a smallish fire. My contractor is messing with me, which isn't prudent given my intimate knowledge of how long it takes a body to decompose in this environment.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of alwayshungry
posted Hide Post
I work for a large industrial distributor and I can tell you that we are about 10% better now than things were during covid and immediately after.

I’m talking about companies finding and keeping quality employees, supply chain issues, manufacturing slowdowns, etc, etc.

Freight companies like FedEx and ups are still mostly delivering on time, but there’s lots of chinks in the armor and they are hanging by a thread and everyone is overworked and overwhelmed and doing at least 1.5 jobs because they can’t find employees.

The ltl shippers are a mess. Can’t find drivers and are showing up a week after we tell them a load is on our docks.

I know it’s frustrating. I’m in the thick of it every day and it’s taking a toll on my mental health. The best plan is to support local businesses with owners who care and support the employees and customers that they have and to make an adjustment to your expectations.

"Now none of the frightened soldiers moved, for they saw that cowardice and valor purchased equal plots in the snipers' killing field"

Posts: 6335 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow I send the letter disputing the charges.

This is going to get fun, in a testicle crushing kind of way.

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son is a builder . The lead time on almost everything is terrible . Clients are getting pissed off at him because things are taking so long but he has no control over it .
Right now we are waiting on parts to repair my wife's car and the body shop has no idea when they will receive them . Thank God it's drivable .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Someone from ORANGEHOMESTOREBAD called me at 1605hrs to confirm an install date for thisFriday. I said no one asked if I was available; and I’m not available Friday.

I also pointed out the bloke scheduled to come and remeasure in an effort to convince me to go ahead with the wrong windows had 49 minutes left, as 1700 was a hard stop. A flurry of calls and the bloke calls to tell me he was 30 minutes away. I told him he had 10 minutes. That was the last communication with ORANGEHOMESTOREBAD.

I’m calling tomorrow and canceling the order.

I’ve learned another lesson: FUCK HOME DEPOT.

Nice is overrated

Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
On Black Friday I plan to stand on the public right-of-way with this 4x8 foot sign:

Nice is overrated

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
What store? I will drive by and blow the horn. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
What store? I will drive by and blow the horn.
Home Depot

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
What store? I will drive by and blow the horn.

Home Depot

Today things took a turn for the surreal.

The third (or fourth?) guy to come and measure my windows stopped by this morning. After taking measurements, he said he wanted to check the actual widows, but the dimensions the first guy recorded were if not spot on, close enough to be within acceptable tolerance.

A few hours later I was called with a reminder there was an install scheduled for tomorrow. THe conversation went like this:

ORANGESTOREBAD!: "I'm calling to confirm...."

sig2340: "I'm not available tomorrow.

ORANGESTOREBAD!: "...your apppointment... 'not available tomorrow'?"

sig2340: "You failed to call and ask me if I was available."

ORANGESTOREBAD!: "Can you give me some alternate dates?"

sig2340: "Sure. Monday."

ORANGESTOREBAD!: "Monday?"

sig2340: "That's correct. Halloween."

ORANGESTOREBAD!: "Okay, let me see if I can make that work."

sig2340: "Okay."

I'm not exaggerating, but in less than ten minutes I had an appointment for Monday at 1000. I remain dubious that I'll see windows of the correct dimensions properly installed, but I might get lucky. I'd rather win the $800M Powerball jackpot.

Nice is overrated

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Further thought, if they don't know how to measure for replacement windows, I don't want them to do an installation.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Are all your windows the same/similar dimensions?

Could it be that the individual windows were simply mislabeled, and they were comparing the wrong window with the wrong frame?

I ran into that a couple years ago when having custom blinds installed. Initial guy came out and measured for blinds, then recorded the dimensions and ordered them. Separate installer came out later with the finished blinds, and on the first one said that the dimensions were wrong. Turns out the guy who measured just mislabeled at least one of the blinds' dimensions as the wrong room. So in the end, all the blinds ordered fit a window in the house, just not always the indicated window.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0TdkirneCRs" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO

Further thought, if they don't know how to measure for replacement windows, I don't want them to do an installation.

Thorough, but I was hoping he’d drink some coffee or smoke some meth because - nine damned minutes. Even at 2x speed it was too long.

Nice is overrated

Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Color me shocked.

There is a crew here installing correctly sized windows. And doing a good job of it, from what I can tell.

Nice is overrated

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Color me shocked.

There is a crew here installing correctly sized windows. And doing a good job of it, from what I can tell.

You were the squeaky wheel

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post