SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Airline Ticket Prices!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airline Ticket Prices! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Back in October three of us few from PGH to Orlando for less than $300 round trip on Spirit. A little tip, if you buy the tickets in-person at the Spirit counter they are less money. We saved about $130 vs buying online.

I've heard this one before, not specifically with Spirit.
Just have to hope there's seats available for the flight you want.

Not the day of the flight. We went weeks in advance.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Suggestion to PASig: I don't know where in Pennsylvania you are, but take a look at driving to Lorton VA and taking the Auto-Train. That would put you in Sanford FL (not far from the Sanford Airport that HRK suggested), and the cost would be partially offset by not needing to rent a car in Florida.

My wife did this recently and wound up saving some bucks compared to the cost of flying and renting a car on the other end.

Thank you for this suggestion! This is what we are going to do, booking the train today. It’s 3 hours to Lorton then on the train overnight and arrival in Florida the next morning and we have the advantage of having our own vehicles and not having to rely on Uber or rental cars.

It’s almost ONE THIRD the cost of flying right now!

It’s funny how we are almost going back to the old days where only the wealthy could fly, and most people took the train.

Posts: 33760 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let us know how it goes. The trains in the US do not run like the trains in Switzerland.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Auto Train has been a staple here for many years, Sanford to VA, couple of us talked about putting motorcycles on it and taking it to VA and riding back through the mountains.

FYI Firearms are treated like airlines, you have to check them in, you can't leave them in a case in your car, you have to check it...

https://www.amtrak.com/firearms-in-checked-baggage

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spirit Airlines as a couple of others said, is, IMO, the cheapest.

I personally have never flown on it (and swear I never will) but my daughter flew from Houston to Tampa and back for $300 and change back in the Spring of 2022.

Double that in September ($298 and change) on United and that, was just a one-way.

Bob

Posts: 1573 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Auto Train has been a staple here for many years, Sanford to VA, couple of us talked about putting motorcycles on it and taking it to VA and riding back through the mountains.

FYI Firearms are treated like airlines, you have to check them in, you can't leave them in a case in your car, you have to check it...

https://www.amtrak.com/firearms-in-checked-baggage
There's a Catch-22 type "gotcha." Amtrak will accept firearms in checked baggage, much like airlines will. However, there is no facility for checked baggage on the Auto-Train.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on where you're flying to and the time of year. I recently looked at flights to Tucson, AZ from Philly and round trip tickets were only about 600 bucks which seemed pretty reasonable. Where did you get your quote from, did you contact the airline directly or use one of the many travel webpages like travelocity? You might also try flying out of Newark or BWI and see if they have cheaper flights. Popular routes like Orlando this time of year is going to be expensive especially on a holiday weekend since lots of folks are seeking warm weather.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: calugo,

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at tickets to Cancun in June and they are $1400 right now. Hoping that price comes down as it gets closer. They say 90 days out is the best time to buy. I'm going to wait and see if that is right.

Posts: 11157 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post