SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Airline Ticket Prices!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airline Ticket Prices! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Holy shit Eek Holy shit is all I can say.

We are planning for a Presidents’ Day weekend trip to Orlando to go to Universal, and are looking at booking our flights now, and they are ludicrously expensive.

We flew to Orlando in 2019 to go to Disney and Universal and I recall the tickets being maybe $180 from Philly to Orlando and back.

I know the world has changed and things have gotten a lot more expensive, but $700-$800 for a ticket right now? Are you shitting me?

We are now reconsidering our plans and looking at alternatives.

I could see a ticket being like $350 but $800 a pop for a barely over an hour flight? Screw that.

Posts: 33584 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you think airline prices are crazy wait till you price Universal Studios ticket prices.

I always thought Disney was pricey. Disney is cheap compared to Universals pricing scheme. Universal is pretty awesome though.

Just a heads up, it’s not barely more than an hour. It’s a two and a half hour flight if you can find a nonstop which is hard to do. Most airlines will make you stop somewhere. Which will make it even longer. Still I agree 800 sounds outrageous.

Edited. Southwest has been a shit show recently but they have flights less than that. Especially if you can extend a day out from the holiday.

Posts: 7338 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. We just decided to cancel an anniversary trip we had planned in May because of airline ticket prices. Ticket prices were going to be more than the cost of our food and lodging combined for a 1 week trip.

We booked a place we can drive to instead and saved a bundle.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3508 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
We've been planning on hitting the Dominican for almost a year for this coming May. The air flight flight from Atlanta to Dominican is almost twice the cost of the week stay at the all-inclusive resort.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8835 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
This past fall I was thinking of taking the family to Utah for spring break 2023. Fly into Salt Lake in March. Go to Moab, Zion, etc. Tickets were over $800 each, family of 4. Then I looked at San Fran or Oakland, with intentions of going into wine country and up into the Redwood forests. More of the same.

So we pivoted and are going to Italy. I am not sure how tickets from Orlando to Italy were less expensive that Orlando to UT or CA, but they were.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I chose to drive to South Dakota for our annual pheasant hunting trip mostly due to the price of airline tickets. Factor in that the cost to check in the guns and gear adds roughly another $500 and there are no direct flights. Last year one of the gun cases missed a flight and we had to hire a courier to drive the 2 hours to the lodge at another $150. We’re driving again next year as the drive was pretty enjoyable with way less stress than flying.

Posts: 2930 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
How far are you from Allentown, Allegiant flys from there direct to Sanford Fl, which is just north of Orlando.

Flights are way less expensive, the airport smaller and easier to get into and out of, with a rental car it's 45 minutes down the 417 to Disney.

It can take you 45 minutes to get out of MCO to Disney easy and at Sanford it's a much nicer trip.

https://www.allegiantair.com/

https://flysfb.com/

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the cost of fuel. Example: at Our Little Airport, 100 octane AvGas has gone up from $2.89 to almost seven bucks / gallon. Jet-A has had similar increases at our pumps.

Fuel is just one factor, but it's one of the more visible ones. Just about everything that contributes to the cost of transportation has zoomed up.
Suggestion to PASig: I don't know where in Pennsylvania you are, but take a look at driving to Lorton VA and taking the Auto-Train. That would put you in Sanford FL (not far from the Sanford Airport that HRK suggested), and the cost would be partially offset by not needing to rent a car in Florida.

My wife did this recently and wound up saving some bucks compared to the cost of flying and renting a car on the other end.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30539 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Picking a holiday weekend to go to any of the Orlando parks is insane, IMO, but okay.

How about driving? Don't know how many adults you have, but Philly to Orlando should only be about 15 hours travel time. Leave at 0300 and you're there for a late dinner. Also, you get to stop at Buc-ee's.

We're about to drive down to the Treasure Coast at the end of the month rather than fly - mostly because of the expense. Same 15 hours or so. We're also going to be there for a full 4 days, though, so it's not as bad as doing it for just the weekend.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16261 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Just bought round trip tickets to Kona Hawaii, same as I do every year.

This year's price from Hawaiian Airlines is within $50.00 of last year's.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Haven't started looking, but we're going to CA the next 2 summers for my wife's nephew/niece HS graduations.

5 tickets, plus a rental car big enough for us + bags + carseat & stroller.

I'd prefer to drive, but that's a haul. We've done it straight through, but it's nearly 30 hours [4 days on the road if we stop overnight for a rest] (near Bakersfield, CA).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15143 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, I respectfully will tell you Allegiant is a bad idea. They run 1 flight a day for half the week, 2 flights a day for the other half. If they have any issue at all they will cancel and you won't get on that second flight if you even are on the 2 flight day.

Allegiant has zero capacity to fix any issue with a rebooking. They just cancel, refund your money, maybe give you a voucher, and tell you good luck.

I have personally witnessed this first hand multiple times when my kids friends try to save money on airfare. The big guys can fuck you over as well as SW has demonstrated recently but the odds are way in the bigger guys favor.

Orlando International Airport is less than 20 minutes from Universal, Sanford is double the distance. Won't matter if you rent a car but it will if you are using taxi, Uber, etc.

Sanford is a great little airport. My buddy keeps his Baron there.

Posts: 7338 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
We've had good experiences with allegiant from Columbus to Savannah and Columbus to Jacksonville.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Inflation is all the rage right now. Ticket prices were dirt cheap during the heart of Covid.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Yea, I respectfully will tell you Allegiant is a bad idea. They run 1 flight a day for half the week, 2 flights a day for the other half. If they have any issue at all they will cancel and you won't get on that second flight if you even are on the 2 flight day.

Allegiant has zero capacity to fix any issue with a rebooking. They just cancel, refund your money, maybe give you a voucher, and tell you good luck.

I have personally witnessed this first hand multiple times when my kids friends try to save money on airfare. The big guys can fuck you over as well as SW has demonstrated recently but the odds are way in the bigger guys favor.

Orlando International Airport is less than 20 minutes from Universal, Sanford is double the distance. Won't matter if you rent a car but it will if you are using taxi, Uber, etc.

Sanford is a great little airport. My buddy keeps his Baron there.

True enough Allegiant isn't first class on Virgin Airlines, but it's also not $800 a seat.

Any airline can mess up schedules, flights, from mechanical, weather, employees, and today the FAA screwed up things.

Interesting, we've used Allegiant out of Sanford for several years to send granddaughter or wife to WV and KY can't remember one cancelled flight, maybe a few delayed but those were weather related for the most part. Not saying flights don't get cancelled or that Allegiant has wonky schedules, but for $64 vs $800 a seat so he doesn't have to drive for hours with kids in the car you can put up with a few no frill deals.

I checked, Flights from Allentown to Sanford were as low as $64 one way, plus extras, Allegiant is a no frills airline, you want more, then it's $$$ per seat.

You can't drive from Philly to Orlando for $64.

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
A good friend that I shoot with every week and I were talking about Allegiant a few weeks ago as we both live pretty close to the Airport they fly out of in the area.

He said that as he was walking out of an Allegiant plane, he stopped and said to the flight attendant "the next time I fly with you guys I'm going to bring a couple of bricks with me."

She said "why?"

He said "Because they'd be softer to sit on than those seats."

I've flown with them once and I'm inclined to agree with him.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Flash-LB,

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is America. You pays for your ticket and you takes your chances. Like I said any airline can screw you up but Allegiant has zero ability to recover if they cancel your flight. They will give you your money back, give you a small voucher, and wish you luck. Seen it happen up close and personal multiple times. I also checked and tickets are out there cheaper by a lot than 800 dollars. Makes for a cool story though.

I just went to the Southwest website 2/17 back on 2/21 (best guess for Presidents’ Day trip) $441 per person all in including taxes, 2 free bags. Just a bit shy of $800. That was me not looking very hard. That being said I would rather drive to vacation. Luray Caverns here we come!

posted Hide Post
Back in October three of us few from PGH to Orlando for less than $300 round trip on Spirit. A little tip, if you buy the tickets in-person at the Spirit counter they are less money. We saved about $130 vs buying online.

Posts: 5405 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Back in October three of us few from PGH to Orlando for less than $300 round trip on Spirit. A little tip, if you buy the tickets in-person at the Spirit counter they are less money. We saved about $130 vs buying online.

I've heard this one before, not specifically with Spirit.
Just have to hope there's seats available for the flight you want.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15143 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
It is America. You pays for your ticket and you takes your chances. Like I said any airline can screw you up but Allegiant has zero ability to recover if they cancel your flight. They will give you your money back, give you a small voucher, and wish you luck. Seen it happen up close and personal multiple times. I also checked and tickets are out there cheaper by a lot than 800 dollars. Makes for a cool story though.

I just went to the Southwest website 2/17 back on 2/21 (best guess for Presidents’ Day trip) $441 per person all in including taxes, 2 free bags. Just a bit shy of $800. That was me not looking very hard. That being said I would rather drive to vacation. Luray Caverns here we come!

Exactly my point, there are lower fare alternatives, you just have to decide what you're willing to pay/put up with.