SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Thanks to the local PD, and our city’s soliciting restrictions, and security cameras
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks to the local PD, and our city’s soliciting restrictions, and security cameras Login/Join 
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
My buddy has the kind of front door with leaded glass so you can see through the middle. He also has a Cane Corso. When a solicitor rings the doorbell, the dog heads to the door and starts barking and growling. My buddy doesn't even get up anymore, the solicitors are always gone by the time he can get to the door. Cool

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3917 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Laws vary from state to state, sometimes city to city.

I live in Colorado, home is on a private cul-de-sac (not a public street), entry to the community has a sign clearly stating "RESIDENTS AND INVITED GUESTS ONLY". Our state defines criminal trespass as a strict liability offense; anyone who enters the property of another without permission is committing an offense. It is up to each person to honor the property rights of all other people.

Additionally, our city has a local ordinance requiring business licenses for anyone doing business within the city limits. Solicitors without a license can easily be cited for violation and the fines are stiff.

I have had to explain this to solicitors on more than one occasion. A couple have resisted my invitation to leave the property, and I have followed up with a complaint to local police. Being retired, I don't mind appearing in court to testify, which is necessary for any case to proceed (cameras, video, police reports, etc, nothing means anything without a witness in court).

I'm glad that your local cops followed through in this case. Hopefully the solar panel scammer won't require a repeat lesson, maybe a judge delivering the Slow Learners Award.

As a general rule everyone should understand that the cops can't testify for you, and all your photos and videos are useless without you physically present to testify. If you feel the need to call police you need to be ready to follow through and show up in court, otherwise you might become known as the guy who makes a lot of fuss and paperwork without standing up when it needs doing.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a happy ending after all. I hope he doesn't escalate.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Sounds like a happy ending after all. I hope he doesn't escalate.

LOL. If that were the case I have nearly ten different times to put the guy at gunpoint. Not stupid. Not getting sued for mental anguish.

It’s gonna escalate with me fleeing the area for rural life. I want 20-50 acres but will settle for 5-10. Some space, a gate, and get left along in my own residence from mouf breathers.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
every locale is different.

we do trespass for those that ignore posted no soliciting signs.

733.03 NOTICE PROHIBITING SOLICITATION.
Notice by the owner or occupant of any residence or place of business of the determination to refuse to receive any uninvited solicitors shall be given by displaying a weather proof card, decal or sign, not less than two (2) inches by three (3) inches in size nor more than one square foot in total surface area, upon or near the main entrance door to the residence or place of business, indicating such determination by the owner or occupant, containing the words “No Solicitors Invited,” or words of similar import, with letters at least one-third of an inch in height. Any such sign that complies with the requirements of this section shall be exempt from any additional or different requirements contained in the provisions of these Ordinances, including but not limited to the Planning and Zoning Code.
(Ord. 00-066. Passed 4-4-00.)

733.04 SOLICITATION IN VIOLATION OF NOTICE.
It is hereby declared to be unlawful and shall constitute a trespass for any person to go upon any premises and ring the door bell upon or near any door, rap or knock upon any door or create any sound in any other manner calculated to attract the attention of any occupant of such residence for the purpose of solicitation in defiance of the notice exhibited at the residence in accordance with the provisions of Section 733.03, unless the solicitor has been previously invited upon the premises by the owner, lessee, or an adult occupant thereof.
(Ord. 00-066. Passed 4-4-00.)

I think we still have an ordinance banning ice cream trucks in the city. lol

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighthouse Keeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine: <snip>

This is a beautiful example of a “What’s your deal” rant. Thank you, OP! I admire your approach to solicitors, as well as your response to the “Lighten up, Francis” post.

In this day and age where one can’t swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting *something* or *someone* attempting to separate you from your money, kudos for saying enough is enough.

Posts: 840 | Location: America's High-Five | Registered: December 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We moved into a gated community with our own security patrols…nobody gets passed the gate without authorization. I love it.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
No salesman has EVER been successful selling me anything at my own door of my residence. Never.

You’ve never bought Girl Scout Cookies? (My attempt at busting your chops)

Seriously, you’re missing out.

I understand from your Chick-fil-a thread and many others, that you’re into health food and your body is your temple. That said, you do have a cheat day, and thin mints and Samoas are downright tasty.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Prefontaine, why did you delete your reply? I’ve been thinking all day about how to reply to that in a polite, funny, smart assed way. Damn. What a letdown.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Have not read the entire history but I would think about the 3rd or 4th time I would come out and tell the guy he is not to come on my property ever again and if he does he is trespassing and will be charged. I have been taught that if someone tells you to get off their property you are trespassing there is only one response... turn around and go. Do not engage or discuss... you get.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post