SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Just got 164.5 gallons of heating oil delivered.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just got 164.5 gallons of heating oil delivered. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

Actually that's what I meant, the newly remodeled shop. So it has its own fuel furnace then.

Yes. I insulated the hell out of it and keep it at 50°

I do need to tweak some stuff on the furnace as it's running noticeably rich, but it's been too damn cold to turn it off long enough to mess with it. Probably a new nozzle and adjust the air shutter a tad. It's a hot air "trailer" furnace of indeterminate age.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15178 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
My brother lives in a older home and the oil furnace is now eating him alive in NY State. 5 years back he self installed a Keystoker rice coal furnace, tied into existing ducts. That furnace hopper holds 200 pounds of rice coal and is a self feeder. It cost him $2,600.00 for the furnace. That old leaky home stayed so constant warm all Winter. IIRC, his heat bill dropped from near 3 grand to $800.00. Thats a hell of a savings. Now he has health issues and cannot handle the 50 pound sacks of coal. Back to the oil furnace he went.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every spring I hug my ancient Woodchuck furnace (after it cools down, of course).

I just paid a gas bill for 28 days usage. $20.75 and we keep the temperature in the house at a comfy 72 degrees around the clock.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I just went back and looked up what I had paid in March 2018, the last time I had to pay for oil before we converted to gas that July: $2.19 a gallon

Looked up what the very same heating oil supplier is charging today for a gallon: $3.43

Let’s Go Brandon, indeed Mad

Posts: 33594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

When Trump was in office

No referred to as "the good ole days".

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
$600 per month for heat?!?! I was upset at my $111 bill this month, but we've had temps in the teens for half the billing cycle. Normally it's $50-85 per month and $15-20 per month when it's summer and it's only used for gas dryer.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20750 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
$600 per month for heat?!?! I was upset at my $111 bill this month, but we've had temps in the teens for half the billing cycle. Normally it's $50-85 per month and $15-20 per month when it's summer and it's only used for gas dryer.

Yabbut, what's yer electric bill for AC in August?

Oh, BTW, our electric rates went up about 25% January 1st. Things are getting ugly.

Posts: 15178 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
We installed a LOPI AGP pellet stove last year. LINK: https://www.lopistoves.com/product/agp-pellet-stove/
The entire winter supply of pellets costs the same as one full 275 gallon tank of fuel oil.
In the dead of winter, a 275 gallon tank would last about 5 weeks. (minimum of three+ full tanks to get through the coldest portions of winter, plus a couple more for spring & fall)
Now, 150 gallons of fuel oil lasts for half a year. (fuel oil heats the domestic hot water in addition to the house heat)
My quick cost analysis says the pellet stove will pay for itself in two heating seasons.

Pellet stove maintenance is simple. About once a week turn it off and clean/vacuum it out.
Pellet stove stops and starts (ignites) itself with the push of a button. Has variable speed pellet feed and variable speed heated output air blower.
No smoke or ashes/cinders in the house.

We've been buying the premium Canadian 100% hardwood pellets, more BTU per ton and less fly ash. ($300 per ton)
Using my big double axle trailer, (for hauling the Kubota tractor) makes pellet sourcing/transporting easy. I've hauled two pallets at a time. (50 bags, 40 pounds per bag, for each one ton pallet)

Bags of pellets weigh 40 pounds. If your age/physical condition doesn't allow pouring 40 pound bags directly into the pellet stove, you can fill the pellet stove supply hopper using a big coffee can.

So fuck OPEC & Russia with the overpriced oil for home heating. The house is now heated with pellets, and a wood stove at the cabin.

The other members of the household prefer the temperature around 75 F, so my standard winter attire is now shorts and tee shirt as long as I don't have to go out.

26% tax credit for the cost of the stove, venting, and installation is a bonus.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1496 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our soapstone wood stove has a warped door and is prone to puffing a bit of smoke when the wind is gusty. If it was just me, I'd live with it, but you know how that goes. We'll shop for a new stove in the Spring but between what we'll no doubt have to pay for a good stove and the inevitable price hike in firewood, I doubt we'll see much, if any, savings.

Is is possible to purchase a better-fitting door, or have one fabricated? Might be cheaper than a whole new stove.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
PH is there any way to get into your attic? From the sounds of it this may be the reason you’re loosing all the heat.

We just blew in more insulation here in NC to about R-50. It immediately made a difference in how often our heat pump comes on. The reason I did this was primarily for the summer though..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
@RogueJSK - Possible, I suppose but once Mrs. PHPaul has lost faith in something, convincing her it's fixable is somewhere between difficult and impossible. Not sure that's a battle I want to fight.

@cee-Kamp - We'd considered a pellet stove and may very well revisit that idea in the Spring. 40# bags of pellets are not a problem.

@smlsig - There's one small (16" square, maybe less) hatch in the bedroom ceiling on the South end of the North/South roofline (T shaped house) Some years back (before I met the future Mrs. PHPaul) she had a bat infestation in that area and had it sprayed with something that drove them away. Haven't been real keen on getting tangled up with whatever it was. Getting a bunch of blown in insulation is probably doable, I'll have to check on pricing. Not sure if the cross of the "T" is accessible or not.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
@RogueJSK - Possible, I suppose but once Mrs. PHPaul has lost faith in something, convincing her it's fixable is somewhere between difficult and impossible. Not sure that's a battle I want to fight.

@cee-Kamp - We'd considered a pellet stove and may very well revisit that idea in the Spring. 40# bags of pellets are not a problem.

@smlsig - There's one small (16" square, maybe less) hatch in the bedroom ceiling on the South end of the North/South roofline (T shaped house) Some years back (before I met the future Mrs. PHPaul) she had a bat infestation in that area and had it sprayed with something that drove them away. Haven't been real keen on getting tangled up with whatever it was. Getting a bunch of blown in insulation is probably doable, I'll have to check on pricing. Not sure if the cross of the "T" is accessible or not.

My attic access is 16"x20" I easily added blown in insulation in my attic. $400-500 for the insulation which included free use of the machine for 4 or 6 hours. Additional costs, $50, large pizza, 12 pack of beer for my buddy that loaded the hopper while I sprayed and drove me to pick up materials.

Summer electric bills went from $300-400 per month to $200-300 with the $300 variety only coming for one or two months of the summer. Also shaved money off my gas bill and my electric bill during the winter. I keep A/C set to 70* during the summer.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20750 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^Liberty Utilities, our Natural Gas supplier offered a rate lock option this year...But after it went into effect, they notified everyone they would NOT be able to honor it due to the price increase, and rescinded it! Roll Eyes

Is that legal? As in, was the way out part or the contract?

I would think more than a few would / could result in that?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^Liberty Utilities, our Natural Gas supplier offered a rate lock option this year...But after it went into effect, they notified everyone they would NOT be able to honor it due to the price increase, and rescinded it! Roll Eyes

That's some real bullshit there. I am sure plenty of folks over your way were really pissed off with that move.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
If it makes you feel better last week 255 gallons at my house in Westchester, NY ran me $1021. Ouch!

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$3.70 gal here in delco.

Posts: 72 | Location: Delco and LBI | Registered: April 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
SIG forum friends,
In dealing with your Oil & propane Co’s. there is really only one way
To deal with them. YOU get the last 3 years of usage per year. Take an
Average or use the highest number. Provide them to your Dealer.
Set up a budget plan and pay over 8 to 10 months. Do not do a pre-buy. You only have to have
An extra cold year and the next thing you know it, you have expended your pre buy gallons and you are now being charged at rack rate!
There are buying clubs who will charge a small fee. They in turn go to the dealer and say “I have XXX amount of gallons of oil/Propane and get a reduced price and turn that around to members.

I did sales for propane and oil for years.
That is how I do ot and I have yet to get spanked.

It wont happen now, but for next years and into the future !!”
Regards, John…

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Neighbor just got fuel oil from the same outfit I use: $4.599/gallon IF he pays within 15 days.

How much more of this insanity are we going to have to endure?

Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Neighbor just got fuel oil from the same outfit I use: $4.599/gallon IF he pays within 15 days.

How much more of this insanity are we going to have to endure?

That outfit is doing something wrong (or right for them I guess)... Just got oil myself, 184.3 gal, $3.809/gal, total bill $702

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
That outfit is doing something wrong (or right for them I guess)... Just got oil myself, 184.3 gal, $3.809/gal, total bill $702

Dead River. Only option around here except for independents and I'm leaning strongly toward switching if I can find one with a decent reputation for dependability.

Who do you use down your way?