SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Just got 164.5 gallons of heating oil delivered.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just got 164.5 gallons of heating oil delivered. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
$624.94!!!

Thanks REAL much, Brandon and all your fellow cocksuckers.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15175 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
$3.80/gal delivered for heating oil is ridiculous.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
$3.80/gal delivered for heating oil is ridiculous.

Yes it is. Fortunately (kind of...) I bumped my monthly (year around) contribution to the heating fund as soon as Brandon stole the election got elected.

Posts: 15175 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Each time I read a thread about this or see a news article about heating oil, I'm SO glad that natural gas was on my street and we were able to convert from heating oil to gas.

I can't even imagine how senor citizens on fixed budgets are making it right now with this insanity.

LET'S GO BRANDON!

Posts: 33572 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
How long will that last?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Each time I read a thread about this or see a news article about heating oil, I'm SO glad that natural gas was on my street and we were able to convert from heating oil to gas.

I can't even imagine how senor citizens on fixed budgets are making it right now with this insanity.

LET'S GO BRANDON!

You should compare this years Natural Gas price to last years price. Better than Oil, yeah, but not exactly stable such that doesn't make a significant budget impact during the winter months.

My Natural Gas 'Supply Charge' was .7632/Therm on last year's Jan 2021 bill, and on my Jan 2022 bill shows a rate of 1.04986/Therm! That's an 86% increase, nearly DOUBLING my Natural Gas Bill year over year!! Eek

It's NOT all roses with Natural Gas...LET'S GO BRANDON! Mad

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8771 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
How long will that last?

I'm on scheduled delivery once a month from October to April. Might get one more depending on weather.

In the dead of Winter (Dec/Jan/Feb) that's fairly typical monthly usage.

Where it's getting towards the end of Winter and the forecast is pretty decent temperature-wise, my next delivery may be a little less.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

You should compare this years Natural Gas price to last years price.

Oh I saw all this BS coming when Texas froze solid last year and locked in a two year rate of $0.5500/ccf for my natural gas, I think the default rate is around $0.8000/ccf now and they are raising it another 9.5% for people not locked in.

Posts: 33572 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Liberty Utilities, our Natural Gas supplier offered a rate lock option this year...But after it went into effect, they notified everyone they would NOT be able to honor it due to the price increase, and rescinded it! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8771 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
that's fairly typical monthly usage.

You're saying it costs you over $600 per month now to heat your home? I know it's ME but that is nuts! What was heating oil price last year, a third of that or more?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12345 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Yeah that's crazy for one month Paul.
I just paid $648.53 for 214.6 gallons of propane at an old guest house on the property that I keep at 50 degrees!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7034 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
You might need to have an honest oil furnace tech come out and service your unit and see if you’re using a nozzle that’s too big.

Sometimes if units are serviced by the oil companies they’ll install a nozzle that flows more oil than is necessary so they can sell more oil.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
"The days of inexpensive energy are over and it's going to get a lot more expensive so get ready for it." This from my friend who has worked for DOE the last 20 years.

Posts: 7034 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
For Georgeair and ridewv:

Yup, Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar I can count on burning around 150 gallons/month since the wife decided we're not burning wood any more. Less than half of that when we were burning 4-5 cords a year.

It's a Buderus hot water system installed 7 years ago, maintained by an independent burner tech. The new furnace cut my oil consumption nearly in half by itself when I replaced the ancient monster that came with the house.

Our soapstone wood stove has a warped door and is prone to puffing a bit of smoke when the wind is gusty. If it was just me, I'd live with it, but you know how that goes. We'll shop for a new stove in the Spring but between what we'll no doubt have to pay for a good stove and the inevitable price hike in firewood, I doubt we'll see much, if any, savings.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Yeah if you have to buy firewood it probably won't save you much. Does this oil heat your garage as well?

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
that's fairly typical monthly usage.

You're saying it costs you over $600 per month now to heat your home? I know it's ME but that is nuts! What was heating oil price last year, a third of that or more?

The OP's house may be like mine, older and built before the days of insulation and other than in my attic, there isn't a lick of it in the house and insulating existing walls would be hugely expensive.

Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Paul, Just be glad you didn't make the switch to all-electric! I know some people down here that bought into the all-season heat pumps and are going crazy over the Electrical Supply price hikes.

I'll keep my hot air furnace (although I am going to upgrade to a 98% efficient one next year and add a pellet stove to the mix.).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Most of the house is fairly well insulated. Since I landed here full time in 1988 I've pretty much gutted the interior of the house a room at a time, re-did insulation and installed new windows.

I expect the big loser is the ceilings/attic/roof. That hasn't been touched since the 1955 remodel/addition. The original part of the house is from sometime around WWI judging by newspapers used between finish and sub-floors. The exterior walls of that portion have been reinsulated as I replaced lath-and-plaster with insulation and drywall.

And a BIG ol' 10-4 on the electric. In the 70's a whole raft of houses got built around here with all-electric heat and a sweetheart deal with the electric utility. I don't know of a single one that hasn't been converted to some sort of fuel heat, usually at serious expense and difficulty.

Also, Yup on the firewood. Last time I bought any, I paid something like $160/cord for tree length. At that time, cut/split/delivered was going for $250-300 a cord. I think I could still deal with getting tree length and working up my own, I know it wouldn't be much (if any) savings if I had to go with c/s/d wood.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Also, no the garage is not heated. My new shop is and I'm less than halfway through the tank full I bought when I installed the furnace.

Prior to the current price hikes, it cost in the high $300's to low $400's a month for Winter heat.

When Trump was in office and before this country lost it's collective mind, it was cheaper to heat with oil than with wood and that's at "work up your own" prices.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Also, no the garage is not heated. My new shop is and I'm less than halfway through the tank full I bought when I installed the furnace.....

Actually that's what I meant, the newly remodeled shop. So it has its own fuel furnace then.