SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Medicare Wellness Visits
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medicare Wellness Visits Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
Here we go again. When I signed up for BC/BS I specifically opted out of the wellness visit program.

Just got my first call trying to sign me up. I told the caller “no thanks” politely. When asked for a reason I said I feel it’s a invasion of my privacy and if they had any questions regarding my health that information is available from my doctors.

So the next thing, they offer a seventy five dollar gift card for participation. I still declined.

They have to be making a s*** ton of money on these between paying the person doing the assessment, the billers, the company’s overhead and profit and giving the patient a kickback on top of this.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8350 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
The questions asked of me, here is one:

Them: Do you have any guns?

Me: Yes, I have 2 caulking guns, a glue gun, several tape guns, and I used to have a Paint Gun that hooks up to the air compressor hose but I got rid of it.

Them: OH never mind.

Oh, wait, I have a cannon. A Pepper Cannon. Grinds up pepper corns super fast, you should get a Pepper Cannon too. Here's a Pepper Cannon Link

Them: Mumble mumble grumble grumple walks away.

Posts: 11964 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
And it's not just with Medicare... I'm decades away from being Medicare eligible, but I've had regular BCBS medical insurance since February, and I've been getting multiple calls from their subcontractor (Signify) trying to get me to agree to an "in-home wellness assessment".

Hell. No.

I'll get that from my own PCP in their office at my annual wellness check, just like I've done every year for the past 20+ years, thankyouverymuch.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fail to see how a one visit and done examiner that these contract companies use is qualified to advise my board certified Cardiologist who also serves as my PCP (and has since 1998) how he should treat me.

I see my Cardiologist two to three times a year, get bloodwork performed twice a year. He has referred me in the past to a Urologist, a Pulmonologist and an Orthopedic doctor as the need arises.

Massive waste of time, energy and money as far as I’m concerned.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8350 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask them if you can do the "in-home" at their place. Tell them if they have pizza rolls, you'll pick up some beer on your way over.

Posts: 798 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
Ask them if you can do the "in-home" at their place. Tell them if they have pizza rolls, you'll pick up some beer on your way over.

Oh, that’s part of the game plan. A different insurer for my Advantage plan stated that one purpose of the wellness visit was to assess your residence for hazards and to make suggestions how to make things easier and safer.

They are all in home visits.

And dangling a seventy five dollar gift card in front of me, BFD. That was the zinger that was supposed to convince me that I should jump on that. What an insult. In other words I can be bought off.

Or in other words “Not for free I won’t but twenty bucks is twenty bucks”……

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have a wellness session with my doctor every year. Mostly paid for by Medicare and/or my United Healthcare health insurance. Seems reasonable to me. I don’t know what BC/BS is.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9410 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blue Cross/Blue Shield?

Posts: 1219 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
A good guess, I think.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9410 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I get these calls regularly for my sister, as I am her guardian. She's on Medicaid and Social Security disability due to lifelong multiple disabilities. She's been in some form of assisted living for 25 years.

Every time they call I tell them no, she is in a facility with full time care, and she has a doc who comes to her regularly.

There is always at least one followup call and multiple mailings. Then the cycle repeats after a few months.

Posts: 9707 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This so called service is from Medicare. In most cases the hospital gets paid for these rather worthless visits. You can decline to answer any questions.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I set mine up to be a phone call. Don't plan on answering my phone that day, though. I wonder how many times they'll try before giving up. Smile

I'll let them know if I need anything.

I don't even like them insisting I answer whether I'm retired or still working, when I go to the office. How does that affect them one way or the other, in providing medical care? I tell them, "Put in whatever you like, doesn't matter to me."

Posts: 15137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Experienced my first last month. Medicare requires it I'm told. Doctor had his nurse ask the stupid questions as he later admitted to me it was a stupid waste of time that he wanted no part of. But damned if I'm not scheduled for another bullshit session in one year.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16502 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Medicare requires it I'm told.
How is this "requirement" enforced?

What is the penalty for non-compliance?

I have received email messages from my primary care doc's office for a few years, urging me to make an appointment for an annual Medicare Wellness visit. I continue to ignore them and to date, I have not been disciplined.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31340 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
The wellness check drives my wife crazy. She tried to refuse it and the local clinic said if she doesn't get it, they will drop her as a patient. Not sure how that would go but I bet it'd be a bureaucratic beeyotch to fight.

Curiously, since I switched to the VA as my PCP, I haven't had a wellness check nor have I been contacted by Medicare. I DO get a checkup complete with labs and bloodwork every 6 months, perhaps they're logging one of them as a wellness check.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15470 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Experienced my first last month. Medicare requires it I'm told. Doctor had his nurse ask the stupid questions as he later admitted to me it was a stupid waste of time that he wanted no part of. But damned if I'm not scheduled for another bullshit session in one year.

From the National Council On Aging:
Does Medicare require a Wellness Visit every year?

Medicare does not require that you have a Medicare Wellness Visit every year. But it’s important to take advantage of all the Medicare benefits available to you. This free yearly visit is an extra tool in your health care toolbox. It can help you prevent disability, illness, and chronic disease, so you can stay well and live your best life possible. You may want to set a reminder for yourself every year to schedule your Annual Wellness Visit.

Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
From what I understand, the annual wellness visit, (AWV) isn’t really anything other than they ask you questions, kind of check vision, but they don’t actually touch you in any way, like a physical visit. They fill out a bunch of paperwork, with your answers. Stupid if you ask me. Medicare doesn’t cover physicals, they consider them routine, and always patient responsible. (Not sure about the advantage plans.) Only the AWV is paid once a year. And make sure it’s 12 months from the last one by the way. Not one day too soon. But the dr offices have a quota to fill, so they try and schedule one for you all the time, once you’re eligible. They have to meet Medicare requirements on those for doing those. I’m going to try to stay away from those AWV’s.

Posts: 1146 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again from the NCOA website:

During your visit, you will be asked to fill out a questionnaire called a Health Risk Assessment. Your responses will help your provider gain a better understanding of your current health and your risk factors. The appointment may also include:

Recording of height, weight, body mass index (BMI), blood pressure, and other routine measurements
Review of your medical and family history
Review of your current health care providers and any prescriptions, vitamins, and/or supplements you’re taking
Creation of a health screening schedule for the next 5-10 years based on your age, family history, and unique risk factors
Review of functional ability (your ability to perform everyday tasks on your own) and safety (first visit only)
Creation of a list of risk factors/conditions along with recommendations/treatment options
Discussion of advance care planning (care you would receive if you could not speak for yourself)
Personalized health advice and referrals for issues such as weight management, falls prevention, diet and nutrition, and smoking cessation

I’m not trusting these third party “calling for (insert your insurer here) companies whatsoever.

Aetna was getting really pushy a couple of years back with me. I would tell them “not interested and please do not call again” only to receive three more calls in the next three days.

First two calls politely, third one while knowing these were voluntary I said “Is this required as part of my insurance?” The response “This is a no cost benefit to the policyholder”. My response was “Then don’t call me again, I don’t want one and won’t agree to one.”

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

I said “Is this required as part of my insurance?” The response “This is a no cost benefit to the policyholder”
That kind of bullshit prompts me to say "PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION! A one-word reply is all that is needed. Is this REQUIRED as part of my insurance? YES or NO?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31340 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I just cancelled my June 2025 Wellness Check appointment. We'll see what response I get.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16502 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post