SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Fox News and the blurring of faces.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fox News and the blurring of faces. Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
They've been doing this for some time and I just find it irritating. For the most part it is just children that they do this with, but why?

This morning, they are showing clips from a train station somewhere in Hungary. There was a woman carrying a approximately 1-2 year old child and his/her face is blurred out. Why? Would anyone in the world possibly recognize this infant/toddler, and if so...who cares?

The parents and all of the other adults are not blurred out, but this one baby is.

Grrr....

What is the reason for this?

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Because they didn't give consent for their faces to be used.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
That would normally be an expected reason, but did they then go around and ask the 1500 other people at the train station for consent to be filmed? Doubtful.

They are a news station and constantly film people all over the world. They can't possibly get consent from everyone they film, yet they only blur out the faces of kids.

It's a small thing, I suppose, but it irritates me. Probably because I don't know the answer.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Is it implied consent for the adults image to be videoed because they are there because of their own free unlike the children that are there under control of their parents and or responsible adult?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I think children's faces being blurred has been a standard for quite some time now.

I also saw a clip of people passing boxes of molotov cocktails and they blurred the face of the man who turned towards the camera while passing a box of molotov cocktails. I can certainly understand why Fox should have and did blur his face.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19649 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I think children's faces being blurred has been a standard for quite some time now.

Yep. Juveniles' faces are blurred unless they have explicit consent from their parent/custodian.

Whereas showing the faces of adults in public is considered fine, as there is no expectation of privacy in public areas.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

Yep. Juveniles' faces are blurred unless they have explicit consent from their parent/custodian.

Why? What is the point? As mentioned, not one person on the planet other than perhaps the child's parent is going to recognize a 1 year old at a train station in BF Hungary.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Bigfoot is the father of these babies. Final answer...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Why? What is the point? As mentioned, not one person on the planet other than perhaps the child's parent is going to recognize a 1 year old at a train station in BF Hungary.

I think it is out of an abundance of caution and super-careful lawyers. Public is public, and if you are out in it, you have no expectation that your image or presence in a public place is private or won't be seen and even photographed. I don't think this actually differs for children. Perhaps some places have a statute that covers children as a different case, but I don't know of any.

However, if something "bad" happened and it was somehow related to an image of a child in the media, all the being right in the world wouldn't help you, and you'd be crucified. So, it is a "better safe than sorry" thing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
If they'd just blur Speaker Pigosi's countenance during reports ...

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised no one has brought up that Europe has some pretty stringent privacy laws and regulations, I'm sure that has a bit to do with all this. Compared to them, the US has pretty lax protections on privacy.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post