SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Thanksgiving Prep - Power Outage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanksgiving Prep - Power Outage Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Spent the morning g prepping the house & food for our extended family to come over for a late lunch.
Planned on starting the oven around 11. Power went out at around 1030. Its now 330 & we still have no power.

Eta for power restore was 215, now looking like 5pm. Just hoping we have power tonight.

Luckily, my in-laws live 5 mules away. So the turkey & hot dishes are cooking over there. Plan is to just migrate that way when the food's ready.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15306 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Bummer man.

For once our street had power when we could hear gennys on the street behind us.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was inconvenient! Hope you don't have a repeat ice storm like last year.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
That was inconvenient! Hope you don't have a repeat ice storm like last year.

That is no joke! Snowmageddon sucked.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We reconvened at the in-laws, looks like the power co is not reporting any outage now.

Posts: 15306 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Glad it’s working out.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Home with power. Relaxing after a bit of a chaotic day.

posted Hide Post
Just that much more to be thankful for. Glad it all worked out.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Our power dumped about 10:45 which was about 15 minutes before I was departing for Thanksgiving. I have a Kohler whole house generator and it kicked on. Builder built my neighborhood with electric wall or electric double wall ovens so I knew the neighbors' cooking plans were DOA. I fired up both ovens to 350, group texted the neighbors, and a couple took me up on the offer to use my kitchen.

I saw some nice TG pictures posted from the neighbors who used my kitchen. When I arrived home last night the whole place had an awesome roast turkey and herbs smell to it. Kitchen was spotless too.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Our power dumped about 10:45 which was about 15 minutes before I was departing for Thanksgiving. I have a Kohler whole house generator and it kicked on. Builder built my neighborhood with electric wall or electric double wall ovens so I knew the neighbors' cooking plans were DOA. I fired up both ovens to 350, group texted the neighbors, and a couple took me up on the offer to use my kitchen.

I saw some nice TG pictures posted from the neighbors who used my kitchen. When I arrived home last night the whole place had an awesome roast turkey and herbs smell to it. Kitchen was spotless too.

Good on ya! We have a few neighbors with generators, but their ovens were full from the neighbors without.
Our ovens are electric controlled gas, so still a no go.

Luckily, the in-laws are just a few miles away & traffic in our little area was light.

posted Hide Post
This could be abused. "Yeah, I'd love to host Thanksgiving at my house next year for all my siblings, their offspring, etc, but the power's going to be out. Sorry!" Smile

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Funny, when we sat down to dinner, I said to my wife that the only thing that would make it better would be an all day power outage. I’d love to save the day with my whole house diesel genset, and she would no longer complain about the money I spent on it. It would be perfect.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I’d love to save the day with my whole house diesel genset, and she would no longer complain about the money I spent on it. It would be perfect.
It's been a banner year for the Kohler at the TatorTodd compound. Winter Storm Uri it ran 50+ hours straight, and then yesterday. Prior to that, zero hurricanes since installing and the grid finally stabilized (doubling size of neighborhood had caused a lot of planned and unplanned outages) had left me questioning my investment.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I’d love to save the day with my whole house diesel genset, and she would no longer complain about the money I spent on it. It would be perfect.
It's been a banner year for the Kohler at the TatorTodd compound. Winter Storm Uri it ran 50+ hours straight, and then yesterday. Prior to that, zero hurricanes since installing and the grid finally stabilized (doubling size of neighborhood had caused a lot of planned and unplanned outages) had left me questioning my investment.

It's on our eventually list for the house.
Probably a more practical investment than upgrading our existing solar setup.