SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I was just at the store
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
I was just at the store Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
I got $75 back for the two impact socket sets I bought two weeks ago that are now on sale. I picked up gloves, wheel chocks, some tie down straps, shop towels, CRC Brake Cleaner, zip ties (not that I needed them, but on sale), and other things.

Stop at the auto parts store to pick up the CV axles. Get home, chock the minivan, jack it up, set the jack stands, pull the front wheels, undo the sway bar end link, pull the strut bolts, and that’s when I realized I did not have a 35mm impact socket for the axle nut.

I WAS JUST AT THE STORE!!! I could have purchased one at either store, but Harbor Freight has a set of them from 29mm to 38mm on sale for $40. Mad

On a side note, Harbor Freight has a Quinn 61 piece impact socket set for $130. Metric and SAE, deep and standard, three extensions, etc. in an OK case.
 
Posts: 14922 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
35mm and 1 3/8" are interchangeable if you have the SAE impact socket.


_____________________________
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.
 
Posts: 5435 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
This is me, just about every time I step into Home Depot.
Almost always takes 2 trips, sometimes 3.

Luckily, it's 2 miles away




The Enemy's gate is down.
 
Posts: 18857 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Brad's Rule For Plumbing Projects:
All plumbing projects require 3 trips to the hardware store.
Twenty mile round trip to town. Fortunately, they are open 07:00-20:00.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 11688 | Location: Willow Fen Farm | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
sigmonkey's rule.

Never touch water on the weekend.

Cus, no matter how prepared you think you are, shit's gonna leak, you won't have what you need to fix what you broke, and you will curse me for not warning you sooner...

(amIright?)


(and a sigmonkey loves commas)




"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" ✡ Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא עוד
 
Posts: 46609 | Location: Box 1663 Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Worse yet if you need something and your only vehicle is apart. I have a little backup now, then the motorcycle.
 
Posts: 7548 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Holiday weekends are the worst for some projects. But ya, every single time I have to make more than one trip. I thought I had it this time. I even bought a $9.99 on sale set of pry bars which I used even rather than screw up my nice screwdrivers.

We got it done before it rained. We’re doing the passenger’s side today. We’re also putting a new hub on one of the jet ski trailers so my boys are getting a lesson on adjusting wheel bearings and grease types and compatibility.

We’ve replaced the shocks and struts, sway bar end links, rear bump stops, changed the oil, checked the brakes, and the tires are good. I paid the man to do the A/C and timing belt. For tools and supplies, it’s got a torque wrench, air compressor, plug kit, gloves, the proper size socket, breaker bar, small 3/8” ratchet set, 10mm and 12mm combination wrench’s, wiper blades, jug of oil, oil drain pan, two gallons distilled water, and two rolls of shop towels. Plus his camping gear, 100’ of orange paracord, and a knife.

How’s that for commas?

Minivan should be ready for my 19yo son’s summer roadtrip to his 6-week geology field camp in Idaho and back. He went on a one week trip to Death Valley in November for one of his classes and was the only one who knew how to change the tire when their 15 passenger van got a flat. He should be good to go, but he’s going to forget something. It’s genetic.
 
Posts: 14922 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Seems whatever project you take on will require a minimum of 4 trips to the store.

Trip 1 Thing X isn’t working. I’ll buy a new thing. You go to store.
Trip 2 New thing doesn’t have same fittings that match old thing. You go to store to buy parts to make new part fit existing stuff.
Trip 3 What you bought still doesn’t work so you buy +/- 2” worth of parts to adapt old to new.
Trip 4 You return all the parts you didn’t need.

Also start any project at 0600 on Saturday. Or, as Sig Monkey suggests, take Thursday and Friday off, to start projects.

The DAT observation: No matter how simple the project appears, it will take 5x the time you anticipated it would take.
 
Posts: 273 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Brad's Rule For Plumbing Projects:
All plumbing projects require 3 trips to the hardware store.
Twenty mile round trip to town. Fortunately, they are open 07:00-20:00.

I installed a reverse osmosis water system under the kitchen sink today and if you count stopping at the hardware store first only to find they didn’t have what I needed and then going to Home Depot as 2 trips, then I did it in 3. Half a day shot on what should have taken an hour.
 
Posts: 14922 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
(and a sigmonkey loves commas)


Comma, comma, comma, comma, Comma Chameleon!




Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
 
Posts: 16715 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yer a funny boy, George.




"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" ✡ Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא עוד
 
Posts: 46609 | Location: Box 1663 Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
^^^
sigmonkey's rule.

Never touch water on the weekend.

Cus, no matter how prepared you think you are, shit's gonna leak, you won't have what you need to fix what you broke, and you will curse me for not warning you sooner...

(amIright?)


(and a sigmonkey loves commas)
LMAO
 
Posts: 1253 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I once went to Home Depot to replace a hot water tank that was peeing on the floor when went to empty the dryer. This was back when they were open 24/7 and I went in at 10:30 PM. I told the guy that I needed a new hot water tank and I needed to get everything I needed in just one trip. He said I can do that but you will end up with some extra copper tubing. So started with 90 and 45 degree angle fittings with a pair of each. Then it was 2 6 foot lengths of copper tubing. Hot water tand was a 60 gallon unit because I do like a nice long shower and the original 40 gallon tended to cut the showers a bit short. Then there was a Map gas torch to speed up the soldering, the mandated lead free silver based solder, flux, sand paper. As it turned out I had everything needed for the job and those 45 degree fittings were genius. Because I had to position the tank to the existing gas port which put the hot and cold sides of the tank opposite those on the original tank. Had it all put together and was in bed at 2:30 AM and woke up to hot water in the morning. BTW that tank lasted for 15 years without any issues at all. Replaced it when the furnace died because I know how old it was.

Point is if you can find a store service person who actually knows his stuff don't be afraid to ask for help in getting everything needed in just one trip.


I've stopped counting.
 
Posts: 5984 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I was just at the store

© SIGforum 2026