SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Call outs, no shows and slackers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Call outs, no shows and slackers Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
You would think that when the fountain of free covid money dried up, people would have to work again but it’s gotten even worse. On any given day I’m probably averaging a 25% call out/no show rate. I’ve got people that have missed more work since Jan 1 than I have in over 30 years. We’re good to people at the store level and corporate has been good to us all. If the labor market ever flips back to where it’s hard to get a job, these people are screwed. Mad

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
It’s rampant, there’s no question. I dread having to put a job ad online, for all the tire kickers.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5334 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
At a certain point, we have to quit blaming COVID and start placing the blame on the hundreds of thousands of shitty Gen X and Millennial parents who didn't prepare their progeny to be in the work force.

My buddy and his wife were small business owners for 25ish years. She was full-time manager and he was more the maintenance guy as he had a full-time career (i.e. my coworker) prior to his 2020 retirement. They were overjoyed to have sold the business at the end of 2023 as the labor market work ethic had made it miserable the last 3.5 to 4 years. No shows, last minute callouts, only willing to be scheduled a goldilocks work schedule, when they did actually show up tried to be on their damn phone the entire time, etc. made it so one of them was there practically every minute that the 7 day a week business was open. There was also multiple instances of employees showing up 20 to 30 minutes late and if they said anything the employee would quit on the spot.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23304 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Happened 10 years ago.. Had a co-worker who had trouble of getting to work on time... Shop owners made arrangements for him to get a apartment next door to the shop.. His apartment door was approx 100yards to the shop time clock.... He still had trouble of being on time.. Even with other employees going and knocking on his door he still had problems of being on time ....... So the shop fired him and he still wanted to know why he was fired............................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were having this same discussion last night . She was a Manager at Lowe's . She had a girl called in one morning . It was raining hard and the girl told her that her mother didn't want her driving in bad weather . This girl was 20 yrs old ...
I told my wife that at least she called . Most of them wouldn't even do that .

Posts: 4066 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
In the past 10 days, I’ve fired three people that couldn’t be bothered to show up and a 4th is on deck if he doesn’t come in tomorrow. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand how these people survive. My guess would be living off the government because our government can’t limit government programs. I’m all for government programs, but I think there should be limitations. I don’t think able-bodied twenty something year olds should be able to leach off the government for their entire life because they are too lazy to get a job, or maybe 2 jobs… whatever it takes to be an adult.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
I don’t understand how these people survive. My guess would be living off the government because our government can’t limit government programs. I’m all for government programs, but I think there should be limitations. I don’t think able-bodied twenty something year olds should be able to leach off the government for their entire life because they are too lazy to get a job, or maybe 2 jobs… whatever it takes to be an adult.
As long as those people vote " correctly " , the government will support them .

Posts: 4066 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Happened 10 years ago.. Had a co-worker who had trouble of getting to work on time... Shop owners made arrangements for him to get a apartment next door to the shop.. His apartment door was approx 100yards to the shop time clock.... He still had trouble of being on time.. Even with other employees going and knocking on his door he still had problems of being on time ....... So the shop fired him and he still wanted to know why he was fired............................... drill sgt.

I have to laugh because that was me in the Navy. We were in dry dock for several months. Muster was at 7 AM and the day ends at 3 PM. I, along with others who always go out drinking, were always late. They moved muster earlier to 6:30. Guess who was still late. After muster, we would go down to one of the shaft alley decks and sleep until noon when we'd wake up for lunch. Then wait until liberty call to go out to town.

I remember this deacades later when I would wake up at 4:30 AM to leave the house and miss the 35 mile commute hours which would have made the trip 2 hours one way. I worked routinely until 7 PM to 10 PM at night, catching naps in my car in the parking lot. Karma.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19691 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
These days I'm not seeing the normal level of drive and tenacity I used to see as normal. I especially see this lack of drive in the younger crowd now coming online. These same people back then were hard charging, hyper productive, and accomplished. I don't see that level of drive across the board like I used to. It's a different world for sure. I don't get it.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Fired another one today. Now I’m the bad guy for firing a pregnant woman. Nevermind the fact that she wasn’t reporting her absences to Sedgwick in the time allowed or that I let three such violations accrue instead of pouncing on the first one (already on a final notice due to attendance before the pregnancy). Mad