SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People thinking it’s ok the tear down a brand new gun at a gun store
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People thinking it’s ok the tear down a brand new gun at a gun store Login/Join 
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I ask before doing anything, including dry firing.

If one wants to look at something, ask the salesman to take that component apart, if they can.

I also would only gravitate that way I’d I was serious about buying.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tear down a brand new gun? Only if he's got money in hand and is going to walk out the door with it if the internals are satisfactory.

There's no need to tear down a brand new gun without it being contingent on a purchase if it all checks out.

I've seen enough people and to be honest I've done it too where I fumble or slip a part when reassembling and leave a mark. It happens, especially with the older flat take down Sigs and the smileys they leave on the frame if I didn't use a business card underneath.

Used guns, however, ask permission and proceed.

Posts: 790 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done it when I was serious about buying a used gun, and was going to buy it unless I found something amiss.

I wouldn't do it on a new gun, which has a warranty, or on a used gun I was considering but not really serious about.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
If I have any interest in buying it, it's getting dry fired, and field stripped, before I buy, but only with explicit permission, and then carefully and not much dry firing. I won't buy a gun that I haven't seen function, and if I haven't inspected the basic interior mechanical condition.

quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
I wouldn't do it on a new gun, which has a warranty, or on a used gun I was considering but not really serious about.

With permission, yes.

A number of years ago, I bought a new Sig 556 (yes, it was a while ago). I did not strip or function check. As it turned out, new from the factory, the bolt would not lock to the rear on an empty mag. it was a real pain to get it fixed. And of course, the LGS would not take it on return as defective.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's a tool, like a shovel or a lawnmower.

And I don't treat them all primpy like some heirloom unless it actually is, or is somehow particular expensive.

Otherwise, it's essentially a Bosch Drill That Goes Bang. Start it, strip it, open it, close it, dry fire it, finger bang it, who cares.

Collector sorts who baby such things are a different breed that I barely understand, personally. It's not "my precious" to me.

That's not to say I mistreat it. That's altogether different, but really it's just an advanced sling shot, and ought to be treated/revered accordingly.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Bottom line, we don't care. And by we, I mean those of us in the industry. Don't like my rules, get pissed. I paid for this gun, look at it, finger fuck it like your 8th grade girlfriend, but don't get upset when I say if you wanna buy it, that's the one that's available. There are 500 guys behind you that will buy, and frankly, you're not that important. So go home and disappoint your wife, cuz I'm not interested on why you think this thing that has bombs going off at 25k PSI inside of it is now somehow damaged because a few guys touched it.

My advice is to go to a factory and watch how the sausage is made.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally I wouldn’t feel the need to take a gun apart unless it was a used one. Even then, I would have the shop field strip it. Either way I don’t believe it’s going to harm a gun to do so. That being said, I had an experience with a shop (now closed) that was processing a transfer of an HK P7M8 that I had purchased on line. When I went to pick up the pistol the guy at the counter said he had to go get it from the back. Through the door I could see the gunsmith hurriedly attempting to get the grips back on my pistol and get it re-assembled. Yeah, I was more than a little pissed off. Fortunately the pistol was fine, but really? WTF, over!

Posts: 176 | Registered: May 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "unmolested gun from the back" kills me. We don't have back stock, can't afford to keep them. Anyway, how many hands you think touched that gun getting it thru the factory and onto the floor?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

This thread is like Rainman and Sam I am riding the Titanic as it crashes into the Hindenburg.

Some of these guys are wound way to tight.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
^^^^^

This thread is like Rainman and Sam I am riding the Titanic as it crashes into the Hindenburg.

Mr. Jones, you do give a good laugh some days. Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I try. Big Grin

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of these guys are wound way to tight.

Watch a guy try to (a) snatch a 1920s commercial Colt 1911 out of your hand when offered, dry fire it like he has Tourettes, and proceed to make a feeble attempt to disassemble it, or (b), see a guy slam a Parker AAH closed like he just quit his job, or (c) be berated by a Ford Econoline full of Amish dudes descending on the 4 or 5 irreplaceable Winchester "four and ten side by eaches" on display, and you'll understand why this Iron slinger is wound so tight.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I think they should each get one round to fire.

Doesn't make sense to buy a car without a test drive does it?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6256 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The good Rev is correct. And do you tear down a new car before you buy it? Guns in a store are OPP, other people's property. Do you allow your buddies to take your Legion or X5 apart?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I go under the hood of a car I'm about to buy.

In fact, I test every possible moving part if possible.

Just as I will inspect a firearm for defects on the spot. The big retailer in Smyrna will bring me a mat to take it apart.

I bought an Uberti/Cimmaron conversion revolver months back and he brought me a screwdriver and plastic hammer to remove the wedge. I declined as I could feel it was a spectacular example with no need for close inspection other than pulling the hammer back a few times.

I bought it on the spot because he was willing for me to look it over.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you drop the engine and transmission?

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Do you drop the engine and transmission?

Do you ever ask a non-smartass question?

A weapon is designed with disassembly for maintenance. It causes no damage.

Releasing the slide and laying the barrel, spring and frame on a mat is not some sacred process reserved for armorers.

The engine and transmission are not designed to be removed for simple maintenance.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I guess the problem originates with non-shooters who have never field stripped a gun. Had they survived basic training, they'd understand guns can be taken down and put back without any damage. Should be, in fact, every time they're cleaned after every shooting session. But they don't know that or practice it. A clean gun is a happy gun. If you're life will depend on it to work, you would want to know what every part does and that its clean and lubed. Just like your girlfriend.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I wanna see the guts of a gun before I make an offer or buy, especially a used gun. Damn straight I'm going to take it apart

Same here, but I always ask permission first! In most cases, the sales staff already know me and know that I can accomplish the task safely and correctly.

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed, guns can be disassembled and reassembled without damage, BY NON-GOOBERS. I've seen far too many idiots exhibit stupidity to trust random customers. "Flipping" the cylinder shut on a '40's revolver, trying to "hammer" a slide back into place with the magazine inserted, or sending a guide rod flying are far too common. If I know you, ask. If I don't, ask ME to take it apart and I will. Don't be disassembling that Remington-Rand 1911 without asking.