SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Wounded Warrior Billboards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wounded Warrior Billboards Login/Join 
posted
I made a few modest donations to Wounded Warrior when the organization first started. For various reasons, including management shenanigans, I started sending my dollars in other directions. Wounded Warriors apparently got their ship in order, and I wished them well.

I've been back in northern Minnesota the last few weeks, except for a Montana adventure. The day after I got back, I'm headed to the rifle club and see a WW billboard by the highway. Couldn't read it at the speed I was driving and put it out of my mind. A few days later, when I'm headed to Montana I take the time to read it and see that it's in Spanish(!) About five miles later there's the same billboard in Spanish.

Now, I'm not sure exactly why WW would even have a billboard in Spanish or any other foreign language (although I'm sure someone can come up with some BS reason), but I'm absolutely certain that this particular region of the country is a really, really stupid place to put such a billboard.

If that's the way they spend their advertising budget, I'll continue to send my dollars elsewhere.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Smithosonian Channel runs these ads constantly.

They must spend half their budget on advertising. It makes me very skeptical. There is NEVER any mention of the Intrepid Program in San Antonio.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
There's an interesting article on the rise and fall of the WW project at the link below.

Here's an interesting and slightly disgusting factoid from the article:

Under the Charity Watch rating system, Wounded Warrior Project has a modest C+, up from a C in 2015, said Daniel Borochoff, the accountability organization's president. He noted, approvingly, that as of 2018, 64% of WWP spending goes to fund programs, up from about 54% in 2016. Ideally, though, the ratio should be higher. (Linnington said more than 72% of WWP spending currently goes toward programs.)

https://www.military.com/daily...-regains-ground.html

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
From what I recall, that Wounded Warrior Project has a bit of anti-gun history. There are other programs to which you can send your money.

An oldie:

https://www.guns.com/news/2012...arification-anti-gun

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two tour Vietnam veteran, 4 Purple Hearts. Managed to complete a career in law enforcement, then built a small business from nothing to international. Rated 60% service-connected disability (and 100% overall) but I've never drawn a dime in pension, I never needed it so I figured it could go to someone who did need it.

I am more than a little skeptical about politicians, organized religion, veterans charity groups, and promises from people asking for money.

My specialty as a cop was forgery and fraud investigations, and I have never had to look very far to see something worth a hard question or two. Glad I am retired now and don't have to deal with schemers and scammers.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post