SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stores that don't open until 9AM
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stores that don't open until 9AM Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Obviously, it works for them as they're still in business, but I'm a morning person and it aggravates the shit out of me to be in town at a store I know is open (Home Depot) and not be able to pick up the other things I want.

And, no, I'm NOT waiting around an hour (or more) for them to get off their lazy asses and open the doors.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Agreed, for those of us that work a 8-5, it makes having to do a lunch run a necessity.
Especially if the store hours are 9-4 Roll Eyes

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15257 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I am NOT a morning person. Lifetime of working at night, and a childhood where food only came in at 2:00am or later.

The thing that pisses me off is service departments for vehicles. Dude I’m at work in the day. Why can’t you clowns have service in the evenings? You know when people are off work and have the time to take care of such things? Same for dentist, doctor, etc.

Then motorcycle dealerships are closed on Sunday and Monday. People are off on Sunday from work. This is when I have time for this sort of thing.

Then there are things like the gym. Was open 24 hours a day during weekdays. Now they close at 10pm. Chinamart was open 24 hours now they close at 11pm. Here after 10pm, the only thing that is open is Whataburger and Jack in the Crack. Grocery store closes at 11pm and they used to be open until 1am.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends where you live. Most of the services you describe are available. Of course some are more expensive for Saturday and evening hours. Waffle House is always open for your dining pleasure!

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
The one that gets me is the breakfast joint that doesn't open until 8 am! I gotta get to work so how about opening at 7?!

Posts: 782 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
10 am for a lot of retail has been pretty standard for my whole life. Hardware and food stores are the exception.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I understand your gripe but I am or was never a 'morning person' either as have been a part of the retail workforce and it's hours and regular corporate workforce hours.

It's what you get used to.

One thing that morning-folk seem to believe that the those on a different schedule are "lazy".
THAT is a big crock of shit > except for the 30 year old still living in his mother's basement. Smile

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm also a morning person and was in Home Depot at 6:10 this morning, then Fry's Supermarket at 6:30.

I like to get all shopping done no later than 8AM.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I am NOT a morning person. Lifetime of working at night, and a childhood where food only came in at 2:00am or later.

The thing that pisses me off is service departments for vehicles. Dude I’m at work in the day. Why can’t you clowns have service in the evenings? You know when people are off work and have the time to take care of such things? Same for dentist, doctor, etc.

Then motorcycle dealerships are closed on Sunday and Monday. People are off on Sunday from work. This is when I have time for this sort of thing.

Then there are things like the gym. Was open 24 hours a day during weekdays. Now they close at 10pm. Chinamart was open 24 hours now they close at 11pm. Here after 10pm, the only thing that is open is Whataburger and Jack in the Crack. Grocery store closes at 11pm and they used to be open until 1am.

I can assure you the biggest roadblock is staffing. I retired five years ago and I’m still getting the “Hey, ever thought of coming back? Full time, part time, anything?” inquiries today.

Three months ago I quit my post retirement job in a motorcycle dealership parts department,been doing that since 1999 in addition to my full time jobs over the years. Working hours was one of the reasons. At 70 I do not have any desire to work 10-12 hour days even on a part time basis. In the last year they hired three people for full time positions, one lasted two weeks, one almost a month. One left due to injuries in a crash. One or two were “hired” but never showed up.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8096 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I understand your gripe but I am or was never a 'morning person' either as have been a part of the retail workforce and it's hours and regular corporate workforce hours.

It's what you get used to.

One thing that morning-folk seem to believe that the those on a different schedule are "lazy".
THAT is a big crock of shit > except for the 30 year old still living in his mother's basement. Smile

I’ve never been a morning person but adapted to it for 60+ years between school and work. Usual bed time is now around 1-2 AM and up between 8-9.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8096 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

I can assure you the biggest roadblock is staffing. I retired five years ago and I’m still getting the “Hey, ever thought of coming back? Full time, part time, anything?” inquiries today.

^^^THIS. No staff, can’t operate.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5302 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
OH come on!!!

You can do a far better rant than that puny excuse, and we are overdue to be entertained by an epic rant.

Back to the keyboard, Mister!!!

(Later, I'm off to the store to get some fresh popcorn kernels)

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
In my sleepy hometown, many of the stores along main street don't open until 10am or even 11am!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Now especially in the last year or two with the staffing shortages due to multible reasons and with the amount of actual customer traffic with the profit margin made during these early opening hours has to be a deceiding factor on operational hours. ........ drill sgt.

Posts: 1997 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

A lot of people have families they would like to see in the evening, just like everyone else.

Our hours used to run until 9pm. Since covid we now close the department at 8pm. Honestly I think 7pm is ideal.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
We've been opening our appliance store at 10:00 for 38 years. That always gave me time to go to the bank or pick up stuff before i had to be there to unlock the door.

And since I'm the boss and I hate mornings, and I have a great store manager, the past 3 or 4 years I come in at out 11:30. OTOH, I leave between 20:00 and 21:00.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Growing up in eastern Iowa in the early 60's

Grocery opened at 8
Everything else 9 or 10

Closed on Sunday ,
Open till 7 pm on Thursdays

Life was grand

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

A lot of people have families they would like to see in the evening, just like everyone else.

Our hours used to run until 9pm. Since covid we now close the department at 8pm. Honestly I think 7pm is ideal.

One of the car dealerships I worked for started thinking about being open M-F 24 hours and closing Saturday night at midnight. That shit died quickly as they were figuring on twelve hour shifts, in fact for a couple weeks we worked 12’s as a “temporary situation” when we moved to a new facility. There was immediate pushback from us. I can’t speak for the others but I was putting out feelers and I had only been there for two months having been recruited to go there. 38 years in the business and that wasn’t going to fly with me.

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm also a morning person. In our local hardware store this morning around 7:30, stop at Orschelins at a quarter to and home by 8:30.

Around here most regular business are open early except for the retail stores which open at 9 and even some of those won't open until 10.

Shoot, 10 o'clock??? That almost time for my afternoon nap. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Obviously, you fail to understand my point of view! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post