SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Unreliable siblings
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unreliable siblings Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Love my sister dearly, she’s one of my closest friends, but she is also the most unreliable people I know.

Today she was supposed to meet me at our mom’s for breakfast. She was supposed to bring an egg-bake. She overslept; of course. I 100% knew that she would, it’s what she does. Obviously no chance of taking mom to a restaurant for breakfast without reservations on Mother’s Day; fortunate that she likes Starbucks Breakfast sandwiches....so off I go.

Just so frustrating.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
People like that get zero responsibilities from me. I refuse to rely on them for anything. Why bother if you know how it will end?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I decline to enable people like that.

Kin or not, if they say they're going to do something with/for me and blow me off without notice or apology, they get an earful from me.

My little brother is the King of that sort of behavior. I see it as a form of Narcissism - "What I randomly decided I want to do is much more important than what I told someone else I would do."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I would just assume she will not contribute at all and plan accordingly. Assume she may or may not even show up.

Honestly though, I’ve eliminated these types of people from my life. I don’t associate with them at all; I’m fine if they appear at the same venue but it won’t be because of any interaction I’ve had with them. I wasted a good portion of 10 years dealing with people like that - friends and family - no more.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People who are late are informing you that their time is more important than yours. Passive aggressive behavior.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I’ve found that people in general don’t seem to be very reliable these days.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
People like that get zero responsibilities from me. I refuse to rely on them for anything. Why bother if you know how it will end?

This. Don't ever rely on an unreliable person. If your sister asks to bring something, tell her to bring something that won't matter if she doesn't or doesn't show.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've gotten rid of these people as well. Some of them are siblings.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
One of my stepmother’s sisters is notoriously late to EVERYTHING. If a family function starts at 2 pm, you MIGHT see her arrive at 4 or 5 pm.

They learned pretty early on for the annual family reunion to assign her dessert if anything at all because if she was assigned to bring salad or something, it would never make it by the time it was needed.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
If you wanted my dad to come over for dinner, invite him over for lunch.

I make it a point not to plan events with people that have this kind of reputation. I doesn’t mean I dislike them, I just put boundaries on them and move on.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Love my sister dearly, she’s one of my closest friends, but she is also the most unreliable people I know.

Today she was supposed to meet me at our mom’s for breakfast. She was supposed to bring an egg-bake. She overslept; of course. I 100% knew that she would, it’s what she does. Obviously no chance of taking mom to a restaurant for breakfast without reservations on Mother’s Day; fortunate that she likes Starbucks Breakfast sandwiches....so off I go.

Just so frustrating.

She still sucks (you know what I mean) but if that is "what she does," then why give her the job? Or do you just want your mother to know it was her fault? Don't play those games, if it was. (I bet she knows already.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a distant relative? (Sister's husband's brother in law) that owned a jewelry store. He was trained as a watchmaker and always said how wearing a fine watch was a reflection of character.

He was always late to events he was invited to.

Posts: 10 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I also notice that the ones who do this float around in a fog of drama. When they are on Facebook their posts read like a soap opera.
If you attempt to talk to them reasonably about their behavior they are the (hand on forehead) "victim".

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
The sister I am referring to in my OP was recently gifted quite a bit of furniture from a generous aunt.

Her only responsibility is to rent a truck and come down to the cities and pick everything up and bring it back to her home.

Instead of doing what she should be doing, she and her husband are going to borrow someone’s “trailer“ and they hope to have it unloaded from the house in about an hour. LOL

I told her it took me an hour to load up the small van worth of things I was able to get from our aunt, it will take her at least twice that as everything is still staged in the house and not sitting in the garage waiting to be loaded.

I also reminded her that she should ask her husband if he has any friends in the area who can help them move things because some of it is quite heavy, she said they would figure it out.

There is a 100% chance the trailer they bring is not going to be big enough.

There is a 100% chance they are not going to get any help and her husband will not be able toGet this furniture out of the house and into the truck by himself.

There is a 100% chance I will not be answering my phone or text messages tomorrow when she calls in a panic looking for me to help move.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always had a "15 minute" rule with people (mostly women) who were late. If they didn't call to inform me they would be late, after 15 minutes I moved on.

Several got pissed at me for not waiting for them.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
My older sister was late her entire life. She had an 8 to 5 job. She usually got there at 8:30. She was a good worker. Her supervisor changed her hours to 8:30 to 5:30. She got there around 9:00.

My sister was late for every date with a guy. I would have to entertain her boyfriend for half an hour to an hour every time. She was almost an hour late for her wedding.

The only time she was on time was for her funeral.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LimaCharlie:
My older sister was late her entire life. She had an 8 to 5 job. She usually got there at 8:30. She was a good worker. Her supervisor changed her hours to 8:30 to 5:30. She got there around 9:00.

My sister was late for every date with a guy. I would have to entertain her boyfriend for half an hour to an hour every time. She was almost an hour late for her wedding.

The only time she was on time was for her funeral.

Then, she's still not that bad. I've heard that there are folks who were such habitual laters than they were late even for their own funerals. And, Satan was pissed.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Yep, my younger brother is the Mr. Late also known as Mr. Unreliable of our family.

For Christmas dinner, one year, he offered to bring the main entree - a spiral-cut ham; well he finally showed up 2 hours late with the ham (bone in)....we ended up just cutting chunks off of the ham and cooking them on higher heat Mad

It's pretty sad, if you met him, you'd think he was kindest, most thoughtful person ever, but family members know better, we're apparently not as important than strangers Roll Eyes

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
I gave up on brothers long ago. Ones a drunk and the other is an idiot.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I always had a "15 minute" rule with people (mostly women) who were late. If they didn't call to inform me they would be late, after 15 minutes I moved on.

Several got pissed at me for not waiting for them.

I had a zero minute wait policy with my grandsons. They lived right around the corner from me so travel time was a non-issue.

If I was going somewhere and one wanted to go with me, I'd set the departure time. At DT +30 seconds, I was gone, grandson or no grandson.

Didn't take 'em long to catch on.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post