SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Cracked tooth. UPDATED with questions in OP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cracked tooth. UPDATED with questions in OP Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
The cracked tooth I mentioned originally was pulled.

Options are:
Do nothing
Bridge
Implant

My teeth are not all they good, but I do have them all still. I have several root canals and crowns already and not a single tooth that doesn't at least have a filling in it... so I'm thinking not the best foundation for a bridge.

Gums and bone in good shape as far as I know.

Dr says can just do nothing, especially if money is an issue, or a bridge.
He didn't even mention an implant... BUT he only does bridges... not implants.

So I'm leaning toward an implant, supposed to be a relatively permanent fix and preserve gum and bone better according to preliminary google.

Would anyone care to share opinions, recommendations or experience?

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cparktd,

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear. I had one two weeks ago and it went straight to the root. Just got it yanked and waiting for bone to grow before implant. Hope you can just get a root canal and crown or better yet cheaper repair.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Cracked teeth suck. I've had 6 in the last 10 years. 5 were replaced with full implants.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16340 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Those suck.

As a grinder/clincher, I've cracked a couple teeth before. Luckily, they just needed crowns.

I have a third one that's bound to crack one of these days. My night guard is helping to limp it along, but isn't a 100% solution. Fingers crossed it doesn't crack on a weekend.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Had it happen on a business trip to one of our field offices.
Peppercorn cracked the outside half off the tooth.

3 days on site before I could get home & to the dentist.
Luckily, no significant pain, was manageable with ibuprofen & avoiding using that tooth.

My dentist was actually shocked I wasn't in pain.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I broke a molar in half on a pistachio shell one day into my two week trip to Israel a few years back. I knew the second it broke off and waited for the pain to come. Thankfully, it was a tooth that I'd had a root canal done on a few months previously so I had no issues with it other than annoyance. In a foreign country and needing emergency dental work was not a position I wanted to be in.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

In a foreign country and needing emergency dental work was not a position I wanted to be in.
I got into a real pissing contest with the owner of a company that I worked for. He wanted me to leave immediately, so he could start billing for my services, for an eighteen month project in Barcelona. I was adamant that I was not going to leave the U.S. until some preventive dental work had been completed, told him that if he wanted to force the issue he could fire my ass and send somebody else (there was nobody else qualified to do the job).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When a tooth cracks or breaks it is very likely to become infected, and that is what brings on the inflammation and pain.

Last time I experienced this I called my dentist's office, explained what had happened. A prescription for antibiotics was called into the pharmacy so I could fight infection for a week before seeing the doc for the fix. That was quite effective for me.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Halfway thru having four removed. Bone grafting was more than the removal. No, I don't have a .Gov dental plan, this ate up our last IRS refund.

No Sugars. It adds to the pain as the bacteria feed and multiply. This is where "prevention" is better. That also includes milk products and high carb foods, as they quickly convert to sugars anyway. This is all day to day info for a diabetic. Of course, even pressuring the tooth adds to the discomfort levels, I've got standalones now which won't tolerate as much as when ganged. This week two more go, and I will likely be down to ravioli, baloney and burger with the front teeth only for the next 6 months healing up. Not to forget how to finance it for implants, Stage 2.

It could be worse, just saying. In the big picture teeth just grind up food, pregrind it, Hamburger Helper is my friend.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Well poo.

Dentist practice still closed down today (a 3 Doctors practice) not even providing answering service.

Not much pain thankfully unless the tooth is touched, just have to be super careful eating. Tylenol is sufficient so far.

Dentist are in short supply around here with most not accepting new patients... or my insurance. Mine current Dr. is 3 months or more out on scheduled appointments.

May be a local issue but it sounds like it might be a good career path for those looking...

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Well double poo!

Earliest available was 4/20.

But got a call in for a canceled appointment today.

Tooth not salvageable. Had to be pulled.

Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Better to get it done now than to put it off and end up with multiples.

My rear molars were unsalvageable due to failing fillings from when I was a kid, so I just had three pulled and 1 with a bone graft for future implant. Not my smartest move to get both sides done at the same time, but saved me a lot of money getting them done together.

I was complaining to my wife about the recovery being worse than my wisdom teeth, and she shut me up with the "Well, You aren't exactly 17 anymore!"

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post