SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Audible Premium Plus
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Audible Premium Plus Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
I've got some road-trips planned and decided to try Audible Premium Plus. It costs $15/month.

Unless I'm doing it wrong, it sucks. In addition to one free purchase credit, you get unlimited streaming of audiobooks from their library. But, as far I can tell, you can only stream titles from a subset of the full Audible library (the "Premium Plus" library).

But, the Premium Plus library appears to contain just a fraction of the titles that are available in the full library. So far, I've looked up more than 20 books, but have found only 2 that are in the Premium Plus library and available for streaming.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6414 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep.

Still worth it though. Look at some of the bigger and more popular audiobooks.

On their own, they'd be $30-$40 per book. Especially ones that are hundreds of hours long. Like the Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones series.

But you can get them for just $15 with your monthly credit. So that's effectively 50+ percent off.

If you need more than 1 book per month, you can buy them outright, buy additional credits to use on them, and/or fill in between with the free books or other free stuff like podcasts.

Or, if even $15 is too steep for you, check with your local library. A lot of libraries have audiobook programs, where you can download audiobooks for free.

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
if even $15 is too steep for you, check with your local library. A lot of libraries have audiobook programs, where you can download audiobooks for free.

This.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
The problem I'm having is that I'm not finding anything I'm interested in in the Audible Plus library.

I did have the Hoopla app, which is tied to my library and lets you borrow audiobooks. But, the app is buggy; it keeps logging me out, and when I log back in, it doesn't "remember" my place in the book. I have spend time relocating my place, then the next time I get in the car, I've been logged out of the app again. Mad

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6414 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
The problem I'm having is that I'm not finding anything I'm interested in in the Audible Plus library.

I did have the Hoopla app, which is tied to my library and lets you borrow audiobooks. But, the app is buggy; it keeps logging me out, and when I log back in, it doesn't "remember" my place in the book. I have spend time relocating my place, then the next time I get in the car, I've been logged out of the app again. Mad

Each time you finish reading, place a 'bookmark' (top right corner), then even if it does log you out, you can return directly to the place you finished up at.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

I get that.

But the Audible Plus titles are just the "filler".

The point of an Audible subscription isn't to get all the books you want for free via Plus. It's to get a monthly credit, to be able to get the books you want at a discount via your monthly credits.

You'll need to use your monthly included credit, additional purchased credit(s), or additional money, in order to obtain most of the books you want.

If you want books for free, get them through your library. But if even then, there's not going to be 100% of the titles you want available, so you'd still be well served by having an Audible subscription for 1 or more other titles per month.

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Another plug for your local library, especially if you can get a card with a major library system.

I do audio books a little differently - I download them as MP3, then combine them to one big file instead of a dozen or so smaller files (I use MP3 to iPod Audio Book Converter for that.). That file gets loaded to my phone and I listen to it with an audio book app there (I use Bookmobile, but Apple has a native one too).

I use Overdrive for Windows version 3.6.0.0 to download. It can be hard to find, it's gone "officially" as the makers are migrating to the newer Libby app (which does not download). Ping me if you decide to go this route and you can't find it. More info here:

www.reddit.com/r/audiobooks/co...ve_installer_for_pc/

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I had a different expectation of the Audible plan. Based on their description, I thought Audible Premium Plus was like an audiobook version of Netflix.