SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I lost a key ring. Who's playing with AirTags?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I lost a key ring. Who's playing with AirTags? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Look at getting an apple tag for it..

https://www.apple.com/airtag/
I bought a four-pack of air tags. Lost one before I activated it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Y'know, this ring has my work keys on it. Maybe work gets to purchase me an AirTag! Big Grin

(Or maybe I should just keep better track of my stuff....)

It's just part getting older.

Get use to it!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I lost one of my watches back in 2020. It was my TAG Aquaracer automatic.

I was very sick from getting the Shingrix vaccine and thought I had left it at the doctors office.

Nope, they said they didn't have it, I tore my car apart and it wasn't in mine or Tabitha's.

Wasn't in my bed or the watchbox. (Yeah, I was REALLY sick)

I had written the watch off as someone must have found it at the doctors office or parking lot as I was leaving from trying to get help and all he did was give me dilaudid.

Six months later, Tabitha is taking the cushions off the sofa and there it was, jammed right under the back of the sofa where I had initially had the beginning of the symptoms as I started removing everything off me as I was in excruciating pain.

I must have just let it fall and as I writhed around on the sofa, I managed to grind it into the back cushion.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Well, friends and neighbors, I bought an AirTag today. I've been playing with it a little this evening, and it's danged fascinating how accurate this thing is!

I'm looking forward to dropping it in various places in the building at work tomorrow and seeing what happens. This is going to be a fun little 30-buck toy, if nothing else.

Side note: sure wish we'd had this technology available for a project I worked on about 6-8 years ago. Wow.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Let us know how it works out for you. I've been thinking of getting a few.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Happened to us on our last TV. Lost the TV remote. No clue. Looked EVERYwhere. Only explanation was that our son who was 5 at the time ran off with it. Hid it to never be found or threw it away one day.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got bad news for you, that key ring isn't lost you simply forgot where you left it. The bad news part of this is that it will happen more frequently as you age.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Somehow, somewhere, I lost my keys to my wife's car. The other key on the ring was my housekey.

Can't seem to find it anywhere...

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Now that my keys are back where they belong, I'll drift this thread a little and mention that I did get to play with the AirTag a little over the past few days. Setup is easy-breezy, and takes just a minute. No big thing there.

Monday, I handed the thing to one of my technicians and asked him to carry it around for the day.
While he was in the building, I could see fairly closely where he was. That was just about fascinating on its own. I could tell when he was in the warehouse, the parking lot, or his own office.

When he went out at lunchtime, though, the fun really started! He sent me a pic of his Apple watch, alerting him that an AirTag had been found with him. Then he sent me a screen shot from his phone, giving roughly the same message along with a "security warning." As I looked at my own phone, it told me that my AirTag was at a given address -- an address I know is my tech's residence.

We talked for a bit when he got back to work, and he showed me his phone. I don't know what app was active, but whatever it was showed him a map of his route from work to his house to the hardware store and back to work. Interestingly, the trip back was illustrated WAY more directly than his actual route -- it was more like an "as the crow flies" path than a by-the-roads path. I'm not sure why that came up that way, though I have a guess that it has something to do with how few other iPhones he encountered along his path back. (His trip through the hardware store was surprisingly well detailed, though!)

It's a fascinating gadget, and I'm looking forward to finding out what else we'll learn from it.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I was still working , I lost a set of keys and TWO pocketknives . I think all of them were found and kept .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I bought an AirTag based on this thread and am planning on putting it in my one checked bag when I fly.

Tested it out a few times by leaving it certain places and then "finding" it.

Looked in on it from around 15 miles away and Siri said it was at the address where I left it the last time it was seen.

Siri was right, so in my checked bag it goes.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
The more I tinker with this AirTag, the more interesting it becomes.

I'm thinking now on what sort of carriers I can make (rather than buy) for it -- leather, kydex, etc. Cool

God bless America.

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I bought a 4 pack of AirTags last year. I have one in my car, one on a master set of keys to my world, and one on each ebike. Last week we flew to Tucson. The trip consisted of a segment from Kalispell to SLC, then SLC to LAX (the day before Superbowl) and finally LAX to Tucson. What could go wrong - right? Well I could track our luggage at each airport and pretty much verify it went into the belly of the plane. LAX was questionable however. When we landed in Tucson, I could clearly see our bags were at LAX. Apparently the highly qualified ground crew only loaded 6 bags on the plane before the conveyer broke. Even though our flight was delayed 2 hours and we had to board, unboard and reboard, the ground crew couldn't get our luggage on board. People were not happy in Tucson - it was hard to understand the profanity with their masks tightly encompassing their mouths and noses.

Delta promised the luggage on the next flight - tomorrow. Anyway, I could track my luggage onto a plane and then making the trip to Tucson. I then could follow the AirTags in the vehicle that delivered the 2 pieces to the hotel. Pretty cool.

My daughter and her family left Friday to Orlando with AirTags in their bags.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I also bought a 4 pack of Air Tags. One is on my wallet. Then two different ones on each of my vehicle fobs. Then finally one on my house keys. I rarely lose anything as it drives me nuts and that is putting it mildly. I will, however, misplace shit in the house, and the Air Tags solved that. I've also dropped the house keys while doing yard work and again it's an easy locate. I've also my phone at my neighborhood park while working the k9 (later recovered). So when the Air Tags came out well take my money. Could also be used as a chintzy lo-jack device for your vehicle, just hide it well.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
A single key on a ring is trying to do it right. A lot of folks misplace keys, I did, the originals to my 66 Mustang and the housekeys, all because I threw them into a backpack riding a bike home that night.

Oh well.

It's the impromptu expedient quick decision on the spur of the moment that will sucker you in every time.

Since then I've worked as a locksmith/commercial hardware bidder, and in USAR inspecting physical security. For the most part, folks do it all wrong.

Never keep all your keys on one ring. If they are keys to things around the house - gun safe, tool box etc, leave them in a secure location there, with the duplicates in a separate safe location. Same for truck accessories - gas cap, trailer lock - in the truck. If it's stolen they have it all anyway. The spares, again, the dupes back at home.

You have likely now eliminated 85% of the keys on the ring. Having an ID tag on them when found only tells the person who found them exactly where to go unlock things to get in. Not good. Never put a legibly visible address on a key ring. A locator tag no address on it is ok.

I have my truck key, the house key (an unreproducible one not available at a key machine or hardware store) on a connector with the key fob for her car (and those things are now with us as incredibly stupid as they are. They don't need batteries or buttons all over them.)

Now, here is the hard part - and yes, it's getting harder as I get older - you exercise almost prison grade discipline on yourself to put them into the same pocket of the attire you wear every time, and when you get home, you leave them in the same place everytime, without fail. I guarantee you will not lose them anymore. And good luck with that, I still have. I broke the rule.

I also use small D rings, keepers etc and used to use them religiously, hooking the keys to a belt loop or interior of a case or backpack if not my pocket. Same when hunting - no, I do not leave them on the tire. I don't stick a Coke bottle in the spokes, either.

Never give a key to a contractor - first thing they do is go make a duplicate for all the other supervisors on the job. Now you have 3-5 out there and you really did not want to do that. I would change the locks directly after, and I use a difficult to obtain commercial keyway, too. Better to just stay home - and in my case, do the work myself. Retirement has that advantage.

The less keys on you, the better. It's not a symbol of power to have every key possible on a huge ring to gain access to every lock. It's been known to cause serious issues and it's also a really big tell of a poor supervisor - who winds up getting into janitor closets, equipment lockers, closets, etc all because the person responsible isnt trusted. Which is a problem to be fixed, not surreptitiously worked around with the same level of trust. Never be the one person with a key on you that secures major financial instruments, drugs, etc. That needs to be a two person exercise with both required to be present - nuclear grade security. You cover each others backs and it's also mandatory in some cases - pharmacies, etc. Single Keyed Only no duplicate is serious business, yet I have seen administrators try to get around it more than once. Dont be that girl.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post