SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The IRS and income tax returns
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The IRS and income tax returns Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
OK So the option is to send another certified letter. What is the point? I do not see the logic.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
OK So the option is to send another certified letter. What is the point? I do not see the logic.

So far, none of your posts in this thread are in any way constructive.

In addition, you criticize someone who is a professional in the field of doing tax returns and discount his explanation as to how things work, as well as deride his recommendations for resolution and mitigation of possible issues in the future.

If you have real-world, reality-based, logic-driven solutions that are available within the current IRS rules, regulations, and guidelines, then now would be a good time to let us know.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have real-world, reality-based, logic-driven solutions that are available within the current IRS rules, regulations, and guidelines, then now would be a good time to let us know.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Try to keep this civil please. As I stated earlier there is no solution other than to wait on the IRS. My CPA has repeatedly advised against sending certified letters as they are a waste of time. You have something better?

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound like things at the IRS are working too well:

"The IRS destroyed data for an estimated 30 million filers in March 2021, according to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration.
The decision, prompted by a backlog of paper filings, has sparked anger in the tax community.
“It just further damages the IRS’ reputation in the business community and in the public,” said Larry Harris, director of tax services at Parsec Financial."

Maybe make sure you owe them, send your payment and hope that they shred some of your info and never contact you again about that year's filing?

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Try to keep this civil please. As I stated earlier there is no solution other than to wait on the IRS. My CPA has repeatedly advised against sending certified letters as they are a waste of time. You have something better?

My comments were just as civil as your comments so you have no high horse to sit on.

Your response was just what I thought it would be - no in-depth knowledge of the topic and no constructive assistance other than "my cpa told me..."

As for my something better, I'm not the one casting aspersions on others that are trying to help, you are. So the logic says that it's on you to come up with something better, not me.

My recommendation is to listen to forum member SR as he works in the business being discussed. Don't heed his knowledge and advice if you don't want to but, unless you have superior assistance to offer, don't shit on a forum member who's trying to help.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I have been using TurboTax for...decades now. Always filed paper/certified mail (for proof of filing). Same for state filing (Virginia). After filing my 2019 federal return by paper and waiting several months for the refund, I e-filed thru TurboTax for my 2020 and 2021 return. Both refunds came back in about 3 weeks. The Virginia state paper/certified mail tax returns (no free e-filing thru TurboTax) always come back in around a month or so from receipt.

My taxes aren't complicated and never received any of the 'free' covid money from Uncle Sam to muck up the returns.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
our response was just what I thought it would be - no in-depth knowledge of the topic and no constructive assistance other than "my cpa told me..."

As for my something better, I'm not the one casting aspersions on others that are trying to help, you are. So the logic says that it's on you to come up with something better, not me.

My recommendation is to listen to forum member SR as he works in the business being discussed. Don't heed his knowledge and advice if you don't want to but, unless you have superior assistance to offer, don't shit on a forum member who's trying to help.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Resorting to profanity and lecturing contributes nothing. Talking down to someone who disagrees is not considered a relevant argument. You have a thin skin. SR communicated his thoughts and left it at that. You had to jump in as if you are his Big Brother. I have nothing more to say as it is clear that you are easily triggered.

posted Hide Post
The same can be said of you. When it comes to being triggered, take a look in the mirror before you say it of others. That's if you even understand triggered vs. being being made aware that you're out of line and poorly informed.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well I looked up the transaction information in our CC account and went to the post office today hoping they could get me a copy of our lost receipt, or at least the tracking number. They said, "Sorry, can't help you." Again, that's our fault, not really on them...was just hoping they would be able to look it up.

I guess I'll just wait it out and see what happens...and next year figure out this whole E-File thing. Hopefully if I wait long enough it'll eventually show up.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
92fstech -

I've been doing tax preparation during tax season for seven years. My boss is an Enrolled Agent doing taxes for 40 years. In addition, just within the office I work in there are two other Enrolled Agents that work full-time all year long handling any and all issues related to taxes and tax returns.

You may not be aware, but Enrolled Agents have to meet some significant training and testing qualifications in order to earn the title. Also, they have yearly continuing education requirements that need to be met to keep their certification.

Besides the additional knowledge that comes with being an EA, those certified as such are able and authorized to practice before the IRS. This means that while I as a run-of-the-mill tax preparer am authorized to answer IRS letters and some other basic functions as regards helping clients with IRS issues, an EA is authorized to represent their client up to, and including, Tax Court. In fact, my boss and another EA in my office have done such for numerous clients over the years - and with a 90% success rate.

I explain all this because the advice that SR has posted is exactly on point in all respects. I have given the same assistance and advice, based on my training and experience, to clients of mine with your same or similar issues - and these are the same policies and procedures that EAs with their superior knowledge and vastly increased representative powers are limited to as well.

Like SR said, the Tax Practioner Hotline used to be more responsive than the Tax Payer Hotline but that seems to have changed. This issue is moot for you anyway seeing as you did your own tax return as a tax payer and not as a practioner.

In your current situation another option to try is the Taxpayer Advocate Service:
https://www.irs.gov/advocate/local-taxpayer-advocate
Again, it's a service that used to be relatively responsive but still would take a while to get through pre-Covid.

Like SR said, you need to verify that your return has been entered by the IRS. The only way to do that is by getting the transcript, and that means talking to an agent or getting a copy via your online account. Even then it may be at the IRS in a pile waiting to be entered and the agent or your account won't show it so you'll be in limbo until your return is entered and a transcript is generated.

With the way things are, it could be years (worst case) before your IRS transcript is generated. And that's if it isn't lost or misplaced.

Another thing to consider is that IRS agents are people - some like their job, some don't. Some have a wealth of knowledge and experience, some are new to the job. This means that even if you get through to three different IRS agents, you could receive three different answers regarding your situation.

In summary, my recommendations follow SR's:

- call IRS hotline 1-800-829-1040 early (lines are open from 0700-1900) and speak with an agent. You've tried this so you know what to expect. Keep trying if you have the time. If when you get through to someone, in addtion to your other questions, make sure to ask what to do if the IRS hasn't received it by a certain time. They should tell you what that time frame is and what steps to take.

- call the Taxpayer Advocate in your area (see link above). Same as IRS hotline - be prepared for long wait or call cut-off due to volume.

- keep accessing your online IRS account to see any updates as they become available.

- contact your Congress people. I would try the above options first for a while as I imagine the staffer who handles your call/e-mail will want to know what efforts you've made on your own behalf.

- e-file future tax returns. Doing a paper return might be less expensive in the short-term, but in the long run it will cost you in time and anxiety. If you continue to do paper returns, SR's recommendation of sending them Certified Mail - and the reasons for doing so - is spot on. The IRS is now, and has been for years, set up for electronic filing. It's faster, more efficient, and the chances of an e-filed return going astray or lost are far less than a paper return.

Most of the information here isn't anything that hasn't already been stated elsewhere in this thread but I felt I owed you this as an explanation of what I know and my experience so you'll understand the reasons for my position as to my previous posts here in your thread.

Something to be noted is that I did not work as a tax preparer this past season so while that has an effect on my knowledge of tax code changes, the policies and procedures above will in all likelihood remain as they have in years past.

I hope your situation gets resolved sooner than later!

Edit to add:
There are a number of things that can delay or flag a return for additional scrutiny (or even audit). Some of the most common are the various credits like Earned Income Credit, Child Tax Credit, etc.

The IRS has been attempting to mitigate the fraud and abuse of these types of credits and the effort makes an already slow process even slower.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: marksman41,

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like SR said, you need to verify that your return has been entered by the IRS. The only way to do that is by getting the transcript, and that means talking to an agent or getting a copy via your online account. Even then it may be at the IRS in a pile waiting to be entered and the agent or your account won't show it so you'll be in limbo until your return is entered and a transcript is generated.

Thanks for the detailed response. I did attempt the above, and there is no transcript available, so either they haven't gotten to it yet or they never received it (or they received it and lost/destroyed it). And I have no way to determine which it is, because my wife lost the certified mail receipt and the USPS can't reprint it. Our mistake, I'll admit.

Your point about asking how long I should wait before refiling or trying something else is exactly my concern. That's all I really want to know...do I just wait it out or do I need to re-file electronically, and if so how long should I wait and do I need to do anything to prevent fouling things up should they find my original return. Seems like it would be a pretty simple thing for them to answer, if I could actually get through to a human on the phone. There's no guidance on their website, either, which you'd think would be a simple way to handle some of these types of questions without requiring people to call in and tie up the phones. Heck, the website doesn't even admit that there's a delay...it still just says that returns should be processed in 6 weeks.

I actually have had really good experiences with IRS employees the few times I've had to call in in the past...I've always found them to be very helpful and knowledgeable. But that doesn't do me any good if I can't get through to anybody. I grew up dealing with the circular catch-22 burocracy of a post-soviet-era communist country, and this is rapidly beginning to feel exactly like that.

Guess I'll just keep waiting and maybe try calling in once in a while. Maybe even go the congress critter route if I can't get any traction the other way. I'm not about to lose my house or anything, but that money would certainly help out a lot right now.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

Thanks for the detailed response. I did attempt the above, and there is no transcript available, so either they haven't gotten to it yet or they never received it (or they received it and lost/destroyed it). And I have no way to determine which it is, because my wife lost the certified mail receipt and the USPS can't reprint it. Our mistake, I'll admit.

Your point about asking how long I should wait before refiling or trying something else is exactly my concern. That's all I really want to know...do I just wait it out or do I need to re-file electronically, and if so how long should I wait and do I need to do anything to prevent fouling things up should they find my original return. Seems like it would be a pretty simple thing for them to answer, if I could actually get through to a human on the phone. There's no guidance on their website, either, which you'd think would be a simple way to handle some of these types of questions without requiring people to call in and tie up the phones. Heck, the website doesn't even admit that there's a delay...it still just says that returns should be processed in 6 weeks.

I actually have had really good experiences with IRS employees the few times I've had to call in in the past...I've always found them to be very helpful and knowledgeable. But that doesn't do me any good if I can't get through to anybody. I grew up dealing with the circular catch-22 burocracy of a post-soviet-era communist country, and this is rapidly beginning to feel exactly like that.

Guess I'll just keep waiting and maybe try calling in once in a while. Maybe even go the congress critter route if I can't get any traction the other way. I'm not about to lose my house or anything, but that money would certainly help out a lot right now.

See IRS.GOV https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Types of transcripts available: The "Tax Account Transcript" will indicate whether "No return Filed" or show the date they received it.

Tax Return Transcript - shows most line items from your original Form 1040-series tax return as filed, along with any forms and schedules. It doesn't show changes made after you filed your original return. This transcript is available for the current and three prior tax years. A tax return transcript usually meets the needs of lending institutions offering mortgages and student loans. Note: The secondary spouse on a joint return can use Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T to request this transcript type. When using Get Transcript by Mail or calling 800-908-9946, the primary taxpayer on the return must make the request.

Tax Account Transcript - shows basic data such as filing status, taxable income, and payment types. It also shows changes made after you filed your original return. This transcript is available for the current and nine prior tax years through Get Transcript Online, and the current and three prior tax years through Get Transcript by Mail or by calling 800-908-9946. These years and older tax years can be obtained by submitting Form 4506-T. Note: If you made estimated tax payments and/or applied an overpayment from a prior year return, you can request this transcript type a few weeks after the beginning of the calendar year to confirm your payments prior to filing your tax return.

Record of Account Transcript - combines the tax return and tax account transcripts above into one complete transcript. This transcript is available for the current and three prior tax years using Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T.

Wage and Income Transcript - shows data from information returns we receive such as Forms W-2, 1098, 1099, and 5498 . If you see a message of “No Record of return filed” for the current tax year, it means information has not populated to the transcript yet. Check back in late May. Current tax year information may not be complete until July. This transcript is available for the current and nine prior tax years using Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yup, logged into my account and went to the transcripts page. Just says N/A for 2021. So either they haven't received it, or it's sitting in a pile somewhere waiting to get processed.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Just paid an exorbitant amount of money for accountant tonight and got an $9k tax bill all while being crushed in the market. Best part is between large house expenses and other bad circumstances it's especially painful.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The TIGTA released an interim report on the filing season. This an overview of what is happening now at the IRS. Look for 2022-40-035. This is not tax advice.

https://www.treasury.gov/tigta...itreports_fy22.shtml

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
<snip>
My recommendation is to listen to forum member SR as he works in the business being discussed. <snip>

I agree. IMO member SR does offer good advice on this matter.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
<snip>
My recommendation is to listen to forum member SR as he works in the business being discussed. <snip>

I agree. IMO member SR does offer good advice on this matter.

Yep his advice is pretty much what I'm planning to do at this point. Thanks to SR and others in this thread who have responded and shared their expertise. While it looks like I'm in for a long wait, at least I know what to expect, and that I'm not alone.

posted Hide Post
Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
about 8 years ago a coworker of mine suggested a CPA that does taxes for a LOT of the local fellows in my profession in the area.

She knows EXACTLY what to put down. I have to walk into her office (and with my wife owning her own small business, she does that part of it as well) hand her the forms/info and we walk out 45 mins later. I pay her about 150 bucks and we get a direct deposit from the IRS and the state within 2 weeks for any refund we are owed.

I'll GLADLY pay the 150 or so to her to make the process that smooth.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post