SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Illinios - Specifically, their toll roads
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illinios - Specifically, their toll roads Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:
Originally posted by MMSIG229:
Live in Ohio but have a cottage in Lake Geneva WI. Been doing the trip for over 60 years every summer. Tried the Chicago by pass for years, stopping every 15 minutes throwing the change in the baskets. Then started doing the Skyway through downtown. I remember when the by pass was two lanes in each direction, now I thing it's up to 4 or 6??? Doesn't really matter, 1/2 of them are under constant construction anyway. The trip is no fun, and the rest areas on the Indiana Turnpike are something out of a third world country.

I go to eastern Indiana twice a year. Get the IPass and take 80/294 to 294 when you go to LG. Much more pleasant drive with no stopping (except in Indiana) and you are not endangering yourself or your passengers as you are when you take the Skyway.

I've done it every which way, they all stink!!! At least using the Skyway I shave about 40 miles off the trip. In the olden days mom and dad used Route 20 all the way, this was before the turnpikes.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Break down on that Skyway though and you could be in a world of shit.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
It's a state that can't afford to pay their lottery winners. What would you expect?

Hell, it used to be not all that uncommon that they would set up in Kentucky at the cigarette shops across the state line and watch people loading their car with cartons of cigarettes. Then when they crossed back into Illinois, they would stop them, seize the cigarettes, and charge them for attempting to get around the state cigarette tax. And I don't mean dealers coming across and buying cartons, I mean users coming across the line and buying them.

Good lord.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8673 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Break down on that Skyway though and you could be in a world of shit.

I got pulled over for speeding on the Skyway about 20 years ago. It was odd that it was a Chicago cop, as opposed to an IL State Trooper given it's an interstate. The CPD officer got on his PA and told me to get out of the car and come to him. I suppose I was less of a target than he was for the fine citizens in the adjacent neighborhood, but I didn't appreciate that too much.

Posts: 917 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
It's a state that can't afford to pay their lottery winners. What would you expect?

Hell, it used to be not all that uncommon that they would set up in Kentucky at the cigarette shops across the state line and watch people loading their car with cartons of cigarettes. Then when they crossed back into Illinois, they would stop them, seize the cigarettes, and charge them for attempting to get around the state cigarette tax. And I don't mean dealers coming across and buying cartons, I mean users coming across the line and buying them.

They would do the exact same thing with fireworks in Indiana. They used unmarked cars and would follow anybody with IL plates to the state line, then pull them over.

Posts: 917 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
My favorite memory about traffic snarl on the Illinois Tollway was in the 90s the IL State Police would park a squad car with a mannequin dressed in uniform sitting in the driver's seat. The car was usually partially hidden by an overpass. They had to quit doing it when it caused too many accidents from drivers jamming on the brakes.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Just flew into Chicago and drove to Michigan. I made sure to get the option for unlimited tolls for $10.99 on the rental car.

Good decision.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Drove through Illinois last year coming back from a vacation in the Rockies. We were pulling a single axle trailer and the tolls ran over $45 for the privilege.

Never again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: smlsig,

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shikemd:

They would do the exact same thing with fireworks in Indiana. They used unmarked cars and would follow anybody with IL plates to the state line, then pull them over.

I have a “friend” who drives up into Wisc to buy fireworks. He drives up on the state highway, makes his purchase, then, instead of turning around, continues on into Wisc. After a few miles, he gets off the highway and drives parallel to the state line on a little used farm road. Then he drops back down into Illinois and heads home. Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6400 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post