SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    safety issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

safety issue Login/Join 
posted
just got new p365 and the safety lever is frozen on can dry fire it but cant get lever downwhat nowdo use block of wood and hammer

Question:
how to free it up

Choices:
return to factory
block of wood and hammer

Posts: 2 | Registered: April 15, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Are you saying the safety lever is stuck in the up position, as shown below, and yet you can still fire the P365? If so, then definitely return it to the factory... The gun should not fire when the safety is engaged (in the up position). And obviously, the safety lever should operate smoothly.

On/Up:

Off/Down:

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If I understand it correctly, an issue like that definitely warrants returning to the factory.

Way back when one computer operating system offered up little tips when opening, one that I’ll never forget was, “Problems that go away by themselves can come back by themselves.” Block of wood and hammer might make the problem go away, but I wouldn’t want to be around if it came back.

Added: And yes, look at the photos to ensure you understand how the safety operates.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please remove the FCU from the grip frame and take a photo of the safety detent area...

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You have the best answers thus far.

Please report back as I'm interested in the outcome because I have a P365xl with a safety. Mine works as it's supposed to but I want to know if I should be aware of anything going forward.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Please remove the FCU from the grip frame and take a photo of the safety detent area...

With all due respect, if someone saying his safety still allows him to dry fire and asking if he should use a wooden block and hammer to free it up, shouldn't be advised to remove the FCU out of the grip frame.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
With all due respect, if someone saying his safety still allows him to dry fire and asking if he should use a wooden block and hammer to free it up, shouldn't be advised to remove the FCU out of the grip frame.

Yeah... Unlike the P320, the P365 isn't intended to have its FCU removed as a normal course of casual maintenance/operation. Hence why it requires driving out a pin, so doing so requires just a bit of additional mechanical/smithing knowhow.

I suspect there's either something very wrong with the OP's P365, or he's just confused with the safety positions, thinks the "down/off" position is the "up/on" position (hence it being able to be fired from this position), and has been trying to force it into a non-existent "further down/even more off" position.

Either way, removing the FCU is not going to improve his situation. With the former scenario of a broken gun that can fire with the safety engaged and the safety lever cannot be disengaged, it needs to go back to Sig immediately for repair. With the latter scenario of a confused new owner, removing the FCU is likely out of skill range and won't be of any help anyway, so hopefully the photos I posted to demonstrate the two positions will be all that's needed to clear things up.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
If it fires (dry or not) with the safety on and the lever won't move, something's broken internally and it needs to go back to the factory. Even if the OP is confused and he actually has it in the off position so it will fire, if the lever won't move it still needs to go back to the factory.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been awhile since we heard from our new member. Hope he has not plinked himself hammering on his 365!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's not uncommon for us to get drive-by questions like that.

Someone has a question about a Sig. They register here to ask their question. Their question gets answered. They read the answer, then don't post anything else ever again, on that topic or any other.

Sometimes it's also affected by embarrassment. If someone realizes they've been trying to do something the wrong way, they're not likely to pop back in just to say to a bunch of internet strangers: "You guys are right, I was doing it totally wrong..."

posted Hide Post
His moniker is OLD GEEZER. Perhaps he forgot.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the sig is off and running son took it home tocheck it out. he put oil around safty lever and moved lever up about 3 hairs.this is why it would dry fire the safty was not all the way up and on he worked lever up and down it is still alittle tight need both thumbs to push it or up but getting better I am sure it lossen up in time

thanks to all for hrlp og

Posts: 2 | Registered: April 15, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post