SIGforum
Canadian wildfire smoke in the Midwest.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/4120090205

July 16, 2023, 05:24 PM
357fuzz
Canadian wildfire smoke in the Midwest.
Man this sucks. Sinuses plugged, eyes burning and itching, at times a dull headache. I just hope they get this under control soon.

I heard some beetle infestation killed off massive amounts of trees and w/ a heat wave and drought up there it is a perfect storm for fires. Makes me wonder if preventative controlled burns would have kept a lot of this from happening.
July 16, 2023, 05:54 PM
bryan11
It's bad in Iowa these past couple days. Last time the haze smelled like burning plastic everywhere and many people got sick. This time doesn't have the plastic smell at least.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bryan11,
July 16, 2023, 06:27 PM
92fstech
I'm pretty sure their entire country is on fire based on how much smoke we had in northern Indiana last month. Thankfully it finally drifted off somewhere else, but it is definitely not fun to have around, especially as a person who runs outdoors every day. At one point they said being outside in it was the equivalent of smoking 2.5 cigarettes a day Frown.
July 16, 2023, 06:59 PM
357fuzz
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I'm pretty sure their entire country is on fire based on how much smoke we had in northern Indiana last month. Thankfully it finally drifted off somewhere else, but it is definitely not fun to have around, especially as a person who runs outdoors every day. At one point they said being outside in it was the equivalent of smoking 2.5 cigarettes a day Frown.

Well it moved in here from the Dakotas yesterday. So, you guys in Indiana are going to get it again soon….
July 16, 2023, 08:28 PM
bendable
Looks like a grade A Florida orange tonight

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
July 16, 2023, 11:27 PM
YooperSigs
Its been bad in the Yoop for about a month now. I have noticed that I have way less birds this summer then normal and I wonder if the constant smoke has driven them away.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
July 17, 2023, 03:39 AM
sgalczyn
I got tired of waiting for the smoke to come here----lucky me gets to fly to Edmonton for the week today!
Let you all know what I see - or don't see as it were.

"No matter where you go - there you are"
July 17, 2023, 07:20 AM
ptruck
We just came off an air quality alert this morning. I was only outside a few times this weekend, and my eyes still feel like they're full of grit.
July 17, 2023, 11:14 AM
Leemur
Walked out to my truck for lunch, sky is hazy as hell. Checked, yep, Canada is still on fire. Getting tired of this shit.
July 17, 2023, 11:51 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by ptruck:

my eyes still feel like they're full of grit.
Systane eye drops might help. My wife and I use them when needed.

https://systane.myalcon.com/products/

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
July 17, 2023, 06:40 PM
357fuzz
Well. I can actually see the sky and clouds. So maybe it’s moving out… for now I guess. Like our friend in WI said eyes are still gritty.
July 17, 2023, 06:46 PM
parabellum
This should wake up the Canadian government to the deficiencies in their forestry management services. If this doesn't do it, then nothing will.

Also, this type of thing shouldn't be a problem again for quite a few years, what with the amount of wilderness that's burned.
July 17, 2023, 08:49 PM
357fuzz
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This should wake up the Canadian government to the deficiencies in their forestry management services. If this doesn't do it, then nothing will.

Also, this type of thing shouldn't be a problem again for quite a few years, what with the amount of wilderness that's burned.

Man I hope so. I feel bad for people w/ serious breathing issues.
July 18, 2023, 06:26 AM
sourdough44
If it were reversed, what would Canada or Mexico want from the USA?

These other countries can have events cause us harm(financial or otherwise) & we just live with it. It seems when reversed, they look for some $$.

Even with any reparations talk, no one is going after African countries to participate.
July 18, 2023, 11:31 AM
92fstech
We drove home from northern lower-peninsula Michigan yesterday, and don't see any smoke up there. I didn't notice any on my run this morning in northern Indiana, either. But we just drove out to central Ohio to pick our kids up from my parent's house, and on the way here it was definitely visible...almost like a faint fog.
July 18, 2023, 02:26 PM
oldbill123
Any guess on how long it can burn ? I am thinking a couple years
July 18, 2023, 09:23 PM
chongosuerte
It’s pretty bad all the way down here at the NC/SC border. Crazy that we can see the effects this far as bad as we see them.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones
July 19, 2023, 04:14 PM
parabellum
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
Any guess on how long it can burn ? I am thinking a couple years
You expect this to burn through a Canadian winter?
July 19, 2023, 04:29 PM
Ronin1069
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
It’s pretty bad all the way down here at the NC/SC border. Crazy that we can see the effects this far as bad as we see them.

I keep thinking about that when I starting thinking about the Yosemite Volcano and what would happened if it erupted.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
July 20, 2023, 12:19 PM
oldbill123
I really do not know