SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Canadian wildfire smoke in the Midwest.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canadian wildfire smoke in the Midwest. Login/Join 
posted
Man this sucks. Sinuses plugged, eyes burning and itching, at times a dull headache. I just hope they get this under control soon.

I heard some beetle infestation killed off massive amounts of trees and w/ a heat wave and drought up there it is a perfect storm for fires. Makes me wonder if preventative controlled burns would have kept a lot of this from happening.

Posts: 4062 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's bad in Iowa these past couple days. Last time the haze smelled like burning plastic everywhere and many people got sick. This time doesn't have the plastic smell at least.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bryan11,

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure their entire country is on fire based on how much smoke we had in northern Indiana last month. Thankfully it finally drifted off somewhere else, but it is definitely not fun to have around, especially as a person who runs outdoors every day. At one point they said being outside in it was the equivalent of smoking 2.5 cigarettes a day Frown.

Posts: 8577 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I'm pretty sure their entire country is on fire based on how much smoke we had in northern Indiana last month. Thankfully it finally drifted off somewhere else, but it is definitely not fun to have around, especially as a person who runs outdoors every day. At one point they said being outside in it was the equivalent of smoking 2.5 cigarettes a day Frown.

Well it moved in here from the Dakotas yesterday. So, you guys in Indiana are going to get it again soon….

posted Hide Post
Looks like a grade A Florida orange tonight

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its been bad in the Yoop for about a month now. I have noticed that I have way less birds this summer then normal and I wonder if the constant smoke has driven them away.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I got tired of waiting for the smoke to come here----lucky me gets to fly to Edmonton for the week today!
Let you all know what I see - or don't see as it were.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
We just came off an air quality alert this morning. I was only outside a few times this weekend, and my eyes still feel like they're full of grit.

Posts: 2222 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Walked out to my truck for lunch, sky is hazy as hell. Checked, yep, Canada is still on fire. Getting tired of this shit.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptruck:

my eyes still feel like they're full of grit.
Systane eye drops might help. My wife and I use them when needed.

https://systane.myalcon.com/products/

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30686 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well. I can actually see the sky and clouds. So maybe it’s moving out… for now I guess. Like our friend in WI said eyes are still gritty.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This should wake up the Canadian government to the deficiencies in their forestry management services. If this doesn't do it, then nothing will.

Also, this type of thing shouldn't be a problem again for quite a few years, what with the amount of wilderness that's burned.

Posts: 107618 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This should wake up the Canadian government to the deficiencies in their forestry management services. If this doesn't do it, then nothing will.

Also, this type of thing shouldn't be a problem again for quite a few years, what with the amount of wilderness that's burned.

Man I hope so. I feel bad for people w/ serious breathing issues.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If it were reversed, what would Canada or Mexico want from the USA?

These other countries can have events cause us harm(financial or otherwise) & we just live with it. It seems when reversed, they look for some $$.

Even with any reparations talk, no one is going after African countries to participate.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We drove home from northern lower-peninsula Michigan yesterday, and don't see any smoke up there. I didn't notice any on my run this morning in northern Indiana, either. But we just drove out to central Ohio to pick our kids up from my parent's house, and on the way here it was definitely visible...almost like a faint fog.

Posts: 8577 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any guess on how long it can burn ? I am thinking a couple years

Posts: 1404 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
It’s pretty bad all the way down here at the NC/SC border. Crazy that we can see the effects this far as bad as we see them.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
Any guess on how long it can burn ? I am thinking a couple years
You expect this to burn through a Canadian winter?

Posts: 107618 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
It’s pretty bad all the way down here at the NC/SC border. Crazy that we can see the effects this far as bad as we see them.

I keep thinking about that when I starting thinking about the Yosemite Volcano and what would happened if it erupted.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really do not know

Posts: 1404 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post