SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tailgating me won't make me drive faster...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tailgating me won't make me drive faster... Login/Join 
posted
Why do people assume that closing the distance on my rear bumper will in some way motivate me to drive faster? I feel if I can read the county number on your plates, or can't see your plates at all, you are probably too fucking close for your or my safety. Asshat...

My car is underpowered and gets lousy mileage. I therefore do not try to leave from a stop like I'm at National Trails or drive in excess of the posted limit. I'm sorry if this offends you, but that does not give you free reign to camp 5 feet from my bumper.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2733 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Same here (almost).

Why do people assume that closing the distance on my rear bumper will in some way motivate me to drive faster? I feel if I can read the county number on your plates, or can't see your plates at all, you are probably too fucking close for your or my safety. Asshat...

My car is underpowered truck has 500+ cubic inches and gets lousy mileage. I therefore do not try to leave from a stop like I'm at the NHRA Nationals or drive in excess of the posted limit. I'm sorry if this offends you, but that does not give you free reign to camp 5 feet from my bumper. If I wanted a trailer, I'd buy one!

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
City streets I will slow down in they do it. I’m not going faster and risk running over someone because you are in a hurry. On the highway, in the fast lane, I get over and let the faster traffic by. Slower lanes on the highway, F U, go around. Driving courtesy has gone out the window.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
As long as you aren't a left lane Sally, go as slow as you like. I'll pass when / if I can.

If you are a left lane Sally on a 4-lane highway, I'll pass you on the right without hesitation. Because you are fucking it up.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Yup. No matter how closely you tailgate me, the speed limit is not going to change.

I'll stay in the right lane, I won't be a traffic nazi, but I'm going to drive at the speed limit and no faster. I don't need a ticket.

When I was a yute I drove fast. I got a lot of tickets. Don't need that shit no more.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily taking either side here, but the way I see it, if he's that close to your ass he clearly wants to go faster than you are. Why not simply ease over and let him by? It would seem more friendly and prudent than pissing the guy off even more.

Posts: 20074 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MT357Magnum
posted Hide Post
Back in the day when I use to drive Roll-Off trucks idiots would tailgate me constantly They don't understand a 80,000 plus Mack truck takes time to get up to speed & the truck is governed to only go a certain mph,

The way I solved that problem was when leaving the landfill if idiots started tailgating me I'd simply drop my tag axle & fling about 10 pounds of mud allover their car & they backed off in a hurry.. lol

Posts: 2601 | Location: Mich | Registered: September 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I can't go any faster than the traffic in front of me. I do the speed limit and 90% of the time I use the outside #2 lane to avoid the left turn drivers so the 'slow' lane moves along faster. I can't "move over" on two lanes.

I find that the drivers who tailgate the most are young women drivers in their widget cars. They're always in a big hurry (BFH) to get to the next red signal.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Tangential to that is the rolling roadblocks I had this morning. 15mph under the limit for a couple miles.
Manage to get over & take my exit & both sped up Confused

And no, I wasn't tailgating Big Grin

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
In days past my standard reaction to anyone on my ass was a hard brake. woke up quite afew people. Now that I'm old and responsible, I just pull over and let them go on being an ass.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Fuck 'em. I'll get over if I can. Otherwise they get a brake tap, if that doesn't work they get the finger. I'm too old to for assholes to dictate how I drive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
When I was a yute I drove fast. I got a lot of tickets. Don't need that shit no more.

/Raises hand.

Yup. Nobody is going to force me to speed. Pass me and get on with your life.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why not simply ease over and let him by?

Not always possible, for example on a two-lane road with no shoulders, cliff on one side and steep embankment on the other. Much of my route to work is on this kind of road. Let them pass over the double yellow if they're in that big of a hurry ... which has happened. (And I drive the speed limit, up to 9 mph over, not a slowpoke.)

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
Why do all the slow drivers think they are pissing off other drivers by driving slow?

The gal "tailgating" you wasn't pissed off until you got pissed off and slowed down. Only then might she start getting pissy.

As much as one here might want to be a citizen traffic enforcement agent, you ain't. If she wants to speed, it isn't your job to stop her.

It's your job to keep yourself safe on the road, so move the fuck over and stay safe.

--------------------------

I own a bunch of Sigs with Beavertails...

Posts: 937 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I'll pass when / if I can.

One of the things that I’ve noted in recent years (decades?) is that a large number of drivers are evidently incapable of passing on two lane roads. A long stretch of road I use frequently is two lane and almost inevitably someone who’s driving faster will catch up to me. Despite the fact that there are long sections where it’s possible to see many hundreds of yards ahead and because of the light traffic load there is usually nothing coming, they will sit a couple of car lengths back and not pass. When passing conditions are difficult I’ll do what I can to help people, such as slowing when they start to pass or actually pulling off the road, but when some incompetent cannot pass while being able to see a half mile of clear road ahead, I let them sit there. I’ve counted as many as five or even six times when I could have passed someone driving like me in a 20 mile stretch, but nope: They won’t, or can’t do it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Not necessarily taking either side here, but the way I see it, if he's that close to your ass he clearly wants to go faster than you are. Why not simply ease over and let him by? It would seem more friendly and prudent than pissing the guy off even more.

This is what I normally do but 99.9% of my encounters with these anal dwellers is that they are riding my ass when I'm already going faster than the guys in the right lane and there's traffic two car lengths in front of me so there's nowhere for the asshole to even go once he passes.
They either just want to always be first or are too stupid to know how dangerous their driving is.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If I can, I’ll pull over so aggressive drivers can pass me. If I can’t, they need to get over it.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I usually drive a few miles over the posted speed limit so its not like I'm crawling along.

When I get someone tailgating that close I usually ease of the gas and slow down a little so I have more distance ahead of me and I won't get surprised and have to slam on the brakes.

It may seem like I am being an ass but I'm just being safer to compensate for their ubsafe behavior.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I do my best to stay in the right and not hog the left lane. If there’s only one lane and I admit I usually do 10-13 over the limit, I’m not going any faster. You can pass me when it’s safe to do so. If you tailgate me, I won’t brake check you but I will flick on my rear fog lights which look like brake lights.

I have front and rear dash cams and plenty of spare memory cards in the car to give video to responding officers in case you run into me.

There’s always two handguns and sometimes a rifle in my car so I do my best not to get into traffic altercations. My kids’ safety is always priority one.

One day while on a training day we had to move ranges so we all just got in my car with our gear on, drove the six miles to the other range on back roads and someone kept tailgating me. We’re driving in a strange area in the rain so I’m only doing ten over but asshat keeps tailgating. I have nowhere to go or pull over. Finally something comes up so we pull over into the gas station (might as well refuel) and asshat parks and walks over screaming. When the four of us got out in armor and gear, he ran off.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8010 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
^ Thats awesome, best thing I’ve read in a while! Big Grin