SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tailgating me won't make me drive faster...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tailgating me won't make me drive faster... Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because, you see, doing that, even if you're going over the speed limit, is just plain poor driving. And inconsiderate.

and Illegal in every state.....

Breaking Florida Statute 316.081 by “proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic” in the left lane or staying there when “the driver knows or reasonably should know that he or she is being overtaken in that lane from the rear by a motor vehicle traveling at a higher rate of speed” is a moving violation

So see it doesn't matter if the driver is doing the speed limit, or even over the limit the law is clear. Move over when being overtaken, period.

Fact is people doing this brake checking, slowing down further are inciting road rage, and its a reason laws against those actions exist. Consider what happens if that brake check is done to someone that doesn't give a fuck, who will retaliate, theres always a bigger ahole, then again, you're in front so......

Brake checking is generally covered as reckless driving, brake check someone and cause an accident you are at fault. Cameras for vehicles cost as little as $40, odds are that a brake check may get caught on camera. Being hit from behind and the get out of jail free card is going away thanks to technology.

In WA state a guy brake checked a car, caused an accident and killed a passenger in the following car, didn't matter that the car behind him was tailgating, the brake checker is in jail.

Linkamundo

Tailgating isn't legal either, but neither is blocking traffic on purpose or brake checking, both are wrong, (again and illegal) the funny thing is neither see themselves as the problem they really are... Again technology, cameras in cars, cameras on roads, intersections will allow law enforcement to properly determine who's at fault.

Kinda NFL/NBA replay for cars....

The simple solution is to not get your panties in a wad and just move over if you can, let the speed cameras and LEO's catch the person speeding down the road, it's not our jobs to police the roads.

If you can't move over, don't slow down and brake check people. While it may feel empowering in the end it just makes you the same asshole you think the guy behind you is for tailgating.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't know what you guys are complaining about. I drive in California with its 3 and 4 lane freeways. Even when the traffic is light, we have bozos who will be in the fast lane and drive at the same speed as the cars next to them.

I go out of state on 2 lane freeways (I drove 9,300 miles to Maine and back), people slide over easy enough to the slow lane as I'm coming up behind them doing 90 - 100 mph. Most of the hold ups were lines of trucks playing leap frog and drivers afraid of driving alongside the trucks that they slow down instead of speeding up.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
[D]rivers afraid of driving alongside the trucks that they slow down instead of speeding up.

Another of my pet peeves, and it’s especially common in Colorado with its many hills that slow truck traffic. Passenger vehicles that are travelling 20 or more mph faster than a truck will slow to a crawl when they get to its left rear corner even though their lane is clear. More often than not they’ll just match the truck’s speed for a time until they work up nerve to start to pass and then do so at 5 mph or less as they’re passing. The same syndrome as being afraid to pass on a two-lane road with nothing coming.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
I have my cruise set at 80 in the passing lane; semi's and RV's are ahead in the right lane doing 70. I glance at my rear view and see a sedan approaching at 85-90. OK, I'll slide over and let you lead.

So you drive in the passing lane all the time or just when passing? (getting over on occasion to let others by you)

Yeah, on I-10 mostly I drive in the smooth left (passing) lane with the cruise set 10 over the 70 limit. Too slow for ya? I-10 is two lanes each way and the right lane surface is roughed up by the semi's. I move over BEFORE they get on my tail unless I am passing said semi's. Some pass and go on, but some just slow down when they get beside me. These are the ones I am complaining about.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Not necessarily taking either side here, but the way I see it, if he's that close to your ass he clearly wants to go faster than you are. Why not simply ease over and let him by? It would seem more friendly and prudent than pissing the guy off even more.

If I am already in the right lane, doing speed limit, just where should I ease over to let the idiot pass? On the grassy shoulder?

I have had these assholes tail gate me so close that I cannot see their headlights, or sometimes nothing below their windshields. And, the assholes often seem to be running in convoys.

60-70+ MPH less than 8-10 feet between cars, where speed limit is 55.

I try to run at speed limit in right lane where I can, but find that the 18 wheelers cruising at 35 cause a lot of tie-ups, not to mention frayed tempers. Which lead to stupid actions trying to get past them.

Oh, not to mention the extremely low use of turn signals when changing lanes.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
If we're being honest, we'll realize that we're all tooling along in our little cocoons, oblivious to the machinations of others. Until one of them either rides up on our ass, or we ride up on theirs.

If you're driving slowing than I am, you're an idiot. If you're driving faster, you're a maniac.

Our windows are closed, isolating us from those around us, and therefore we have no idea what others are doing in their own separate cocoons.

Best to just let it go. A wise man I knew many years ago advised me that every day I should let six people off the hook. These days, those six are mostly on the roads...

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not necessarily taking either side here, but the way I see it, if he's that close to your ass he clearly wants to go faster than you are. Why not simply ease over and let him by? It would seem more friendly and prudent than pissing the guy off even more.

My commute is almost evenly split between a 2 lane state route and a similar 4 lane. The idiot in question picked me up just as the 4 lane narrows to 2 and followed me about 5 miles until I turned into my parking area for work. Pulling over is not an option as about 1/3 of the road is heavily barricaded for construction of a new overpass and the rest has about a foot of pavement, a foot of gravel and then the ditch. I was running 55 in a 55 (I don't want to pay any tickets, so maintain as close to legal posted as possible). Said idiot ignored three designated passing areas in the last 3.5 miles with light enough traffic to pass. I would've slowed down & let her go around just to be rid of the bitch...

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
...on I-10 mostly I drive in the smooth left

A pet peeve of mine but I know I-10 and you're right that there are parts where the right lane will almost beat you to death.

quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
If you're driving slowing than I am, you're an idiot. If you're driving faster, you're a maniac.

A good paraphrase of George Carlin Smile

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6731 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when my 74 y.o. neighbor and I head in too the big city for a few errands , I pretty much insist on driving, that day .

she refuses to get the hell over to the right,
Mad

when she "goes" it won't be from natural causes , it will most likely be from someone pitting her or shooting her as they pass on the right.

her last words will be " I was going 5 miles per hour over the limit !"

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
I live off of US41. Where my neighborhood is it is 2 lanes, 1 wach way. About an 1/8th mile south of my neighborhood it becomes 4 lane. Traffic is usually very heavy southbound from 6:00 until around 9:00am. You usually have to take your chances getting out into traffic. Some of my neighbors refuse to accelerate at a reasonable rate. The speed limit is 60mph and drops to 55 where it turns into 4 lanes. Traffic is pretty brisk at about 60-70mph.

When I say you have to take your chances getting out in traffic I'm not talking about being an asshole and pulling out in front of traffic when there isn't room or anything. I just mean that you have to accelerate briskly. The neighbors I mentioned will wait until there is a BIG gap in traffic even when they safely could've turned several times or jump in front of traffic and not accelerate at a reasonable rate. By that I mean it will take them 1/4-1/2 a mile to get up to 55mph. This causes the cars that try to enter the traffic too to almost get rear ended by the faster moving traffic ti slam on their brakes.

Me personally, I do my John Force impersonation. Big Grin

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenderRodriguez:
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
My 4X4 truck came with the towing package, including a heavy duty rear step bumper and a Class 3 hitch, to which I have added a tongue and ball extending about 9" to the rear of the bumper,

I was parallel parking my vehicle and the truck in front of me had that type of setup. It's impossible to see and when pulling forward to center myself in the space, it went through my bumper and created a nice hole. Not cool if you ask me considering his bumper was on the white line and the trailer hitch extended into my space by about 2 feet.

It's ok though. I had my tools with me and I circumcised his truck at the frame. No one will be violated by it again and he'll have to fabricate something if he ever wants to tow anything again.

Good for you!

People who do things like LoboGunLeather does deserve such treatment. When they park, their hitches either stick well into the parking space behind them or way into the aisle, so somebody attempting to park or to maneuver out of a parking spot runs the runs the risk of running into the jerk's hitch sticking out there.

And while they may be visible from a traditional compact car or sedan, they damn sure aren't from another truck or from an SUV.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
What about the folks who zoom up on you while you are in the process of passing a vehicle and start flashing their lights? Where the fuck am I supposed to go? I put on my emergency flashers, continue to pass and move over when it’s safe. Many people have lost the respect and courtesy required to drive SAFELY.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by BenderRodriguez:

I was parallel parking my vehicle and the truck in front of me had that type of setup. It's impossible to see and when pulling forward to center myself in the space, it went through my bumper and created a nice hole. Not cool if you ask me considering his bumper was on the white line and the trailer hitch extended into my space by about 2 feet.

It's ok though. I had my tools with me and I circumcised his truck at the frame. No one will be violated by it again and he'll have to fabricate something if he ever wants to tow anything again.

Good for you!

People who do things like LoboGunLeather does deserve such treatment. When they park, their hitches either stick well into the parking space behind them or way into the aisle, so somebody attempting to park or to maneuver out of a parking spot runs the runs the risk of running into the jerk's hitch sticking out there.

And while they may be visible from a traditional compact car or sedan, they damn sure aren't from another truck or from an SUV.

I guess I see it a different way...

If a car or truck is parked and is taking up a certain amount of space, it is my obligation to determine if I can fit in the remaining space. It isn’t “my” space until my car/truck is “in” it, white lines be damned.

Some vehicles don’t fit in marked spaces, those folks supposed to do what? Take up one spot and a portion of another, letting a small vehicle or motorcycle use the remaining space or clearly take up two spots and no one can use the unused space? Damned if you do either way as there will be some asshole who complains about it.

When I parallel park, I look in the space as I come up to it to determine if I can fit my vehicle in. At this time I also look for hazards like trailer hitches, sleeping homeless people, red curb, etc. If it is clear and sufficient, I park. If not, I keep looking.

I am very capable of looking down the row of cars/trucks as I coast through the parking lot looking for a space. I look for things like trailer hitches sticking out and children running around so I don’t get surprised. Yes, while in my full-size 4x4 SuperCrew Cab truck I can’t see a hitch sticking out or a 2 1/2’ tall human when they are right next to me. That is why I look for those things BEFORE I get that close.

Sorry, the “jerk” here is the person who wasn’t paying attention, hit a parked vehicle and then wants to blame someone else for it. Don’t believe me? Check with your insurance company for who is “at fault” when striking a parked vehicle.

Go ahead though, cut the hitch off to make yourself feel better you passive aggressive little bitch. Don’t be surprised though someone backs their truck up into your dashboard. I mean hey, you thinks it’s ok to vandalize someone else’s property if they do something you disagree with so I am sure you are OK with others doing the same unto you, right?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

Awesome, made me spew coffee

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I'll pass when / if I can.

One of the things that I’ve noted in recent years (decades?) is that a large number of drivers are evidently incapable of passing on two lane roads. A long stretch of road I use frequently is two lane and almost inevitably someone who’s driving faster will catch up to me. Despite the fact that there are long sections where it’s possible to see many hundreds of yards ahead and because of the light traffic load there is usually nothing coming, they will sit a couple of car lengths back and not pass. When passing conditions are difficult I’ll do what I can to help people, such as slowing when they start to pass or actually pulling off the road, but when some incompetent cannot pass while being able to see a half mile of clear road ahead, I let them sit there. I’ve counted as many as five or even six times when I could have passed someone driving like me in a 20 mile stretch, but nope: They won’t, or can’t do it.

I have observed this also. Speed limit on 2 lane, straight road is 55 mph, a car behind me tailgating. I slow to 50 in a Straight stretch....they are still behind me.

Then 2 miles further, they pass me in a much shorter, more dangerous passing zone.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:

Usually "that guy" on your tail is a Ford F150 with the bright lights on. You can't tell who is around you to move over. It doesn't serve him any good as most drivers will slow down until they feel it safe to move rather speed and make a hasty decision just to please the tailgater.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
If I'm going at least the speed limit and there's a lane to my left, or if I'm going faster than the speed limit and passing traffic on my right, fuck you. I'm not moving.

If you're going less than the speed limit or the same speed as the traffic to your right, and there's no lane to your left, speed up or move over.

That should cover most circumstances.

That said, I will try not to impede other people who aren't driving like assholes.

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drive 50k+ miles per year often travelling cross country, so I see a lot of good and bad driving in my travels. Some states have notoriously bad drivers.

My patience has been strained to the limit by the trend of people riding the passing lane on multilane highways, especially when they are going below the posted speed limit and driving erratically because they are TEXTING or talking on the damn phone. I have a 20 mile commute on a posted 75 mph highway and I bet I pass 2 or 3 of these idiots in the morning and another 4 or 5 every evening, They absolutely will not yield the passing lane forcing traffic moving at the speed limit to slalom around them.

Simple rules:
If you are going text or talk, get the hell off the road!
If you are not actively passing, get the hell over. (Just like the signs that are posted every mile instruct you to do.)

Don't even get me started on the 2 lane road incompetence.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post