SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Adblockers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adblockers Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
I need to pick out a couple of good adblockers and install one or both of them. Long story short version. The Mrs. suggested that since we had McAfee we didn't need any other protection software. I should have argued, but didn't and now I am getting swamped with ads.

Any suggestions for a good one or two would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks, guys!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No complaints about the stock adblock built into Brave.
Seems to work 99% of the time.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I use Adblock Plus. Has worked great for me for years and it's free.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
adblock + on pc's + cell phones!!

Posts: 2211 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Ghostery from Ghostery.com. PCs, Macs, iPhones.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great suggestions. Will try adblock+ and see how it works out. I seem to remember that I have used it in the past.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I tried an adblocker in the past, but found that many websites would block me and instead let me know, "this site supported by ads, disable ad blocker to continue"

not sure how often that occurs now.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10900 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I run AdGuard AdBlocker on Firefox ESR and have done so since at least 2017. There are tons of filters to customize all of your filtering needs. I've always been VERY pleased with it. Wink

I also run Brave, which has a built in AdBlocker that works like a champ!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I run Pihole, unbound and pivpn. That way I get network wide adblocking even when I’m out of the house.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Any good adblockers for iPhone's browser?

I'm getting sick of the ads when using my iPhone. I got spoiled with uBlocker on my MacBook.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Ublock Origin and Noscript for me. Haven't watched an ad on YT in years.

ETA, you can get away with a hell of a lot with just uBlock Origin.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Thanks for the great suggestions. Will try adblock+ and see how it works out. I seem to remember that I have used it in the past.

ABP sold out several years ago if I recall, and now some hosts are intentionally allowed through. The folks who disagreed at ABP forked their project into uBlock Origin.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
A second function that uBlock Origin performs is block elements of a webpage. If there are parts of a webpage I don't want to see, such as social media buttons, I can right click on the element and block it so it doesn't load on subsequent visits to the page. That has included ads that otherwise have bypassed the adblocker. You have to be careful though, I've accidentally blocked portions of the page I wanted to see and had to go into the dashboard of the extension and delete the filter I just made.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait until you decide to drop McAfee, what you are seeing now is nothing compared to all the spam emails you'll get after giving McAfee the boot.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post