SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    No UPS in the country will ship firearms--it's federal law!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No UPS in the country will ship firearms--it's federal law! Login/Join 
posted
So says the gal at the local "UPS Store."

I asked them to ship a firearm. They told me they could not. I asked if there was anyplace in town that could (knowing there was a distribution center 1.5 miles away). She told me that no UPS in the country could because it was against federal law. You might even get some good conversation with the clerk.

This woman is the same woman who shipped a rifle for me from the same location a year or two ago. I thought she was referring to UPS policy, but I called the distribution center anyway. I found out that 1) you can ship from the distribution center and 2) they'll pack it for you 3) for a very reasonable price.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
While she's clearly wrong, it's also accurate that no UPS Store will accept them for shipment I believe. Unless their own rules have changed in the past 4 years. Same is true for FedEx stores.

IME, that very reasonable price won't be in the end once they price it at overnight delivery. That's the only way they'll take them as well.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Do you have a friendly FFL who charges reasonable fees? If so, you can have him / her ship it via Priority Mail. This generally costs much less than FedEx or UPS.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only Fedex and UPS hubs will take packages with firearms in them. Handguns have to go next day or air, per their policies not the fed's.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I would still report such an employee handing out incorrect information to management.

She should have informed you of the policy and redirected you to a hub.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I've used a local UPS Store several times. They have never batted an eye about it.

Edit. It's been a while. We'll see about next time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
While she's clearly wrong, it's also accurate that no UPS Store will accept them for shipment I believe. Unless their own rules have changed in the past 4 years. Same is true for FedEx stores.

Correct. Franchise stores like The UPS Store or Fedex/Kinkos cannot ship a firearm. It has to be shipped from a UPS or Fedex hub.

quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
She should have informed you of the policy and redirected you to a hub.

Also correct.

I will note that, in my experience, even UPS/Fedex hub employees can be hit-or-miss when it comes to knowing firearms laws and policies. I've had similar ridiculous conversations with dumb hub employees before, quoting nonexistent laws and adding requirements that they made up on the spot.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
I've used a local UPS Store several times. They have never batted an eye about it.

The speculation here and elsewhere has always been that just because those franchise stores make a mistake doesn't mean we're not still responsible for knowing policy and violating that may affect coverage in event of a claim for lost shipment. For many of us, the convenience isn't worth that risk.

YMMV of course.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

The speculation here and elsewhere has always been that just because those franchise stores make a mistake doesn't mean we're not still responsible for knowing policy and violating that may affect coverage in event of a claim for lost shipment. For many of us, the convenience isn't worth that risk.

YMMV of course.

I just edited my post for clarity.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Franchise stores like The UPS Store or Fedex/Kinkos cannot ship a firearm. It has to be shipped from a UPS or Fedex hub.
Is this an ATF (or other) legal requirement? Or is it just UPS and / or FedEx company policy?

As far as I know, the law requires that handguns that are shipped by a non-FFL must go via a carrier such as UPS or FedEx. Overnight delivery is not required by law, this is UPS and FedEx company policy. I was under the impression that the law does not require shipping from a hub, I thought that this too, was UPS / FedEx company policy.

I shipped a pistol to a gunsmith / FFL holder. His suggestion was that I ship it via FedEx Ground, not overnight. Totally legal, although against FedEx company policy. The gunsmith also suggested characterizing the contents of the package as "machine parts." I packed it up, went online to print a FedEx ground shipping label, and dropped it off at a local store (Kinko's / FedEx). Everything was legal, although against FedEx policy. The only problem that I see with this method is a possible negative outcome if the package is damaged or lost.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I know for a fact that a FedEx owned stores can accept firearms - at least those being shipped with a label from the manufacturer.

Here's the back story- The clerk refused to take the package then got huffy when I asked her to double check the rules. (I was pretty shocked she got so huffy - I asked very polity. Guess she was anti gun and afraid to touch the box.) I asked for the manager and the clerk really got huffy but after asking the 3rd time she called him over and he looked up the rule.... surprise, surprise, it said they can accept the firearm.

Clerk then said it must have been a change made in the last month. I said, nope, been that way for years.

Warning, I don't remember if the rule was specific to the fact that I was using a FedEx label provided by the manufacturer.

If you don't have a friendly FFL that will help you out, you might look into Ship MY GUN. There have been favorable comments on this board about the service. But I'd want to post for current feedback before using.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Franchise stores like The UPS Store or Fedex/Kinkos cannot ship a firearm. It has to be shipped from a UPS or Fedex hub.
Is this an ATF (or other) legal requirement? Or is it just UPS and / or FedEx company policy?

Not a law, but a company policy.

As noted by Georgeair, if you ignore that policy and take it to a store, and the store happens to ignore that policy too and accept the shipment, you'd be SOL regarding any insurance claim if something were to happen to the firearm in transit, due to the policy violations.

quote:
I shipped a pistol to a gunsmith / FFL holder. His suggestion was that I ship it via FedEx Ground, not overnight. Totally legal, although against FedEx company policy. The gunsmith also suggested characterizing the contents of the package as "machine parts." I packed it up, went online to print a FedEx ground shipping label, and dropped it off at a local store (Kinko's / FedEx). Everything was legal, although against FedEx policy. The only problem that I see with this method is a possible negative outcome if the package is damaged or lost.

Yep. Not a crime, but a violation of company policy, so no coverage if something happens in transit.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Only Fedex and UPS hubs will take packages with firearms in them. Handguns have to go next day or air, per their policies not the fed's.

FedEx (but not UPS) does permit 2nd day air. At least that's how I've shipped a couple over the years, and also how all returns from Robert Burke come. Of course that policy may have been changed, as they always seem to do.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I don't know of any UPS Store that would ship a firearm.

You are supposed to use a UPS HUB, as in a "real" UPS location, not these franchised UPS "Stores" which aren't actual UPS.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
not going to wade too deep into the pool above,

as an FFL, I use the UPS hub, I avoid the stores like the plague,

FEDEX is better, as far as kinko help, but horrible in this area as far as drivers,
I have had 0 issues in the fedex stores,

having said that, if I ship with either I create the label and print from home, or shop, and just drop the stuff off,

USPS is my preferred carrier,

I sold some lead bullets, as in just the bullet, online a month or so ago,
got a call from someone at the post office,

she wanted to know if the package has bullets in it, I said yes,
she said she was going to have to return them to me since that was prohibited,

I told her no, it was legal, and not against the post office policy, since it was just the bullet , not the cartidge,

she suggested it would be returned, I countered with fine, return them, but also make me an appt to meet with the post master and let him know that I would like an explanation why my customer would have to wait, and also a full refund for the shipping fees,
she said she would have to contact the postmaster and would be back with me,

fast forward a couple hours, another call, asking again was it was,

I told her she could cut the package open and check if she felt inclined, and that the package was insured so she would be responsible for any missing product or damage,

she then asked if it was a variety of lead chemicals,

nope, just plain ole lead, like yall ship from bullet manufacturers that use USPS flat rate every day,,,

I had to describe to her the difference between a cartridge (not legal thru USPS) and a bullet or projectile,
and again reminded her that it was insured, and that if returned I will meet with the post master,,

she again stated she would let me know,,

customer got the package 3 days later,,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
What do you expect when the federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour, and has not been amended since July 2009?

Instead, raise the federal minimum wage to $15.00 per hour (or higher) and you'll have half the number of idiots working in the store.

They'll still be the same no motivation dullards who can't find their ass with both hands, a flashlight, GPS, a map, and a trail of M&Ms, but because there are fewer of them, your in-store experience will be far less stressful. Unless of course you want to ship something without waiting three days for your "take a number" to be called.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UPS stores are not UPS. UPS stores will not ship a firearm.

UPS accepts firearms for shipments, regularly. UPS will deliver a firearm to a private individual and FFL. All my P320 "upgrades" through Sig, for example; I shipped them UPS, and received them back the at my home, same way.

The UPS store is another matter. It's a private franchised individual store which does not belong to and is not a part of UPS, and their policy is to not ship firearms.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My UPS store wouldn't ship a riflescope, because it was a "gun part".

Came back later and it was a "telescope" and fine to ship.

Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I do not understand the preceding posts about The UPS Store refusing to ship firearms, gun parts, etc.

When I have shipped these things to an FFL, I just prepared the label online at either the UPS website or the FedEx website. Paid for shipping online with a credit card, packaged everything up, and dropped it at either The UPS Store or Kinko's / FedEx, as applicable.

I do not recall any discussion of what was in the package. Never had a problem. Shipment was never refused.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do not recall any discussion of what was in the package. Never had a problem. Shipment was never refused.

You are required by law to notify the shipper you are shipping a firearm. From ATF FAQ, bold added:

"A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]"

Following the law for non-licensees:

- long guns can go through the post office
- long guns and handguns through common or contract carrier
- must notify the carrier you are shipping a firearm
- no middle men such as the UPS Store
- law does not require air shipment

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post