SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    It ain't a proper project unless you fall through the ceiling at least once.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It ain't a proper project unless you fall through the ceiling at least once. Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
I probably need to give up and go get some sleep, but it's a puzzle and I can't seem to let it go.

I'm in the process of upgrading the wifi/LAN here at my parents' house. Bought a bunch of wireless APs and a nice wired router. Not my choice, but they didn't make what I wanted in an all in one package.

I bought a Mikrotik RB5009 (the newer one with POE on all ports) and 2 Mikrotik HAP AC2s. I like Mikrotik because A) they're Latvian and not Chinese, B ) because they're generally really nice enterprise-grade gear, and most importantly C) it's not Cisco (Cisco and I don't see eye-to-eye ever since I spent from 23:30-07:00 at the local Pepsi plant finding and troubleshooting, and testing their network switch that, as it turns out, just needed a hard reboot).

The equipment needed to be changed out; there's a Netgear Nighthawk router whose DNS server shits the bed multiple times a day requiring me to remote in and reset the modem/router by way of an internet-enabled power conditioner (really cool stuff; I found them while researching power conditioners while building my reloading space - I have one powering my 2 Chargemasters because they were $30 apiece on The Bay; normally I despise IoT but it's let me put this fiasco off for 2 months). I can usually get around this by changing to a public DNS on individual devices but it won't work on the router itself. Whatever.

So I'm moving everything to the attic, and due to the layout of the house one of the APs needs to go where there's nothing but rafters and a couple of 2x4's for people to walk on (might be for extra support for a light fixture too). Anyway, Sunday I slipped and found my left leg dangling above the pool table. Managed to catch myself and I've been more sore than usual on my left side this week.

Tonight I was up there and managed to get the last of the cable run, terminated and tested to get the new stuff up and running (everything tested good! what a relief), but now as I'm trying to configure the new router the damned thing wants to fight me tooth and nail. I can't get into the new router's web config page (well, I can, but it times out after I enter the password). I've tried factory resetting it but the changes don't want to take despite me doing it according to the directions.

I've had a nested network here because it's where I keep my servers for the moment, and that is on a Mikrotik RB2011 (where I first tried and learned I liked Mikrotik equipment). To add insult to injury when I try to log in using the stuff I have set up here I end up logging into that router's web config page and not the new one. This ain't frustrating at all.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Well, update. I finally figured out why I couldn't get into the device, and do I ever feel like a dunce. Turns out the procedure I was performing wasn't resetting it, it was telling it to look for a network update/upgrade (Mikrotik calls it "netinstall") server.

The difference between this and the proper procedure for a factory reset? A few seconds. Hold the reset button while applying power "until the light starts flashing" for a factory reset, and "until the light stops flashing" to tell it to look for a netinstall server.

I thinkk this is my sign that I need to back off and get some sleep.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
Anyway, Sunday I slipped and found my left leg dangling above the pool table.

I did the same thing, running cable in the attic. Our walls and attic are insulated with blown in cellulose. Where I stepped through the ceiling was right above the guest bathroom sink, and of course it filled the sink with the cellulose. Before I could get there to clean it up, the wife walks into the bathroom, does not look up to see the hole in the ceiling, just the contents of the sink. She cries out, "Henry, come look what came out of the faucet in the guest BR".

BTW, I like and use Mikrotik. I have been using one of their routers for 20 years (no Wi-fi on it, that is reserved for Engenius APs). The router does routing and DHCP only. Once I figured out their "language", I built a pretty good, but basic, firewall. I use WebFig for basic config, but with Winbox and the CLI, one can much more creative.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Stepped through a lady's ceiling while inspecting here chimney years ago... almost as bad was the contractor had blown in about 2ft of insulation and when I managed to pull my foot out there was an avalanche of the stuff down onto her dining room table.

as for the network problem... not the same but years ago I installed a second hard drive in a computer of mine.. then rebooted and could not find the extra hard rive... first item in trouble shooting: "computer will not recognize new hardrive" that was a good sign.. then the geniuses wrote... for your convince we have installed a driver in the new hard drive which will allow your computer to see it........

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
Anyway, Sunday I slipped and found my left leg dangling above the pool table.

I did the same thing, running cable in the attic. Our walls and attic are insulated with blown in cellulose. Where I stepped through the ceiling was right above the guest bathroom sink, and of course it filled the sink with the cellulose. Before I could get there to clean it up, the wife walks into the bathroom, does not look up to see the hole in the ceiling, just the contents of the sink. She cries out, "Henry, come look what came out of the faucet in the guest BR".

BTW, I like and use Mikrotik. I have been using one of their routers for 20 years (no Wi-fi on it, that is reserved for Engenius APs). The router does routing and DHCP only. Once I figured out their "language", I built a pretty good, but basic, firewall. I use WebFig for basic config, but with Winbox and the CLI, one can much more creative.

Ah, I knew the statistical likelihood of running into another user here was pretty good.

I'm leaning in hard right now because of CAPsMAN. Seamless switching of devices over the entire network? Please and thank you.

Right now the issue isn't just webfig. I couldn't get ANYTHING to work right. As in, zero basic config, it wasn't allowing me to do anything and the way it was acting I had an expensive switch. I was trying to get into webfig so I could do the basic config and hopefully get some simple stuff sorted out before I screwed it into a board in the attic.

I may be in cybersecurity because (in part) I can't physically handle wiring stuff any more (the other part is because I got tired of doing literally all the work at my last job), but I'm an infrastructure guy at heart. I love this stuff.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
When ATT ran the fiber for the new internet to my office, they had a new tech following the lead, new guy stepped off the ladder and right through the floor. Scared the living crap out of him, I think it took 30 minutes for him to gather up himself.

Left a big hole, but they did send a check to repair and it's done.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my son built his house I wired the electrical . One evening I went up into the attic to finish up something and I was the only one there . I tripped and missed the 2x4 joist and went through . It hurt like hell . Thank God I didn't injure myself on a nail or drywall screw because my cellphone was outside on the seat of my truck . Did I mention it hurt like hell ? Eek

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post

I learned that some of my rafters are spliced.
My wife was laughing so hard I am surprised she could keep the camera steady.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Once I got over the shock of the fall it was pretty funny. I've been using it to great effect all week.

"So how's everyone's week going so far?"

Well, I haven't fallen through any more ceilings, so I'd say it's going pretty well.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I have been fortunate to not have that experience and I most likely never will. The HVAC people and alarm people thanked me for leaving 2x12s I had in the attic when I ripped out all the old insulation, ran new electrical circuits, some cat5 and coax in 2010. My attic monkey days are over. When the alarm guy told me it would be $600 to install 8 cameras, some new coax, and some speaker wires, I laughed. He asked if I thought it was too much. I replied he hasn’t been in my attic and I’m $600 sounds fair to me. It took 2 guys 2.5 days.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I fall through while checking the router, I've got problems, because that router's in the basement.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I fell through the master bathroom towards the kitchen. Landed straddling the joist and I hit right between my nuts and butt. Surprisingly it didn’t hurt much. I’m guessing a couple inches one way or the other might have been another story.

Oh and my wife was laughing her ass off at me too.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's one of those things everybody should experience ..once .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
It's one of those things everybody should experience ..once .

Fortunately, I've been lucky and managed to avoid this.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
My projects demand blood sacrifice.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
My projects demand blood sacrifice.

I got off light on this one. Last injury from a project put a permanent indentation in my thumb print about 3 inches long and a temporary divot in my bone.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
BT;DT. Got the t-shirt...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I've been in that part of the attic 4 times since. Nary a problem.

Now, if we can figure out why I'm spitting blood clots out that'd be fantastic...*

(* I know why. I had the anchor for a dental implant put in 3 days before I put my foot through the ceiling. My question is, why is it bleeding NOW?)

I'm inches away from figuring out why the wireless isn't working too. That's what's been stinging.

Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Well, I got the wifi up. Now I just got to put up the sheetrock.

posted Hide Post
I've literally seen stars twice in my life. Once playing football and once when my foot slipped off a rafter and went through the garage ceiling. Fortunately did not fall through and just sat down in an unfortunate way. Ouch. A lot.

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post