SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Handy Mart / Exxon requires scanning your ID to buy beer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handy Mart / Exxon requires scanning your ID to buy beer Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The last time I went into a Honda dealer they wanted to see my ID to buy $20 worth of parts. I walked.

Posts: 958 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:

The last time I went into a Honda dealer they wanted to see my ID to buy $20 worth of parts. I walked.
Credit card ID verification?

On the back of my credit cards, where you're supposed to sign, I print "Check ID" so that if they are lost or stolen, might prevent somebody else from using them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm just naïve, but I highly doubt the gas station is keeping a database of your beer purchases. More likely its just a system to protect them from idiot employees selling beer to underage people so it just checks your age based on the scan and all is well. I guess to me even if they did keep a database of Jim bought beer I really don't care, what could they possibly do with this knowledge?

And 400m if you were using a credit card for the $20 worth of parts I would agree with v-tail, probably to verify its your credit card. I guess if you were paying cash it's kind of silly to need your ID for a $20 part purchase.

Not looking to get bashed, but I don't see any problem needing to show ID especially for regulated items such as beer/tobacco/guns/etc. Doesn't really matter how old you are.

and yes I am very much against databases for things that matter like firearms, but for other things I assume I'm in all the databases at this point unless I've been living under a rock. If Frys wants to keep track of how many times I've purchased chicken noodle soup feel free to do so, but I'm going to continue putting my Frys card number in so I can pay 99 cents for it instead of $3.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe I'm just naïve, but I highly doubt the gas station is keeping a database of your beer purchases. More likely its just a system to protect them from idiot employees selling beer to underage people so it just checks your age based on the scan and all is well.

Everybody walking around with a mobile phone full of apps that tracks every single thing they do, and probably listens to half of it, are concerned that a gas station is tracking their beer purchases. Big Grin

Making a mistake with a liquor license could cost you anywhere from a few thousand dollars in fines, to hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost revenue to a suspension, and perhaps millions due to a revocation. That's all these places are doing is covering their butts in the best way possible.

If keeping my license means I'm losing your $20, then so be it.

I was in the nightclub business a bit over 20 years ago, and we used these in the clubs. We used them to verify age, have a record for the authorities that we verified everybody's age, and to enter notes for those that caused trouble so that the next time we scanned their ID they were denied entry.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m no foil hat wearin conspiracy theorist but it’s an info grab. We no longer have the right to privacy or to remain anonymous.

Posts: 74 | Location: Delco and LBI | Registered: April 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you see a conspiracy in everything , you're going to lead a miserable life .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
Maybe I'm just naïve, but I highly doubt the gas station is keeping a database of your beer purchases. More likely its just a system to protect them from idiot employees selling beer to underage people so it just checks your age based on the scan and all is well.

I guess to me even if they did keep a database of Jim bought beer I really don't care, what could they possibly do with this knowledge?

That's the thing - we cannot know or predict what they will do. Whatever it is, it isn't in our favor. They absolutely are keeping a database, and they are selling it.

Some day you may have your health insurance denied because you bought too much beer and ate too much ramen. The government might tie Social Security to individual life expectancy, and reduce your monthly checks because you bought too much health food! We cannot even imagine how that data will be used in the future.

I had an unpleasant experience with driver license and car insurance due to a database error. Getting it corrected was a hassle. Even bigger though, as an airline pilot, one's driving record is scrutinized forever, and is a key gating item when looking for a job. One speeding ticket was enough to not get hired. Having a license suspended in 2 states is a major obstacle to explain away. All because some data entry clerk was careless in 1987 back before there was even such a thing as the National Driver Registry database.

Posts: 9452 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
when I'm asked for a phone number, I always give 867-5309. Some of you will be too young to get it. Cool
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post