SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Solicitors Who Ignore “No Soliciting” Signs
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solicitors Who Ignore “No Soliciting” Signs Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
I have a very obvious “No Soliciting” sign on my front door and it never ends that people just ignore it. I never answer the door unless it is a person I know so I just ignore them.

Yesterday’s solicitor was a piece of work. My office in the house is at the front next to the front door. I keep my blinds open so I can see what is going on and have a camera system all around my house with a monitor on my desk.

I see the solicitor coming; he is wearing a jacket and hat with the company logo and carrying a clipboard. I was on a work call with the phone on speakerphone since I was recording the call as it was an interview I was conducting for work.

Dude knocks on the door and just stands there for a while. I ignore him and continue my interview and then I hear him yelling, “I see you! You know I can see you right?” I look up and he is still standing on the sidewalk at front door but leaned to the side looking through my window at me. I just flipped him off and continued with my call. What an ass! Like that was going to make me come to the door so he could sell something. I found out he was with a company trying to sell replacing your windows, doors, siding, or roof for energy savings.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'd be pissed and frustrated as you can't leave your call to give the guy a piece of your mind.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found that coming to the door with either a shotgun or your "Johnson" in your hand pretty much deters that stuff!

The sign is there for an obvious reason, if you so choose to ignore the sign, well... game on!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The ones that really piss me off are the ones who, when the No Soliciting sign is brought to their attention, reply with "Oh, but I'm not selling anything, I'm just here to share what a great deal this Pest Control/Solar Panel/Lawn Care/etc. opportunity is!" or some variant.

No, dumbass. You're selling pest control/solar panels/lawn care/etc. That's soliciting.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I've found that coming to the door with either a shotgun or your "Johnson" in your hand pretty much deters that stuff!

The sign is there for an obvious reason, if you so choose to ignore the sign, well... game on!

If I had not been on the call I would have grabbed the shotgun two feet away from me leaning against my desk and yelled I see you too.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The ones that really piss me off are the ones who, when the No Soliciting sign is brought to their attention, reply with "Oh, but I'm not selling anything, I'm just here to share what a great deal this Pest Control/Solar Panel/Lawn Care/etc. opportunity is!" or some variant.

No, dumbass. You're selling pest control/solar panels/lawn care/etc. That's soliciting.

I have had that exact situation as well at times where I chose to open the door to point out the sign. Also had a person come to promote their candidate and I pointed out the sign and they said they are not selling anything. Yes, you are trying to sell me on your candidate.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I just let them stand there, why even bother going near them? After a while they'll get the hint and wander off.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
My smokin hot wife doesn't allow me to answer the door anymore Frown All I did was say no thank you and buh bye to a couple of salesmen

We do have a no soliciting sign at our subdivision entrance

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Maybe look into Secondhand Lions...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I unplugged my doorbell so my dogs don’t bark. The very few people I actually want at my house have the combination to the front door. Other than that you can call me

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
There is a super nasty fart spray can now being used as practical jokes by people. People just almost throw up smelling it. It's horrible.

I wonder if a remote control version could be made, and discretely hidden, to sort of blossom on the front porch when needed. HMMMM

And yes, love Second Hand Lion, great movie!!!

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Gene -- let me know if you figure out how to do that! Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately they are sometimes instructed to actually target residences with a "No Solicitors" sign. This is because sometimes this indicates someone at the residence has weak sales resistance, inducing the need to ward off before it even starts.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Be nice to have a large box of Africanized bees you could remotely open for such miscreants.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've had a "No Solicitors" sign on my door for over 30 years.

In Arizona where I live now, it's pretty much universally respected. I think I've had one guy who probably didn't know what a solicitor was.

In my previous house, however, it was pretty universally ignored.

Even had some Jehova's Witnesses knock on my door. I asked them if they knew how to read and knew what a solicitor was.

They replied that that they were not solicitors, that they were bringing me the good news of God.

I then said okay, you're soliciting for God. You're still solicitors.

They left.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
There is a super nasty fart spray can now being used as practical jokes by people. People just almost throw up smelling it. It's horrible.

I wonder if a remote control version could be made, and discretely hidden, to sort of blossom on the front porch when needed. HMMMM

And yes, love Second Hand Lion, great movie!!!

Oh my god you made me laugh so hard because I could just picture it in my head of seeing the person suddenly looking around like “what the hell is that?” Better yet if the stink clung to them as they went to the next homes.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Also had a person come to promote their candidate and I pointed out the sign and they said they are not selling anything. Yes, you are trying to sell me on your candidate.
Many local laws exempt political, charitable, and religious activities from having to abide by "No Solicitation" signs.

quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Even had some Jehova's Witnesses knock on my door.
We did, too. (Don't have a sign, btw.) About the 2nd or 3rd time they did that, to be met with my being more than willing to take all the time in the world discussing religion, the occult, and various philosophical subjects, they stopped coming by. I miss them Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
No solicitors.

No barristers, either.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
No solicitors.

No barristers, either.

To think we would lower ourselves to house calls. With a Hebrew signature, I wouldn't be surprised to see this on your door:

!זה רכוש פרטי, חרא קטן

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
!זה רכוש פרטי, חרא קטן
Big Grin

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים