SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Shopping/Marketing Mystery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shopping/Marketing Mystery Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
We like a particular brand and variety of bread.

When da Covid first hit, the shelves for that brand were a tad sparse (as was most bread at the time) and the variety was totally absent. I nabbed the bread guy as he was stocking shelves and he said the bakery wasn't making that variety cuz da Covid. Made no sense to me, but whatever. It eventually came back and has been fine for a year or so.

The last 2-3 weeks, it's been gone again. Cornered the bread guy again and he said "They can't get the wrappers printed." They can get wrappers for a dozen varieties, but not the one we like? WTF?

He did say "This house brand is exactly the same stuff made in the same bakery, just has the generic wrapper." Hey, I get 2% off house brands with my Super Shopper Saver Card, so sure, we'll go that way. Haven't tried it yet, but if it's true, we'll be getting that from now on.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
It's kinda like the Claussen large sandwich slices. We got hooked on them years ago and then for around 10 years you couldn't find them.

Then, around a year ago, they were here again and now they're gone again. They're also gone off Claussen's website so they're probably gone for good.

I'll never understand Marketing.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
It's kinda like the Claussen large sandwich slices. We got hooked on them years ago and then for around 10 years you couldn't find them.

Then, around a year ago, they were here again and now they're gone again. They're also gone off Claussen's website so they're probably gone for good.

I'll never understand Marketing.

I just bought a jar at Krogers a few days ago.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a similar experience. Remembered I had been a baker, and started making a few batches. Turns out I'm still pretty go for a production baker. Now I gotta start some sourdough.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
And now Claussen brought back the huge pickles under a different name.

Picked up 3 jars today, so my hamburger will be complete.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

What's the new name? Can you post a picture of the jar?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

What's the new name? Can you post a picture of the jar?

Did some more investigation. It used to be called burger slices (I called them big ass pickles) now they're called chips. I've got a couple jars of the burger slices left and did a side by side comparison of the pickles and they're identical in every way including diameter.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to find these, to feed my addiction:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, check your email.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post