SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dentist and the numbing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dentist and the numbing Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Paul, it's usually lidocaine.

I have gotten marcaine for longer lasting relief after an apicoectomy though. It was great for the immediate post-op period, but it definitely lulled me into a sense of false safety and I hated life the next day.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Yes. Lidocaine (almost always mixed with a bit of epinephrine) is the standard. Marcaine and Carbocaine for longer or shorter duration.

Injection technique has a lot to do with patient perception. The cheek shaking can provide some distraction and also distribute the fluid. What most patients feel more than the needle itself is the hydraulic dissection that occurs when a bolus of fluid is injected into a confined anatomical space. The speed with which the fluid is injected is important. A second factor is the location. It's a lot easier for fluid to disperse in the buccal vestibule (space along your upper molars and premolars) than on the palate. Numbing the lower arch most often requires an inferior alveolar nerve block due to the pattern of innervation and bone density which is why the injection is given in behind your last molar rather than along the tooth being worked on.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, a bit off course, but--my dentist used a weird syringe, flat handle, with different colored lights on the top.
Know anything about that?

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 686 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it might be this:
https://www.dentistryiq.com/de...or-dental-anesthesia

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 686 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate the numbing gel they use. It tastes awful so I tell my dentist to just give me the shot.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
I hate the damn huge needle.

I used to go to the dental school at UCSF to get work done. One time, it was the head of the department doing a filling for me. He had a very interesting technique that completely changed my way of thinking about dental procedures.

He grabbed the side of my jaw, with his thumb inside my mouth, and shook my jaw as he inserted the needle. I didn't even feel it.

this,

had a root canal in the morning and a crown done the same day,

I hate needles, and I swear the one she had was a foot long, but I did not feel a thing,, all day,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dentist tells me, that he has been using a new stronger topical gel, that often eliminates the need for an injection. He used it once with me on a filling and it worked well.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The dentist I had when I was a kid didn’t use Novocain. The first time I went to military dentist I asked what the hell are you doing. After that, I had little trouble falling asleep

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t mind the needle or numbing but I have a tendency to bite my cheek or tongue while it is numb. That’s always fun for the next several days.

Posts: 900 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
I go the "no novocaine" route.

I am trying to transcend dental medication.

I guess I'm the only member who got the humor. A month late.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Oral surgeons tend to be better at these things.

Most use Propofol

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Had a crown replaced today, a bit o'gel and then the shot, no pain at all.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
My dentist uses a topical to numb before the novacaine injection. Totally painless.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I had the corners of my eyes numbed yesterday for a lacrimal cauterization.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I had the corners of my eyes numbed yesterday for a lacrimal cauterization.

Now I have GOT to do a YouTube search for that procedure!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post