SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Adventure with a dual monitor stand with posted review
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adventure with a dual monitor stand with posted review Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Since having 3 monitors is a real need in my line of work I decided to purchased a well reviewed dual monitor stand off of Amazon.

It did not work out well...now I rarely leave reviews even if the product is less than satisfactory but this item struck a nerve....

My review;
I will admit that one should not write a review while still angry but hey since I am already at my desk due to this failed excrement I figured what the heck. I will give it good point for packaging and ease of assembly but unless adjusted perfectly it is not overly stable.......what? "well of course you dumba** you need to adjust it to make it work"........"AH!" I say that is where the crux lies.....when I went to adjust it the hex wrench spun like a crack head on a marry go round...."Hmmmm, why would this be?" I ask myself. Well duh, the lack of paint around the bolt makes it quite evident I was sent a re-packaged return...not normally a problem....if the person (guessing it was actually a person) can has the benefit of of one of the basic 5 senses...hearing...nope.....smell..... god I hope not.....sight...BINGO!!!...maybe the buggered up hexbolt might be a D*MNED issue. So this evening I wasted 45 minutes of my time to find out that whomever screens returns is obviously more blind than Stevie Wonder in a dust storm. I am returning this item and will copy this review in case for some ODD reason it "disappears". So now to add insult to injury I have to disassemble this "Ooops, did I miss that" and send it back so by the end of this fun fun experiment on how not to run a QA program I will have wasted around 3 hours that I could have spent in something more productive.....like trying to explain to my cat why Marxism is doom to always fail.......or trimming my toe nails......or maybe just yelling at passing cars while flinging pieces of poo or this product since they are the same.

My wife was not amused and said it was not informative but hey.... occasionally I feel the need to sound off.....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I specifically purchased an Amazon refurbished item (new was backordered). This was a dc motor speed controller.

Went to use it and it didn't work. No output power. I opened the cage to see if the fuse was blown, and was shocked to find the fuse was MISSING!

Luckily it was a standard small blade that I had, but left a negative review for Amazon's "Quality Control".

And yes, this was an Amazon refurbished item, backed by Amazon, in Amazon packaging. Just never actually tested by Amazon apparently.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've purchased refurb'd items off Amazon two or three times. In each case they were indistinguishable from new. Luck of the draw, I guess.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I normally avoid anything refurbed, but my cheap gene overruled my common sense and I bought a refurbed computer from Amazon (the saga is posted elsewhere).

It was, of course, less than perfect, but it was a relatively cheap fix and it was still 1/4 the price of new, so I "got away with it" this time, but it reinforced my aversion to all things refurbed.

Getting a refurbed/returned unit when you paid for new is totally unacceptable and would have me fired up enough to dig out my asbestos keyboard...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

I normally avoid anything refurbed . . . my aversion to all things refurbed.
One source of refurb that I trust completely -- not only trust, but in fact, seek out, is anything that I buy from Apple. If the item is available from the Apple website refurb section, I will buy it there. Indistinguishable from new retail, QA is probably better, same Apple warranty as new retail, at a $$ saving.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
If it was in fact sold as a refurb'ed item I would not have gotten so hot. I am a creature of habit so it takes me a bit to change things, timing has to be right yada yada yada...

So when I sat down to change my desk set up I was excited to change it.....I was not overly happy with the balance of the stand to begin with then the stripped bolt just set me off....it is sitting in my front room now waiting to be taken apart and packed up Mad

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
I try to steer clear of anything used as a general rule, but I will buy a refurb in certain circumstances. Business issue PC's (laptops or desktops) coming off lease is one of them. Had good luck there.

But paying for new and getting used? No way. I'd be scalding.

BTW I bought one of these about a month ago. I've been using it for several weeks and I'm pretty pleased with it, if that helps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7ZWC6S/

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You needed to review the seller. Not the product.

You are pulling the product score down when the defect is the result of another customer buggering up the bolt hole and the seller putting back on the shelf.

Unless, of course, the bolt hole damage looks like a manufacturing or design defect. In which case, your rant stands.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post