SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Where are the good reporters??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where are the good reporters?? Login/Join 
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted
Where are the good reporters that know how to fact check and proof read their stories before publishing????.. Example == Today called a local tv station about a article on their news web site. Headlines stated that a new large 18 wheeler truck stop was to be located in a local parish(same as your counties) but upon reading the article is was actually located in a totally different parish(same as your counties). When talking to the reporter on the phone I got the feeling he was upset at me because I found the mistake and tried to get the posting changed which he eventually did. And people can not or do not want to understand why we do not trust news articles. Or just the opposite people blindly believe any thing reported by the media. ....................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I learned to read by reading the local fishwrap. Then a little later I discovered to trust nothing they said. It was a simple evolution, I discovered that any story I had personal knowledge of was always wrong. Not just minor details, but they seemed to always get a major part of it wrong. I learned to just not trust the media. It started with our local paper, but then progressed to include the TV reports. Truth or accuracy just wasn't on the radar.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I discovered that any story I had personal knowledge of was always wrong. Not just minor details, but they seemed to always get a major part of it wrong.

My exact experience that I discovered many years ago.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Because of my positions as the public relations officer with a local Ham Radio Club, I got interviewed by a newspaper reporter annually.

It was always a different one, and they always put things in the article that were never said. I guess journalism died a long time ago.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Where are the good reporters that know how to fact check and proof read their stories before publishing????

If they're anything like an ex-girlfriend of mine, who graduated cumma sum laude with a degree in journalism: They've moved on to more honorable pursuits.

She had become so disgusted with the "news" profession she once said she was embarrassed to admit she'd ever been associated with it.

quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
... I got interviewed by a newspaper reporter annually.

... they always put things in the article that were never said.

That same ex-gf told me "Never talk to reporters." It took me getting burned by "reporters" twice to finally learn the lesson. I refuse to speak to them anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I guess journalism died a long time ago.

I'm thinking that ex-gf left the field sometime in the late 1970's or early 1980's. It was sometime in the mid- to late 1970's I discovered the "news" media was often getting things wrong.

"Coincidentally," both around the time the movie Absence of Malice came out.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Journalism I think never really existed as anything more than an Ideal.

Years ago when I was a kid, I read copies of articles about the fight at ok corral and IIRC they were from the two newspapers in tombstone.

They were both partisan and skewed.

I think both the right and left have left the ideal of journalistic excellent swirling in the porcelain throne.

Over the last 5 years, I have seen both lie, lie through omission, and simply ignore pertinent facts.

I don't fucking trust any reporter, journalist, pundit, commentator, or editorial piece.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve noticed that a large portion of news articles don’t give any information about a story and are just screenshots of Twitter posts.

“A local mandate requiring covid vaccines has ignited a debate. User xxx posted “…”. User yyy says “…”. And user zzz says “…”.

But not everyone agrees that required vaccinationsis the answer however. User aaa posted “…” and user bbb agreed saying “…”.”

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I suspect journalism has always been subjective, inaccurate, and strayed from the facts but we didn't have the ability to fact check like we do today.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The local reporters could use substantial improvement. Investigative journalism in the Wall Street Journal is alive and well. Their investigation of Theranos was outstanding. Years earlier they investigated United Health Care which eventually led to the resignation of the CEO, Dr. Mcguire. There is always some funny business going on in the corporate world as well as Congress.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed.

If you do, you're misinformed.

~Mark Twain

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I suspect journalism has always been subjective, inaccurate, and strayed from the facts but we didn't have the ability to fact check like we do today.

I fall in this camp. There never were many, if any, good reporters. We just didn't have the ability to know on a large scale until relatively recently.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our local Yoop TV news has been full on pandemic, death and get the shot. Parrots all kinds of crap nightly. But guess what? Looks like a big shakeup! Turns out at least two of the "stars" refused the vaccine and are shitcanned. And apparently another has or had sexual harassment issues and has disappeared from the airwaves. The management of the station has been silent thus far.
Quality journalism right there.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are the good reporters that know how to fact check and proof read their stories before publishing????.

No such thing any more.
Remember when the old cronies at Sixty Minutes used to complain about real "news"?
That switched when Dan Rather tried to frame Bush II.
Even they have turned Kommie and joined the "If it bleeds it leads" crowd.
Everything is all slanted to the Left ... heavy.
EVERDAY the Houston Chronicle here headline is anti- conservative in one headline after another.
Now the whole media is on board but even they can't sway the true conservative truth that made America great.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll throw gas on the fire

https://www.billoreilly.com/b/...427171480123798.html

The First TV channel on Roku/ Pluto

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Journalists used to be trained/indoctrinated to 'comfort the afflicted, and afflict the comfortable,' but that took actual work finding out who was whom.

Now they just afflict the readers and push their own points of view, turns out that's way easier.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

I fall in this camp. There never were many, if any, good reporters. We just didn't have the ability to know on a large scale until relatively recently.

^^^^^This

Journalism hasn't been objective since the year 1440 (the year the printing press was invented) and most likely wasn't objective before that either.

If you believe other than that then you haven't been paying attention for the last 581 years.

How many articles have you read on Second Amendment issues? Are they ever accurate? Do you think journalist only lie in Second Amendment articles and are as honest as the day in long for all other types of articles?

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Journalism is like the digestive system. Fair. honest information and facts are ingested into the system where it is broken down and altered and then excreted from the system in two ways. It is either passed from the system as dung or it is vomited up where it is devoured again by other journalists.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
News annoys me as it really turns out to be opinions and propaganda more than what it was intended to be

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of " Journalists " are caught in a situation where they must follow the corporate propaganda line or risk losing a job that they need to enhance their resume . After a while , fabricating the facts becomes SOP .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Last good one died August 2021.

Joe Galloway

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post