SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    This gender pronoun garbage may be what finally breaks me.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This gender pronoun garbage may be what finally breaks me. Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Received this email from an employee today. This whole gender pronoun thing may be my breaking point; I just cannot take this shit seriously.

Hi ! This is A from your store and I wanted to reach out to you and let you know about some harassment that has happened recently in our store and to talk about how we can fix these issues moving forward.
While working at this store, I've noticed we have a diverse staff including members of the lgbtq+ community. Unfortunately, I have also noticed that a few coworkers of mine have issues with addressing others and have made some inappropriate comments that fall under harassment/ discrimination in the 'Respectful Workplace Policy' in our handbook/ code of conduct.

On Friday, I was working on a register and C misgendered me when directing a customer towards my register. She followed this with an apology, she then proceeded to say, "don't take it personally, I use girl pronouns for everyone. My husband has to deal with me calling him 'her'" I would have accepted her apology if she left it at that, however her further comment excusing her actions was inappropriate, telling me to "not take it personally" in front of customers made me so frustrated and uncomfortable because she did not correct herself moving forward. When I have introduced myself to my coworkers I tell them my pronouns so that there is no confusion, yet C continued to use she/her one more time until she left for the day , which is very inappropriate and unprofessional in a workplace environment.

On Saturday, a customer came in with a return. I asked my fellow sales associate D to watch the register while I got help. When I walked to the back I found Villain, forgetting she was an assistant manager, I asked her if she had seen where A was. She replied, "I know that she was in the back room (referencing the storage room) on her break" I replied with emphasis on his pronouns, "HE'S off HIS break now, have you seen HIM since?" She didn't acknowledge her mistake. This made me very frustrated and very uncomfortable because her tone presented that she was trying to be secretive about misgendering A while we had this conversation, from my experience in front of others she hasn't misgendered him but when it was just the two of us she acted inappropriately.

Unlike C, who apologized when she was using the wrong pronouns, Villain did not correct herself, or apologize, or even acknowledge when I corrected her mistake. A presents very masculinly and I have no doubt that Villain's actions were intentional.

I personally know that Villain misgenders and deadnames (call (a transgender person) by their birth name when they have changed their name as part of their gender transition) another assistant manager PRETTY REGULARLY, I myself try to correct Villain regularly on their name and pronouns but she continues to choose to ignore it. When D told me about Villain's disrespect towards me made me livid especially since she is also an assistant manager. After D reported both of these incidents to me on Saturday, I texted My Boss to ask where I could find the / handbook to find the Respectful Workplace Policy because I knew that discrimination in regards to someones gender, gender expression, and gender identity is a violation to policy. My Boss told me to write a full statement for you so we can try and fix this issue as soon as possible. I thought asking D for statements would do better for us since both of these events happened to him and he reported it to me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'd figure out some reason to "let go" of whoever wrote that waste of paper. They have proven themselves to be a potential liability and waste too much time (assuming on company time) whining about make believe bullshit.
Not to mention batshit crazy.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Issue numbers and use them as identifiers.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Good Lord. Get a life, preferably the one you were born with.

My first thought, Who's on first? Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
This goes to show that people will always find something to complain about. They have no clue what harassment really is.

We got rid of harassment but they are taking it to another level. Always finding something to fault.

Just like getting rich from being poor. Now you can afford a larger house and more toys. But you can still find something wrong with your larger house and your ferrari so you want more.

These little whiny bitches - send them to live in some third world country for a few years. Let's see if they complain about gender pronouns then. I wonder if compulsory military boot camp and service for 2 years would change the poor attitudes here.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
deadnames

Well, that's a term I hadn't heard before.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i wonder if this is a scheme to seek a payout. find a corporate store, you and your buddies get a jerb, work a set period. When things are going smoothly start in on the misgender, mis identification and harassment claims. Find a sleazy attorney, small class action lawsuit.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
deadnames

Well, that's a term I hadn't heard before.

It's been around long enough that there is an extension available for Chrome and Firefox called Deadname Remover

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
It used to be called your birth name.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
It used to be called your birth name.

...and when you change your name, it becomes your "dead name"

Seriously I heard the term used many years ago in Family Law Court. It was used by a guys ex-wife when complaining about her ex's family still referring to her by it. She objected to being introduced by the same name as her ex-MIL...couldn't really blame her

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Dude, or el duderino...

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:...

My first thought, Who's on first? Big Grin

'zackly!

"I'm not changin' nobody!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I would refer to they, them or whatever as "shit for brains" or "fucking nitwit" or "ding dong." One thing I wouldn't do is partake in that foolishness.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My company posted something about putting our preferred pronouns in our email signature. And the sheeple are doing it, even if their pronouns are obvious and no one would ever "misgender" them.

So then I started thinking how can I have fun with this:

Bro/Dude
Dude/Bro
El Conquistador / El Conquistador
It/Them

And so on...

If someone really DNFAF this might be interesting:

He/Her/Theirs

Male if subject, female if object, neutral if possessive. Let the Gender Nazis try to figure out what to use when, and bust them with a complaint to HR any time they screw up.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
IMO, lawsuit setup.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I heard a new one the other day. It’s a new label they’ve come up with. It’s called “Two Spirit.” When it was explained to me I did this Roll Eyes

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
...that fall under harassment/ discrimination in the 'Respectful Workplace Policy' in our handbook/ code of conduct.

you are in a no-win situation.

I recommend talking to the offender, in private, and keep the results (and documentation) in privacy as a "personnel matter."

Second, IF a person has decided to change his/her name last week and is too dense to realize 99.99% of the rest of the population would never consider this nor is likely to remember, they also need to be reminded their name/sex change is not going to be and remain the topic of the day in your workplace. However, the other employees will eventually remember. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Did they LEGALLY change their name in a court of law? If not, anything else is a nickname and can be ignored. As far as gender pronouns, I’m a fan of those who use Lordship, Emperor, etc. If people want to play this silly shit, make them play it as well.

Posts: 1501 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
i wonder if this is a scheme to seek a payout. find a corporate store, you and your buddies get a jerb, work a set period. When things are going smoothly start in on the misgender, mis identification and harassment claims. Find a sleazy attorney, small class action lawsuit.

Exactly this. It appears there is an HR policy that addresses this "issue" and some action must be taken and documented. Not taking action on an employee complaint can result in all manner of nonsense.

HR is oblivious to unintended consequences (aka HR is clueless) but will stand behind the policy. Good people may get hurt in the process. I suspect the rush to virtue signaling over the past 18 months will result in many cases like this.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Back when I was part of the corporate world I got a disciplinary letter put in my file for referring to our management group as "you guys" in a meeting. There was one female manager. She took exception. She invited me into her office the next day to review and sign the letter. I feigned reading it with interest and handed it back to her saying this is wrong. She said are you denying you referred to our group as "you guys"?

I replied "I Am. I said You'se guys"! Never did sign that letter but when you refuse the senior manager signs it and puts it in you're file anyhow. Best part was she lost her job about six months later and I was chosen to replace her.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post