SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    This gender pronoun garbage may be what finally breaks me.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This gender pronoun garbage may be what finally breaks me. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
I have actually been corrected that “y’all” is singular and “all y’all” is the plural form.

If you had to be corrected, it just shows you ain't from 'round here. Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13410 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
I have actually been corrected that “y’all” is singular and “all y’all” is the plural form.

Actually it sounds like he was corrected by someone who isn't from around here. Smile "Y'all" is plural. I know people claim that it's used in the singular, but I suspect they are transplants and probably put sugar or jelly in their grits. "All y'all" is redundant, but is sometimes used to emphasize a point, as in, "All y'all Yankees need to quit telling us how good the Big 10 is." Big Grin

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

And Cream -O- Wheat, ain't even wore out grits. They's just nasty.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43800 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Cream -O- Wheat, ain't even wore out grits. They's just nasty.

Amen, Mr. Monkey, amen.

God bless America.

Posts: 13410 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
"Our grits is good. Try one."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30536 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My pronouns are "she/it". Come on, say it fast...

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

Actually it sounds like he was corrected by someone who isn't from around here. Smile "Y'all" is plural. I know people claim that it's used in the singular, but I suspect they are transplants and probably put sugar or jelly in their grits. "All y'all" is redundant, but is sometimes used to emphasize a point, as in, "All y'all Yankees need to quit telling us how good the Big 10 is." Big Grin

Y'all can be either singular or plural, it is usually used in a positive or neutral context. "Y'all good." All Y'all is generally used to emphasize something in the negative "All y'all need to shut the f up or I am gonna start kicking some ass!"

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
If this shit shows up at my job, I am just going to give my employees pledge names.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
We have two “transitioning” people at work so we have to be careful what we say. They’re both nice and haven’t started any trouble. Yet.

Posts: 13731 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:

We have two “transitioning” people at work so we have to be careful what we say. They’re both nice and haven’t started any trouble. Yet.
The first time I encountered this was around 1984. The "transitioning" person was a decent guy (going by his plumbing at birth) and was pretty low key, but some of his friends were overly protective of him and created a situation that required people to tread carefully.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30536 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I hate this sort of thing and, if you're in a big company, I'd have handed it to HR. In part because our firm has really strict requirements for managers to report this sort of stuff to HR. So, I would have responded as follows:

NAME, I will be taking the following action.

1. I've included HR on this email asking for guidance on the following:

a. Does the the unintentional use of the wrong pronoun constitute discrimination or harassment?

b. Is it appropriate for a lower level associate to go out of their way to take on the role of pronoun policeman? [I might reword this in the final]

c. Other than my planned action in item 2, what actions need to be taken to comply the company's policy?

2. I will remind person, person, person, to strive to use the preferred pronoun.

Hopefully this person performs their job in an effective and efficient manner. if not, perhaps that needs to be communicated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SR,

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4886 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Back when I was part of the corporate world I got a disciplinary letter put in my file for referring to our management group as "you guys" in a meeting. There was one female manager. She took exception. She invited me into her office the next day to review and sign the letter. I feigned reading it with interest and handed it back to her saying this is wrong. She said are you denying you referred to our group as "you guys"?

I replied "I Am. I said You'se guys"! Never did sign that letter but when you refuse the senior manager signs it and puts it in you're file anyhow. Best part was she lost her job about six months later and I was chosen to replace her.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3757 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Back when I was part of the corporate world I got a disciplinary letter put in my file for referring to our management group as "you guys" in a meeting. There was one female manager. She took exception. She invited me into her office the next day to review and sign the letter. I feigned reading it with interest and handed it back to her saying this is wrong. She said are you denying you referred to our group as "you guys"?

I replied "I Am. I said You'se guys"! Never did sign that letter but when you refuse the senior manager signs it and puts it in you're file anyhow. Best part was she lost her job about six months later and I was chosen to replace her.

I would have hand written,
I do not agree with the statement of fact. I said "you'se guys" which is an all inclusive (and common) southern phrase meaning everyone. The northern slag would be "yous guys." The northern variant is also an all inclusive descriptor.

I'd have then asked for a copy and enjoyed the fact they would be sending in something that makes them look stupid.

Posts: 4886 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Jordan Peterson refers to this kind of thing as fantasy play for adults. Children create these fantasies as a matter of their psychological development. Cowboys and Indians err Native Americans.

The difference being, when little J'ohnnie and Sha-quinda Sue take on fantasy roles in their backyard, they aren't harrassing society with some of the stupidest bullshit to ever appear on this planet.

Pitty us fools that are caught in today's corporate world. It's really impossible to anticipate what one might say that will be offensive to someone in the room or on the call. I'm glad I'm close to retirement.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Why do you have to be careful?

I had to sit through one of these bullshit classes a while ago, one if the punk instructors had a "favorite cousin" or some shit that was fucked up in the head. Was a (wo)man and wanted to be a (wo)man or whatever.
Instructor was all "I need to be more sensitive and careful..."

FUCK THAT!

Being the "politically correct" man that I am, I informed Mr Sensitive that maybe if he really liked said cousin, he would help it find some qualified mental health dr's and address the problem, and-

Maybe it is "It" that needs to be more careful and understanding!
You (and many others) have been conditioned to call "X", well "X".
Now, all of a sudden, it wants to be called "Y". It expects the rest of us to automatically change direction, after how many years, then gets all "offended" when after YEARS of taking a right hand turn, we still make a right hand turn.

Like I said- FUCK THAT!
Throw that stuff back in its face.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8314 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I miss "The Greaseman" on the radio.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3757 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
Pitty us fools that are caught in today's corporate world. It's really impossible to anticipate what one might say that will be offensive to someone in the room or on the call. I'm glad I'm close to retirement.

I was working on a job in the Financial District in San Francisco years ago when the sexual harassment thing really ramped up.

Anyway, a great looking woman with an exceptionally low cut blowse walked by and I took a good long look at her.

A Project Manager who was also working there saw me do it and told me that if he reported me, they'd call my boss and get me fired.

I told him to go ahead, I owned my own company and I doubted the asshole who ran it would do a thing to me.

End of discussion.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
This person pronoun business is beyond me. How a singular person can go by they/them just boggles my mind.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:

So you have two mentally disturbed people at your work. Be careful.

Having thought his over people that have to put up with this crap should take on their own "pronouns" and change them once or twice a week. Any of the little pronoun nazi's report every time they don't remember what your current fluidity is that day.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Why do you have to be careful?

Lawsuits, large settlements, you losing your job for saying the wrong thing even if you didn't know it was the wrong thing, etc....

Instead of simply rolling their eyes and telling the offendee to grow up and get back to work, the powers that be don't dick around with this stuff anymore. They can't afford to.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post