SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Furnace filter!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Furnace filter! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My furnace guy says Merv 8 and he is been in the HVAC business forty years. I have air filters in the bedroom and those make a difference. Considering a new system in about 15 grand I am not taking chances.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We put an AprilAire Filter on our air handler last year, Filter is $57 20x20x4 Merv13 or a Hondo for two. Lucky they last for 6 to 12 months, and it's due for a change so annualized cost isn't bad.

Never could find OTC compatible filters for the stock housing on the Carrier unit, they use a proprietary non standard size.

Didn't we have a member that sold these things at one time, IIRC...

There are plenty of options for non AprilAire branded 20x20x4 on Amazon and the other recommended sights, good thing on Amazon the shipping is free..

Posts: 23505 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Didn't we have a member that sold these things at one time
Excam_man. He is in the HVAC business. He recommended MERV 8 when I asked him. He quoted me $99 for a dozen 18 x 18 x 1 filters, including insured shipping from Indiana.

Haven't seen him on the forum for about six months, at which time he and another member had a less than friendly exchange.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30704 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Never could find OTC compatible filters for the stock housing on the Carrier unit, they use a proprietary non standard size.

My Carrier filters are 16 1/2 x 21 1/2 x 1. None of the box stores carry it.
Amazon has them. I use merv 11. 6 pack for 66 dollars.

Posts: 957 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Here's what Excam_Man, a HVAC professional, said about MERV. Basically, with standard 1" thick filters, don't go over MERV 8. Higher is not better.

quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Proper airflow is the key to an efficient HVAC system, which will provide years of reliable service.

Low airflow, stresses the whole heating system. From over worked blower motors to excessive temps on venter assemblies and everything in between. Low airflow causes higher temperature rises across the heat exchangers. Not only stressing the components, but allowing hotter air to be exhausted. Costing money by lowing efficiencies.

So, if your system is already lacking return/supply ducting, adding a more restrictive filter will only cause further stress/damage to the system.

Another thing to look at is the filter's construction. Is it flimsy or will it hold up to the suction created by the blower? Too many times a cheap flimsy filter will be pulled out of the filter rack by the blowers suction. Allowing dust to bypass the filter. The evaporator for the cooling system now becomes the filter. When the coil becomes plugged, you now have a costly cleaning bill.

With compromised systems, a fiberglass filter is the best choice. Allowing for maximum airflow with the least restriction possible.

Sticking to 3/4" (x1) filters, I don't recommend going over MERV 8. Do to the fact they simply don't have the required media to allow for proper airflow.

Media filters (3-5" thick) are available for better filtration, to keep equipment operating at peak efficiencies or for someone who has allergies. The Trion Air Bear system is great for this at MERV 11. The extra media allows for better filtration, while allowing for proper airflow.

Higher MERV filters should only be used with media systems. As standard x1" filter racks don't allow for enough media to allow for proper airflow.

Filters cause more equipment failures than people realize. Cheap filter construction and high MERV filters are HVAC system killers.

Posts: 32531 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post