SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What is the reverse of "debunked"?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the reverse of "debunked"? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
I find the antonyms for the term to be inconcise, esthetically bland and non-poetic.

"Need antonyms for debunked? Here's a list of opposite words from our thesaurus that you can use instead."

"Opposite of past tense for to demonstrate or expose to the falsehood of something:

confirmed established proved prove proven validated verified substantiated supported corroborated authenticated certified demonstrated showed shown vindicated checked evidenced upheld upholden ratified warranted justified accredited attested endorsed backed up attested to testified to vouched for demonstrated the truth of showed beyond doubt shown beyond doubt showed to be true shown to be true beared witness to gave credence to given credence to lent weight to gave weight to given weight to gave force to given force to pinned down sussed out"

https://www.wordhippo.com/what...ite-of/debunked.html

Why not rebunked? Simple and easy to remember.

And what about the first time inaccurate information was presented?

Would that have been an "embunked" report?

What if preliminary notification was offered that a report was soon to be presented (with prior knowledge that it will be full of bunk)?

Would that report have been "probunked", or maybe, "prebunked"?

Posts: 15847 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of George Carlin and his routine when he said the plural of stewardess should be stewardi. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Based on de and bunk, it should mean to remove the bunk. So you would take a false statement and remove the bunk, therefore making it a true statement.

So the opposite would be to put the bunk back into things. So yes, rebunked would work if the word was being used correctly to begin with.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
debunked

Confirm, affirm, reaffirm, assert

El Linko!

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Bunked

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
This begs the question…..

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Proven or proven true?

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Verified

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
What is the reverse of "debunked?"

Proven.

"rebunked" would be to put false information back into the word, phrase, sentence, or statement.

"Enbunked" would be to falsify in the first place.

"Probunked" would be to falsify for money.

"Prebunked" would be to lay the groundwork for falsification or fraud.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of a long discussion we had in my first year German class back in college:
What's the opposite of I must?

Is it I must not?

Or is it I don't have to?

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Substantiated.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
This reminds me of a long discussion we had in my first year German class back in college:
What's the opposite of I must?

Is it I must not?

Or is it I don't have to?

I agree with "I don't have to!"

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the reverse of "debunked"?

"Going to bed"? Big Grin

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why are postal workers always disgruntled? When are they ever simply gruntled?

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyAgShooter:
Why are postal workers always disgruntled? When are they ever simply gruntled?

About as frequently as they are whelmed.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
What's the opposite of inept? Have you ever heard of anyone who's ept?

Posts: 27837 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen drill sergeants debunk people.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post